Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as far as my money goes, this is the best i've been able to buy. it helps keep response smoother in my car(2002 Civic LX). dont waste money on anything else! this stuff is the best. it's like $8 or so but you'll notice a good difference. so if you ever see it at Advance or Autozone, try it you wanna you'd prolly like it! :byye

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
wow.....if you're spending $8 for octane boost in a civic lx, then your car has some issues. go clean out those carbon deposits and get back onto 87 octane. your car will run better, smoother, and you'll get better mileage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the best octane booster i have seen so far is methanol. 105 by vol seems to work very well. We buy it here in NZ for $225-230 and it cranks the octane from 96 to 99 allowing 4-6 deg of timing advance to my friends 450hp subaru sti so it would work wonders in your ride. Im going to give it a go after i make a few other mods, intake pipe etc then see how much timing it allows me to run as i will run it as far as i can until we detect some knock.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
notice everyone....subaru sti.....not a honda civic.

wrx > civic all the time.....so the civic people don't need that high of an octane.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I dont think hes talking about an octane booster, its a conditioner and fuel injection system cleaner. Thats why it feels smoother. Its good i use it all the time! Again its not an octane booster!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok, Here in NZ the fuel already has a high toulene content so adding more isnt going to give much of an octane boost and it also costs $70 for 20 litres as opposed to $23 for the same in methanol.
As far as octane rating goes, more is better, if i could get 116 octane on pump i would advance my timing by 20deg and run 13.5:1 + comp :wow
But at the mo, as i have access to some knock detecting equipment im gonna just run as much timing as i can on 96 them add some meth in a couple weeks.
Hey was wandering guys what sort of octane numbers do you guys have??
oh, booshaholic NICE CAR. :number1

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
kiwilowlux said:
As far as octane rating goes, more is better,
this statement isn't always true. in a stock civic, accord, etc....those economy cars....a lower octane is better. even if the engine is modified. octane does not equal power. it is merely a buffer against predetonation....meaning, the higher the octane number, the harder it is to burn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes ,ok my bad. As you say that statment isnt always true.
BUT... For the reasons that i wanted to use the fuel for it is appropriate to use high octane fuel. Im well aware that just going out and putting high octane juice into a stock vechicle will make it slower,Unless it uses some thing like closed/open loop knock control where it will increase timing to suit( within reason)
lower octane is better. even if the engine is modified.
OK octane guards against detonation TRUE?
so we get detonation from excessive timing TRUE?
we also get detonation from excess boost TRUE?
both of these mods DO NOT give you more power if all you get is detonation TRUE?
so why not get a little more octane?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
welcome to superHONDA[/b]

name a performance honda vehicle equiped w/ a turbo that's available globally.

also name a honda that has a purely economy motor that's required to run premium fuel.

quit trying to be the devil's advocate :hehe you're right that you HAVE to run a higher octane on a performance motor. but most honda motors are FAR from being high performance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok. Sorry if I tryed to push things a little. As far as i know all of the type r bretheren acc,civ,teg even logo are all recomended in japan to use 98+ octane here in NZ we get all of the jdm cars and therefore have to run them on 98.
As far as turbo hondas go, did the us ever get the turbo city? Its a great peice of crap. it falls into your non-perfomance list. :sleep
what octane are usdm vtecs supposed to run on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
welcome to superHONDA[/b]

name a performance honda vehicle equiped w/ a turbo that's available globally.

also name a honda that has a purely economy motor that's required to run premium fuel.

quit trying to be the devil's advocate :hehe you're right that you HAVE to run a higher octane on a performance motor. but most honda motors are FAR from being high performance.
S2000, RSX-S, Civic Si, NSX, etc...........
I mean just to name a few :rolleyes :rolleyes

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
He said name a honda with a turbo.............Those take premium yes...........See this for all your fuel octane questions......you shouldnt have missed this in the ECU&fuel thread it is stickied guys....in the FAQ thread posted by 98vtec......http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252611 Its also in my signature

·
Registered
1 Posts
well with all the octain stuf going on hear i have a 89 honda civic lx that i run a suppercharger,intake,head port and polished, headers and straight pipe on it and if i use low octain gas the damn thing runs like shit i have to run high octain with octain booster. with all that it puts me at about 100 octain and i get between 30 to 32 miles city and over 40 on the open road. the motor has 179,658 miles on it and i push it hard as hell. if i run low octain i'll get 26 to 28 miles city and 36 on open road so if you have some mods high octain is good but low is good for all stock

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ok. Sorry if I tryed to push things a little. As far as i know all of the type r bretheren acc,civ,teg even logo are all recomended in japan to use 98+ octane here in NZ we get all of the jdm cars and therefore have to run them on 98.
As far as turbo hondas go, did the us ever get the turbo city? Its a great peice of crap. it falls into your non-perfomance list. :sleep
what octane are usdm vtecs supposed to run on?

Tool.

First you need to realize that not everyone follows the same math for their octane rating. Japan has 100+ octane at the pumps right? Do you know what method they use to get this rating? Here in the states we use (R + M)/2 Which is the Ron and the Mon ratings added together and divided by 2. Elsewhere in the world they stick to Ron rating on the pumps which can be 8 to 10 points higher. It makes sense that we have 92-94 here in the states and other parts of the world have 103 or 104.

Remember we are 1 country, not the entire example for the world to follow.

JDM cars are no big secret marvel either. Good grief. Elevation can play a part in what octane rating a car would best perform on.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
if it says regular then use regular and premium use premium. i dont see the confusion
welcome to last september....what was the purpose of this post? up your count? please don't revive old posts with "duh" answers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts