Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 93 integra ls this spring, and now that its getting hot out a problem is starting to show up. it wont start. the starter is good, the engine sounds like it wants to crank and then the rpm drop to 0... oh and while they are dropping the accelerator wont work. battery is good, tank is full, all other fluids are topped off. it only happens when the car sits in the sun for about an hour after I turn it off. um...trying to be as specific as possible... I can get it started but it takes about half an hour. usually at that point when you just start hitting your head on the wheel, "fuck it...one more" and it kicks on. I dont have any idea what it might be, best guess is something in the fuel system. if any one has seen this before please let me know how you fixed it. :banghead: anything...

Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
try replacing the Main Relay.........it's this big ugly relay under the drivers side dash (near the fuses) with about 8 wires going to it............I see it all the time in Accords in that year range and other models.........Try that first. It's an elaborate Relay that activates pretty much everything to start the car. What happens is the inside of the car heats up and so does the relay, the metal contacts inside expand and widen the gap making it unable to conect stuff like the Fuel pump for power.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea what one of those runs $, or where I could find it at the best price? I'll do some shopping to see what I can come up with. I'm in virginia just outside DC so repair shops will charge crazy money for nothing... I'll give this a go. thanks,
chris
any other ideas that it might be?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
squatch said:
any idea what one of those runs $, or where I could find it at the best price? I'll do some shopping to see what I can come up with. I'm in virginia just outside DC so repair shops will charge crazy money for nothing... I'll give this a go. thanks,
chris
any other ideas that it might be?
If you google it, there is a write up on how to fix it... BTW, If I search my trunk, I think that I may have an extra one... I will have to search... That is exactly what it sounds like, that its your Main Relay..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Honestly dude............just get a new one from Honda. It's one of those things that's just gonna igve you problems if you go Aftermarket or used. I wanna say Honda gets like $60 for them.......but don't quote me, I'm not 100% sure on that (I just install them, not order them lol)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
60$ seems steep but your right, if it'll keep me from looking like a jackass and killing my battery trying to get it going it would be worth it.
if your willing to part with it, how much would you want for your spare?
anyway, thanks for the help, you all have no idea what a relief it is to hear that this may besomething I can fix myself... appreciate it :D
chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually...I work as a guitar tech and I can solder like a fricken pro. I'm going to try my hand at repairing the one I have. I'll let you knowhow it goes.
chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've heard of Honda techs in the south doing that when the relays were back ordered. But I think what needs to get fixed isn't as easy at the melted blob, or the black burst area. But hey what do you have to lose by trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.