Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a dumb question but what does it mean when you buy a transmission and it asks you if you want LSD with it? i know it's not talking about the drugs, but i want to know what it is.

Also what does it mean when, next to H22 motor parts it has a choice between SH and non-SH. does the certain type affect the parts at all or is it just a spec difference?

thx for the hizzelp guys :D

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
SH is for a Prelude. It push torque to the outer wheel. The new RL's have them also!

If you are planning a swap in any other car then a Lude the get a non-SH with LSD

LSD = Limit split diff.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Type_SH RaCer said:
SH is for a Prelude. It push tuorq to the outer wheel. The new RL's have them also!

If you are planning a swap in any other car then a Lude the get a non-SH with LSD

LSD = Limit split diff.
cause prelude is heavier? it makes sense to need more torque cause of that. Why wouldn't it work for accords? just curious.

I've heard of 'Limited SLIP differential" but not limited split diff... and i always thought that was just for RWD cars... then i remembered my transmission class from last semester... whew! no, i just need a new brain then i'll be ok... i'll be ok... i'll be ok... lol

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
foozbal said:
cause prelude is heavier? it makes sense to need more torque cause of that. Why wouldn't it work for accords? just curious.

I've heard of 'Limited SLIP differential" but not limited split diff... and i always thought that was just for RWD cars... then i remembered my transmission class from last semester... whew! no, i just need a new brain then i'll be ok... i'll be ok... i'll be ok... lol

"SP" SLIP

LSD is more for going str8. Where SH aka ATTS is for cornering!

This will help you! It will be hardx2 to get it working right!

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189094&highlight=atts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i still don't see why you can't put the SH in the accord to help with cornering... is the engine just bigger or are there other complications? it sounds like a great thing to have.

If i want to have a car for the road course is it smart or worth it, to buy an LSD with the tranny? and where can i get SH if it's even feasable for the accord?

thx

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
well, LSD is mainly for drag racing. One wheel tire fire might look cool but it kills 60ft times. lol but yea isn't the SH like four wheel steering or whatever? i'm not too 'lude savvy

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
i have no idea why the hell you guys think an lsd is only for straight line traction...try putting power down through a corner with a powerful fwd car and watch yourself roast the inside tire without an lsd

an lsd was meant to help cars put down power to the ground and prevent inside wheels spin..NOT for drag racing...yes drag racers can use it but an lsd is much more useful with turning, accelerating, and braking

the atts system in a way acts like an lsd, but isn't as efficient as proper lsd's like qualfe (spelling) or others...plus the atts is a very heavy system...but the system isn't as bad as vlsd bs...you're better off getting a true lsd

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ok never mind i was thinking posi when mentioning lsd, lol, and when i had the detroit locker in my mustang if i took a long corner i had to watch out because sometimes it would lock in the middle of the turn and then my rear end would break loose and that would not be a good thing if you're in the middle of a controlled high speed turn. sorry i forgot the LIMITED SLIP part, lol.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
LSD = Limited Slip Differential = Both wheels spin at the same time under almost all conditions. Without LSD .. the wheel with less traction does all the spinning.

Prelude SH is a model .. most parts for the SH do not fit a 'non-SH' .. SH is the H23 and non-SH is usually the H22 i beleive .. also somewhere in there they have an F22 SOHC Prelude, but who really cares about that :p

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
foozbal said:
i still don't see why you can't put the SH in the accord to help with cornering...

thx
because accords dont have ATTS and wiring it in would be a bitch. if your in cali or somewhere strict about SMOG then the immobilizer on 97+ h22s are a bitch to get around. lets say you dont want to deal with the ATTS shit and mate a SH motor to non ATTS h22 tranny, then you have to custom fab a bracket on the block to hold the halfshaft. too much work for nothing unless you are getting the motor for dirrrrrrrrt cheap.

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
TOP END MS said:
LSD = Limited Slip Differential = Both wheels spin at the same time under almost all conditions. Without LSD .. the wheel with less traction does all the spinning.

Prelude SH is a model .. most parts for the SH do not fit a 'non-SH' .. SH is the H23 and non-SH is usually the H22 i beleive .. also somewhere in there they have an F22 SOHC Prelude, but who really cares about that :p
All Type SH should be 2.2

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
TOP END MS said:

Wouldn't that be a bad thing while going through a corner? The outside wheel spins several times faster, and if the limited slip forced them to even out their speeds then wouldn't that cause the front end to go into severe understeer? I just figured it would but I guess it depends on how much different the speeds have to be between the wheels before the LSD works its magic. I just remembered losing my rear end halfway through a turn in my mustang because of that stupid loud detroit locker, vrrroooooommm.......CLICK...SCREEEEEEECCCHHHH and before I know it my rear end comes out from underneath me and i'm in a posi-induced powerslide, hehe. I don't plan on getting and LSD or anything, I'm just curious :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
coming from a turn, the inside wheel will lose traction and spins much faster, outside wheel spins slower and has grip...lsd will force the inside wheel to spin at the same speed as the outside wheel

in a perfect world, the prelude sh's atts system should be superior to a standard lsd since it can transfer more than 50% available torque (lsd is limited to 50%) to the wheel with grip...but it's not a perfect world

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
krazykloudz said:
Wouldn't that be a bad thing while going through a corner? The outside wheel spins several times faster, and if the limited slip forced them to even out their speeds then wouldn't that cause the front end to go into severe understeer? I just figured it would but I guess it depends on how much different the speeds have to be between the wheels before the LSD works its magic. I just remembered losing my rear end halfway through a turn in my mustang because of that stupid loud detroit locker, vrrroooooommm.......CLICK...SCREEEEEEECCCHHHH and before I know it my rear end comes out from underneath me and i'm in a posi-induced powerslide, hehe. I don't plan on getting and LSD or anything, I'm just curious :)
Your Mustang is RWD and your back end sliped out. With LSD and SH it's more like 3 wheel drive!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RWD+sharp turn=fishtail/drift :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts