Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think of an ls/vtec in a 1999 civic si with a vortech supercharger? good idea or bad idea? the only reason i ask is my buddy is giving me a complete b18 for free and i was going to use that but either way with the b16 or ls/vtec im doing a vortech supercharger.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i'm thinking stupid fast!!! i looked at a vortech charger but damn they aint cheap........maybe one day :rolleyes

Reactions: 2000redCIVICsi

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
just know your going to have alot of wheelspin, up top you wont be too slow either. My all motor ls/vtec had traction problems in first gear, with a supercharger itll be way worse.....it should be fun though. Also, run you r ls/vtec without the s/c for a month or so then install the s/c. youll be glad you did. any more questions let me know. I took a mean crash course in ls/vtec stuff.......

Reactions: killer B

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
further help questions

2000redCIVICsi said:
just know your going to have alot of wheelspin, up top you wont be too slow either. My all motor ls/vtec had traction problems in first gear, with a supercharger itll be way worse.....it should be fun though. Also, run you r ls/vtec without the s/c for a month or so then install the s/c. youll be glad you did. any more questions let me know. I took a mean crash course in ls/vtec stuff.......
what did you do when you decided to do the ls/vtec ie. did you need anything other than the block and internals from the b18, was it basically a direct replacement of the b16 block and internals?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I hate the Vortech with a passion. Sure it's a nice setup...but it's so fucking expensive....you could spend the same and have an AWESOME turbo setup.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
92h23 said:
what did you do when you decided to do the ls/vtec ie. did you need anything other than the block and internals from the b18, was it basically a direct replacement of the b16 block and internals?

NOOOOOOO that might get you the same number of your stock motor if your lucky, unless your boosting with a turbo.....i ran the ls crank and rods (duh) with Si b16 pistons, ported/polished b16 head with gsr cams, make sure you use ARP headstuds and rod bolts.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gurusan said:
I hate the Vortech with a passion. Sure it's a nice setup...but it's so fucking expensive....you could spend the same and have an AWESOME turbo setup.
I dont know where you guys are seein prices for the vortech but its not that expensive the kit i found is under four grand which is about the same as the full race turbo kit or tsi or turbonetics.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2000redCIVICsi said:
NOOOOOOO that might get you the same number of your stock motor if your lucky, unless your boosting with a turbo.....i ran the ls crank and rods (duh) with Si b16 pistons, ported/polished b16 head with gsr cams, make sure you use ARP headstuds and rod bolts.....
I have plans on boosting so obviously im gonna do dished pistons to get an 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression and a forged crank and i plan on letting golden eagle build the motor as much as id like to do it myself i dont have that kind of time, its either golden eagle or a local honda tuning shop here in tucson called collective racing.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
92h23 said:
I have plans on boosting so obviously im gonna do dished pistons to get an 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression and a forged crank and i plan on letting golden eagle build the motor as much as id like to do it myself i dont have that kind of time, its either golden eagle or a local honda tuning shop here in tucson called collective racing.

You dont need compression that loow unless your running more than 7-8 lbs

·
Registered
205 Posts
I say you stay with just the LS/VTEC and build the head, and use the left over cash on suspensions/brakes.. you can get 200WHP easily on a LS/VTEC and that whould be enough to make you happy.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
92h23 said:
I dont know where you guys are seein prices for the vortech but its not that expensive the kit i found is under four grand which is about the same as the full race turbo kit or tsi or turbonetics.
4 grand is expensive as hell.

Fullrace, TSI, turbonetics..hell all turbo kits are a rip off.

I pieced mine together for about 1500 and it's good for almost 500whp

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm with the guy who said ditch the Vortech. For a spendy item like it is you'll get mad parasitic loss... not to mention no FMIC!

Reactions: gurusan
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.