Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. On my 98 civic at the bottom of the spedo there is the light grey lettering that says "maintenance required" And below that is a tiny little clear window. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Today I was driving around and noticed that the window has changed to a very light, faint red color (even at night it is hardly noticible) Is this considered the MR light? And if so, what maint. do you think is required? How do I reset it?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
its possibly the oil light. make sure the key is off, then hold the lil button in your dash next to your odometer, turn key to run, hold for like 5 seconds or so, the MR light may blink, sometimes it doesnt..then let go and start it up. if its the oil light it should go out. thats how i reset them, however im not exactly sure which year hondas have the reset lights. i know most newer ones have them, not 100%sure on 98s. also, try checking if your ECU is giving a CEL/DTC. this will give a more precise explanation for the light being on and how to fix.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ksniperfox said:
its possibly the oil light. make sure the key is off, then hold the lil button in your dash next to your odometer, turn key to run, hold for like 5 seconds or so, the MR light may blink, sometimes it doesnt..then let go and start it up. if its the oil light it should go out. thats how i reset them, however im not exactly sure which year hondas have the reset lights. i know most newer ones have them, not 100%sure on 98s. also, try checking if your ECU is giving a CEL/DTC. this will give a more precise explanation for the light being on and how to fix.
I just changed the oil/filter about 300mi. ago.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
its not the oil light..... that is red and comes on when you start the car.....

its just what it says maintenance required. but it should say maintenance suggested. cause it turns red from green every 7500 miles. so you can more easily follow the maintenance plan you your car. if something is really wrong the CEL will come on.

mine has been on red for over 20000 miles

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
98civcEK said:
its not the oil light..... that is red and comes on when you start the car.....

its just what it says maintenance required. but it should say maintenance suggested. cause it turns red from green every 7500 miles. so you can more easily follow the maintenance plan you your car. if something is really wrong the CEL will come on.

mine has been on red for over 20000 miles
negative. thats the oil pressure light/oil low. the maintenance required light WILL illuminate every 3000 miles or so on newer hondas. this may not be true on his, but i know its true on the newer ones because i reset them on a daily basis.

i did not mean to imply that the MR light always means an oil change is needed.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
ksniperfox said:
negative. thats the oil pressure light/oil low. the maintenance required light WILL illuminate every 3000 miles or so on newer hondas. this may not be true on his, but i know its true on the newer ones because i reset them on a daily basis.

i did not mean to imply that the MR light always means an oil change is needed.
i know, the actual light comes on when you first start the car because the oil pressure hasn't gotten to where it needs to be.......

the MR "light", its not really a light, goes by the mileage. mine did it at 7500 miles. but we both know what we are saying and we got the point across that it doesn't mean anything

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
it doesnt mean anything.. just change the oil. Its a way of honda getting their customers to come in for service. Just press the thing to the left of it with the key, and it will turn back to green.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.