Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
fack...

ok.. first of all a complete VTEC head in good condition, modded p28, and to make it easy, the eagle ls/v conversion kit. if you wanna add stuff to make it more peppy, gs-r or itr crank, b16 pistons, b16 or gsr tranny. most of all, have a good shop to do it for you (including tuning).

edit: don't forget to replace the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and oil pump.. iono i'm forgetting stuff, i know it. whatever, have fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok

should i replace the waterpump, timing belt, and all that stuff right when i get the ls/v swap or can i wait a little bit before changing all that stuff. im going to need a new tranny right??and some new ecu programing, what do u suggest.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
you might as well replace them while all this other stuff is being done. you don't need a new tranny, but the shorter gearing of the gsr, itr, or b16 tranny would make the ls/v a lot better. as for the ecu, you can order one from phearable.net
you'll need a chipped p28. after you get it, take that sucker to a tuning shop with a dyno and have them program it for you.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
ZcKinG said:
i wanna get new pistons so my bottom end will be stronger........will have to get new valve springs when i put the b16 head on or are they good enought usually?
well the head should come complete.. that means IM, TB, camshafts, valves, springs, etc.. you get the point. as far as bottom end being stronger, i'd worry about the rods and crank before i worry about the pistons.

·
Registered
413 Posts
flyracerx said:
well the head should come complete.. that means IM, TB, camshafts, valves, springs, etc.. you get the point. as far as bottom end being stronger, i'd worry about the rods and crank before i worry about the pistons.
First thing i would upgrade on the bottom end is the weak ls rod bolts. Put in some ARP rod bolts. Balancing the whole rotating assembly helps also. :tu

·
Registered
130 Posts
well if you are going to take the motor out .. get the apr rod bolts change out your main and rod bearings .. and get a block gridle like the gsr ..if you dont change the pistons i dont know if you want really big cams ..for me rolling with a b20vtec with stock bottom and almost stock gsr head is great ..i did it for like 8 months driving hard no problems .. but now im in afganastan so i couldnt do a full year .. i hand polished my intake and exhaust ports and i got a blox intake manifold since my gsr head didnt come with a manifold ..it depends what kinda racing you do and how much you want to spend .. i would say jdm itr pistons with stock crank and rods ..apr rod bolts ..a block gridle ..any vtec head thats cheap ..ctr cams with omni valve springs ...a motor built like that will last ..mine i dont know yet ...i race on a road track where response on coners is a must and good handling really strong motor is not needed ...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
krzintegraboi said:
well if you are going to take the motor out .. get the apr rod bolts change out your main and rod bearings .. and get a block gridle like the gsr ..if you dont change the pistons i dont know if you want really big cams ..for me rolling with a b20vtec with stock bottom and almost stock gsr head is great ..i did it for like 8 months driving hard no problems .. but now im in afganastan so i couldnt do a full year .. i hand polished my intake and exhaust ports and i got a blox intake manifold since my gsr head didnt come with a manifold ..it depends what kinda racing you do and how much you want to spend .. i would say jdm itr pistons with stock crank and rods ..apr rod bolts ..a block gridle ..any vtec head thats cheap ..ctr cams with omni valve springs ...a motor built like that will last ..mine i dont know yet ...i race on a road track where response on coners is a must and good handling really strong motor is not needed ...
I heard that it is very difficult to swap a GSR block girdle into a B18b, as it requires machine work to make it fit. Do tehy sell block girdles for the B18a/b, and are they as good as a stock GSR/ITR one? For reasons like this, it is almost impossible to get a "complete" swap. There are many things about the GSR motor and tranny that aren't on the LS motors, which is why I discourage LS/VTEC altogether.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.