Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
k, im a 16 yr old high school student w/ no prior experience working w/ cars, would i be able to do the install myself or should i take it to the shop and fork over the 50, and if i'm doing it myself, what equipment will i be needing?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
jet41989 said:
k, im a 16 yr old high school student w/ no prior experience working w/ cars, would i be able to do the install myself or should i take it to the shop and fork over the 50, and if i'm doing it myself, what equipment will i be needing?
My situation is similar to yours but I am 18. You only need a way to get under the car (i used a couple ramps) and a set of sockets with a ratchet and extensions. Some wd40 and strength are also handy for some bolts and hangers. If it sounds overwhelming and you dont mind paying $50 then use the shop. I would save using a shop for suspension and more difficult upgrades. I have managed to do all my work so far by myself. I just love the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done and I know that I did it all on my own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
KJMagnum said:
My situation is similar to yours but I am 18. You only need a way to get under the car (i used a couple ramps) and a set of sockets with a ratchet and extensions. Some wd40 and strength are also handy for some bolts and hangers. If it sounds overwhelming and you dont mind paying $50 then use the shop. I would save using a shop for suspension and more difficult upgrades. I have managed to do all my work so far by myself. I just love the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done and I know that I did it all on my own.
excuse the dumb questions but do i need to jack the car up or do i just slide my body under there and work, and i see the manual to install on the magnaflow website but do i need to pick up a service manual to remove the oem exhuast in the first place or is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
jet41989 said:
excuse the dumb questions but do i need to jack the car up or do i just slide my body under there and work, and i see the manual to install on the magnaflow website but do i need to pick up a service manual to remove the oem exhuast in the first place or is it pretty straight forward?
Well if you are a piece of cardboard then you can fit under the car to work without jacking it up, if not then you need to use ramps or jack it up. Once you get under, it is pretty straight forward (a few bolts and rubber hangers).

·
Registered
7 Posts
KJMagnum said:
Well if you are a piece of cardboard then you can fit under the car to work without jacking it up, if not then you need to use ramps or jack it up. Once you get under, it is pretty straight forward (a few bolts and rubber hangers).
haha, well im not a piece of cardboard so i guess i'll be jacking it up, gonna try to do the install myself and if i mess up i can always take it to the shop for them to fix it, thx 4 all the help magnum :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
jet41989 said:
haha, well im not a piece of cardboard so i guess i'll be jacking it up, gonna try to do the install myself and if i mess up i can always take it to the shop for them to fix it, thx 4 all the help magnum :D
No problem, glad I could help. You shouldn't have too hard of a time. Working on cars is fun and worth the experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DV8 said:
Only major problem with magnaflow is the unequal flow of exhaust to one side of the pipe if you have dual. Thus creating a dirtier muffler tip on one side
I put a magnaflow catback on my 99 Accord LX. Within 9 months, the seam at the end of the resonator split (they do not weld this seam)...it got real noisy and lost bottom end torque. I had it replaced and within 4 months, the "tuning tube" inside the muffler came loose on the replacement! This one, too, got real loud and lost torque. It was like riding around with a huge leak in the muffler !
Both systems were perfect when they were new: the car had a strong power band, it wasn't excessively loud and the system looked great ! Unfortunately, neither system lasted longer than 9 months !

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just replaced my shitty carbon fiber rip off brand can with a Magnaflow straight through muffler, and it is perfect. The sound is deep and mellow and so much more quiet than the piece of crap I had on before. It's very sporty sounding at higher rpm's and loud enough that you're backin that ass up, but its quiet enough so you can still here your music, and the ridiculous highway drone is no more. I couldn't believe how much of a difference a muffler could make. :number1 for Magnaflow

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
hmmm what a old post...

but not to rain on anyone's parade...

performancepeddler.com has a partnership/deal with v6p.net

For future reference if u guys want to grab a set of magnaflow exhaust system, use the vendor code "v6performance" it puts the price for the magnaflow exhaust for hte civic at $268 Shipped.

Courtesy of v6p.net

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
and oh yea, with the magnaflow cat back, dyno shows that u lose low end hp/torque, but u gain some more in the upper end of the RPM... just thought u guys would like to know.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
DV8 said:
use the vendor code "v6performance" it puts the price for the magnaflow exhaust for hte civic at $268 Shipped.
There's more than one model for the civic but that is still a nice deal. For my car it would have been $304.23 with that code instead of the $325 that I paid. I'm not too disappointed over $20 though considering I still got a good deal and I am thoroughly satisfied with the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
KJMagnum said:
There's more than one model for the civic but that is still a nice deal. For my car it would have been $304.23 with that code instead of the $325 that I paid. I'm not too disappointed over $20 though considering I still got a good deal and I am thoroughly satisfied with the exhaust.
:p for the V6 we save over 100 bucks :D but good choice on exhaust none the less.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i checked two of the sites post on this thread for the magnaflow catback exhaust system, and both were over 500 bucks. but several people said they paid under 300 for it installed. what's the deal?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
DVan8504 said:
i checked two of the sites post on this thread for the magnaflow catback exhaust system, and both were over 500 bucks. but several people said they paid under 300 for it installed. what's the deal?
:confused It depends what model you are looking at...$500 is way over priced for a civic. I paid $325 shipped and installed it myself.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
DVan8504 said:
no it's a '99 v6 accord and i realize that'd jack up the price, but nearly double? that seems a little steep. plus i didn't see anyone else quoting that much. then again, i stopped after 3 pages
It might be that much since DV8 quoted a savings of over $100. I would check out that site since that's were i got mine.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah actually the site dv8 was talking about was one i checked. the only place i saw to put in the discount code said "dealer code" or something like that and it said the code was invalid...anyway. it was well over 500 for my car

61 - 80 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.