Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Integra needs some honda rust fixed, but up here there is no shop that will fix it for any kind of price thats anywhere near affordable. Now I know there are lots of these Maaco's in larger urban areas, and my question is, do they do Honda Rot repair? Or do they just do paint?

How much would it cost (roughly) to get this work done?

Anyone on here have experience dealing with them?

I realize its probably not going to be the best quality, but thats ok. I just need something that will look decent and protect the metal.

I'm just at a cross roads, because it seems every Honda I come arcoss has the same issue, so if I sell this teg, and bought another, I dont really think I could find anything much cleaner in the 3-4 grand category. So I'm still toying with the option of keeping it, but the question is, should I? Or is this going to be another waste of $600 bucks or whatever?

I think this rust bubbleing is also really hurting the sale of the car too, its tough to sell a teg with 192,xxx and some rust ya know? And there is so much done to it and it runs awesome, most people dont care tho.

Here are some pics of the nasty spots to show how bad it is:

Any opinions are appreciated.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
yeah, that is the common area for rust in hondas. i had the same problem areas on my 95 accord.

i will be honest with you eric, i had a shop do mine where they cut the metal out and welded in new metal, repainted the entire quarter panel, and it cam back in the same spots 2 years later. the only way to really get rid of it completely is to replace the quarter panel.

i can almost promise you that macco will just use bondo over those problem areas then primer and paint. it may only last 6 months before you see it come back again. do they use salt on the roads by you in the winter time? i think that is one of the root causes of this problem as it accelerates the rusting process.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Dude, that looks fine for a honda/acura of that age. that type of work will run about 300 bucks at a reputable shop who does that sort of repair regularily. My car is like that, the guy is gonna cut triangles and weld them near that spot, ten glass over it cuz I wanna have a slight lip around my fenders for future rims.

Dont worry about that too much.

· Registered
247 Posts
It's not as bad as some Honda/Acuras I've seen. I do have a suggestion for you though. You know the trim lining that's under your wheel wells. Remove that. Alot of people don't remove that & as salt, rocks, dirt etc build up that's how the rust happen. Also when the vehicle was new the orig. owner never had car rust proofed nor undercoated.
I have very little rust on my left rear fenderwell & it's a 91 Civic Si.
For me I was fortunate to work at a dealer so I've rust proofed,undercoated 2times,& fabric protection my EF.I have so many telling me how clean my EF is with so very little rust.You have to be right up on car to see it.
I might go to Maaco down the road to have my EF painted. The only thing I really need painted is my hood & roof. The roof has turned ashy white .You know how black does when fading.
I would find someone to fix your quarter panel & then go to maaco. Another vehicle might be worst.

Good Luck

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the trim out, dont worry, I know what causes it.

The only reason this is happening now is because of some shotty body work I got in the first place. I just dont want to make the same mistake, but on the other hand, I dont have the 2-3k to fix it that lots of places up here quote me.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Do it yourself then dude, grind, fiberglass, then primer it, then take it to a shop and have them paint match it for like 100 bucks. done deal

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it yourself then dude, grind, fiberglass, then primer it, then take it to a shop and have them paint match it for like 100 bucks. done deal
That is another option I've considered lately. I'm going to try it on my CRX, see how it goes.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Well make sure to ask any questions, there are plenty of people on here who have tackled their own car body troubles. personally I would go to the shop who quoted 2-3k and ask why, seeing as you only need to work on what, 20 square inches? This would take you about 3 hours of prep work, which includes grinding and sanding, another hour at most cleaning and removing the debri and getting it **** and span, then half an hour of work primering and sealing. A trip to Honda to get new bumper clips/anchors possibly, then take it to a shop to color match. Job done, and the rust is gone.

Honestly dude, its pretty clean for its age, its not like this needs attention this second. It could prolly wait til summer, where there is less moisture in the air, and since primer absorbs moisture, you would have to work with a heat gun and occasionaly heat the metal to at least room temperature to work with. You could also pull it into a garage and use a dehumidifier if the garage is sealed tightly enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.