Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing a ls/vtec or b18c swap into my 1991 Integra LS. I read all about if you do ls/vtec right and spend the $, there should not be a reliability issue.

I found this link this week. And basically it is suggesting instead of ls/vtec or b18c (which causes more $). Why not put in a b16a1 engine and built it to 210-220 HP. I like to hear what you guys think ...

http://www.hondastyle.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=33

Joe

· Registered
264 Posts
i read his article...and it is ok..but still crap...

look at all that work he is talkin about????....pistons, rods, sleeves, crank.....and he has the nerve to say it is same cost of an LS/VTEC?????!!!????

listen..no matter what u do with the 1.6L motor..u will still lack the torque...and no matter what honda uses to make HP, torque is what engines NEED.

a stock LS VTEC with cams is known to hit the 206 mark,,,,(this is the GSR head, go to www.importreview.com and check the dyno sheets.

when u have more torque..u have higher limitations... thats the bottom line...

yes my LS/VTEC might not be reliable (i hope not, up to date it has never let me down, no smoke, no problems)...but the cost of you boring out the B16 and then replacing pistons..i can just build a LS/VTEC with a B20 and replace pistons for a cheaper price.

LS/VTEC's are great motors, they just need more attention is building them...it not about the money, just take your time and do a perfect job..and you will reep the benifits, of making HP..

FROM BOTH TORQUE AND RPMs..

later

· Registered
1,017 Posts
B16A's are no good in integras. I have seen this swap too many times. The B16A doens't pull any harder then the LS they had in there before.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ls/vtec / gsr swap / type r swap

chingro,

which head do you have ? b16a or b18c ?

For power and reliability, do you prefer going ls/vtec better than b18c1 or b18c5 ? Assuming ls/vtec is $5k and b18c1 is $5k and b18c5 is $6k. What would you suggest ?

Thanks,

Joe

· Registered
31 Posts
I would choose a B18C1 over LS VTEC if the price are the same. In fact, here is the order I would go...(1) B18C5, (2) B18C1, (3) LS/VTEC even if the B18C5 costs 1K more.
The problem with LS/VTEC is the stock bottom-end revving to 8000RPM redline. On the other hand, getting a B18C1 or B18C5 would be a straight forward swap. Just drop the motor in and go...and the reliability of B18C1 and B18C5 motor is top notch.

· Registered
264 Posts
Re: ls/vtec / gsr swap / type r swap

91int said:
chingro,

which head do you have ? b16a or b18c ?

Joe
hehehe...i wuz wondering when one yahh will ask that...

look at my signature:cool: ---

a ls/vtec does not cost 5k....if i had 5k i would have a type R in my car right now.

...i not sure how much it will cost yall...that i up to u to search around....

i got the COMPLETE head swap and LS gasket for $400....
i did the swap myself..took me about 2-3 days...(about 3.5 hrs a day)

well later

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Re: Re: ls/vtec / gsr swap / type r swap

chingro said:

hehehe...i wuz wondering when one yahh will ask that...

look at my signature:cool: ---

a ls/vtec does not cost 5k....if i had 5k i would have a type R in my car right now.

...i not sure how much it will cost yall...that i up to u to search around....

i got the COMPLETE head swap and LS gasket for $400....
i did the swap myself..took me about 2-3 days...(about 3.5 hrs a day)

well later
So you just did the head swap? What kind of numbers are you putting down?

· Registered
264 Posts
i really dont know..but i can give u an idea

well i not sure how much....

with the GSR ecu..i beat gsr's easily....

but with the LS ecu, they have me on the top end..(my redline is at 6800)...but even with the LS ecu i still beat the B16A's even in civics...

i use the LS ecu for daily driving..and GSR ecu for racing...
with both i have the VTEC effect cuz i have the fields conrtoller
-----------------------------
english town opens soon..i will get a time slip for yall...

· Registered
1,017 Posts
chingro said:
i did nuthing..

my mechanic dis something that fools the ecu....but the check engine light sometimes come on.

but remember i only use the gsr ecu when racing.
Why do you only use the GSR ecu for racing?

So for daily driving you use the stock LS ecu and just use a V-AFC to control the vtec?

· Registered
264 Posts
deMad10 said:

So for daily driving you use the stock LS ecu and just use a V-AFC to control the vtec?
ans: higher rev limiter is the main reason

ans: yes i use the LS ecu for daily driving, it burns less gas, and VTEC controller (fields) open VTEC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.