Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here on this thread done this swap? im about to buy a CRX and thinking of doing the LS swap. Not sure how reliable it is with turbo some i herd say its really bad and some say its good. wanted to see what yalls opinion is who have expierenced this swap.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i would be more worried about the reliablility on the LS-VTEC motor rather then the turbo part of the equation....LS-Vtec is a nice powerplant, but change the crank to a CTR so that you would have a better R/S and your car would be like a big bore CTR.......i have seen LS-Vtec's goin down the crapper becasue they were not built rite.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well unforutnatly im not doing the swap cuz i still dont know how to do them. But if the LS vtec is built right would it be reliable? people who are doing it for me has done this before. and if i dont go with vtec head how much diffrence in hp and in the long run diffrence of hp would it come out to be?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
if you just stuck with the LS motor and built the engine and slapped on a TD04 turbo and boosted to about 15psi....your shit would b fast as hell....as for the reliability of the LS-Vtec...it has been done over and over and over again....there is just too much stress on the engine....like i said...put in a CTR crank w/ the vtec head and you would have a destroked, big bore CTR motor and with turbo it would rev faster then shit

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try the turbo furom! People do run boosted LS/vtecs you would want a standalone for tuning for sure. And everything forged you could if you have money to burn do it, if not don't try. Just build up the ls bottomend and port the head, get a block gaurd and hello 20psi.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
decided not to do the ls/vtec yall were right i talked to 2 people that have done it here and its really messed up engine about to blow. cuz the compression ratio. so i am going to stick with the ls turbo. i got the engine for 200 30k on it with tranny.. now gotta find a damn crx. and need to get a turbo. thanks for yalls help

·
Registered
404 Posts
ive seen a built high compression lsvtec run...they are quick..
but ive seen the same motor blow rod bearings before it was built.

if u want a reliable turbo setup just go wit the ls motor..changing heads will not help in the long run..plus it will cost more $$ to do it right..
a stock lsvtec turbo will not last very long!

however ive heard ls turbos have been running fine for years!
both setups are possible..but in my opinion its a waste to put the vtec head on there...cuz u cant use it with the turbo...the block just wont hold that high of rpms wit the vtec head and turbo...unless built PROPERLY...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
CRXtc said:
if you just stuck with the LS motor and built the engine and slapped on a TD04 turbo and boosted to about 15psi....your shit would b fast as hell....as for the reliability of the LS-Vtec...it has been done over and over and over again....there is just too much stress on the engine....like i said...put in a CTR crank w/ the vtec head and you would have a destroked, big bore CTR motor and with turbo it would rev faster then shit
I have a chance to get a TD04 turbo for free, would it be good for a GSR motor thats going into my 93 Civic hatchback? How much could I safely boost?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
yeah....it will be laggy though......get a 12lb flywheel......with a stock motor dont boost higher then 12psi......

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Are sure we're talking about thew same turbo? The TD04 is the one that comes in the Civic Greddy Kit, isn't it? Would I be better off with a T3/T4 ? Would that be laggy?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
maybe not....what i mean is instead of getting a hybrid t3/t4 unit...just go with a T4 unit so you can boost high and with custom internals so it spools faster

·
Registered
798 Posts
boosted LS/VTEC would actually be much more reliable then all motor LS/VTEC if you think about it....

Figure on shifting @7k every time if boosted..... the internals can easily handle it if built right. The reason most LS/VTECS spin rod bearings, blow oil pumps is because people try and rev them to 8200+, which is where the really shitty R/S will fuck your motor...

I would just go LS turbo, like you said. VTEC isn't really all that much of a difference in a boosted car....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
YEP...THATS WHY THE JSRC DISABLES VTEC.....KINDA FUNNY WHEN PEOPLE WASTE ALL THAT MONEY ON A VTEC ENGINE AND THEN THE S/C IT AND THEY DONT HAVE VTEC N E MORE....

·
Registered
333 Posts
SO YOU CAN RUN 12LBS OF BOOST ON A STOCK LS MOTOR?
I HEARD THAT 10 IS PUSHING IT...I HAVE A GREDDY KIT WITH AN INTERCOOLER AND OIL COOLER FOR MY LS MOTOR....HAVENT PUT IT ON YET... WHAT IS THE MAX BOOST THAT I CAN RUN WITH STOCK INTERNALS?? I WAS ONLY PLANNING ON RUNNING 7-8 LBS SO I DONT BLOW IT UP.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
MY HOMIES HAVE ALL RUN 12PSI SAFELY......BUT IF YOU WANNA RUN 7-8 DO THAT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts