Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

ls/vtec or b18c alternative

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  LsVtecR 
#1 ·
I was thinking about doing a ls/vtec or b18c swap into my 1991 Integra LS. I read all about if you do ls/vtec right and spend the $, there should not be a reliability issue.

I found this link this week. And basically it is suggesting instead of ls/vtec or b18c (which causes more $). Why not put in a b16a1 engine and built it to 210-220 HP. I like to hear what you guys think ...

http://www.hondastyle.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=33

Joe

#5 ·
a b16 is a good motor...but if ur gonna get it to 200+ all motor horsepower, ur gonna spend more than waht the motor is worth. b16's are hard to work w/ and produce very little torque. i myself have a b20 w/a b16 head and tranny in a EG and the torque difference is a big gap. If u do the ls/vtec right u should be okay. A gsr motor is ok..but more expensive than the ls/vtec.

#6 ·
I have a GSR motor and I am deciding to go with LS/Vtec because of the r/s ratio which creates more torque than the GSR. As somebody said before, creating a b16a to 200 whp is pretty hard and plus the torque on it will suck bad compared to a 200whp Ls/vtec or GSR.

Also the B16a head and the B18c1 head are different. B18c1 head will yield a higher compression because of the design. Plus the bolts on the intake manifolds are different.

#7 ·
if you do ls/vtec use the b16 head, because if later you want to use a b18c5 intake manifold it will bolt straight up...the gsr head is different on the intake side....and anyway..the gsr motors are over priced

#10 ·
VTECsqznN2O said:
if you do ls/vtec use the b16 head, because if later you want to use a b18c5 intake manifold it will bolt straight up...the gsr head is different on the intake side....and anyway..the gsr motors are over priced
i have a B16 head w/ an ITR intake manifold on my LS block. it's awesome and runs really strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.