Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning to get my car painted at Maaco and i was just wondering if anybody had any expierences? i've heard from some people that they do aite but i checked out some threads and common on the net and they said dont do it but to save up and just go to any diff body shop.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The reason (usually) that Maaco, and most any other budget paint/body shop, doesnt produce good work is because their preparation sucks donkey balls. For example, they dont do a good sanding job, so their paint starts to peel prematurely. Or they dont take the antenna off, just paint around it, so it starts to chip and flake away around the base, etc etc etc.. The painting itself is usually decent.. But the key to any good paint job is the preparation.

I've heard that if you do the majority of the work (strip the car down a little, sand it and prep it, etc) you can give it to them ready to spray.. and it comes out cheaper, and usually better, as far as longevity. It depends on how much effort on your part you want to put forward.

I'd say, if you can afford it or lack body work experience, save your money and get a better quality shop to paint your car. But if you need a quick job, they can help you out. Hope anything I said helps.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
in general, you get what you pay for. they are cheap becuase they probably cut corners. like previously mentioned, i am sure that their prep work sucks, who knows if they use paintbooths with propor down drafts, and what quality paint, primer, and clearcoats would they use; you are better off imo paying twice as much for a paintjob that is 10 times better and that you can appreciate for several years to come rather than maybe 2-3 years that a maaco paintjob might hold up.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
http://www.maacosucks.us/
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff6372.htm
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/maaco-vs-home-paint-job-30051.html

You tell me.

In my opinion, the ONLY way I would EVER take my car to Maaco would be if the following-

1. I primed it.
2. I did any bondo work.
3. I taped off the car. Maaco is NOTORIOUS for shitty prep work, and paint where it shouldnt be.
4. I provided my OWN paint. Their paint quality SUCKS.
5. I provided my OWN clear coat. Youll probably have to pay extra to have them clear your car, since they use a 1 coat paint that doesnt need to be cleared.

The only thing they have going for them that I dont is a paint booth. Otherwise i'd do it myself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I own a customs shop and i can honestly tell you that you get what you pay for. You can give me $1500 for a complete paint job, youre going to get $1500 worth. Most of my paint jobs start around $7500 - $10000 each. Find a hole in the walk body shop that looks decent, and just start getting estimates and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.