Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Honda Civic LX has been starting slowly lately. Then this morning the malfunction light came on. Also today, my car seemed to take a noticeable dip in performance.. and when the car gets warmed it it almost stalls when I come to a stop by idling down really low and it starts rumbling, but it pulls through back to normal.

The malfunction light is for emissions. Im thinking I should replace the fuel filter(I have no idea how many miles is on the one in there) and my dad suggested that I also get a bottle of that injector cleaner stuff.

What do you guys think? How far off am I?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o2 sensor

Well it turns out that its an o2 sensor. I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter anyways because I believe it was overdue as far as general maintenance goes.

My question now is - How hard is it to replace an 02 sensor? And also can you guys point me to a webpage that explains how to replace the 02 sensor step by step? Im having a hard time finding any good info.

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Changing an 02 is actualy pretty simple.Just buy the one made for your appication.Dont go Universal just makes it harder.You simple unbolt it which is the only hard part since it really on there.Might wanna give it a little WD 40 to losen it up a bit.Unbolt it and put the new one on.If you get the specific it will just plug in like the old one.1 hour max in changing it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks. Sounds like the hardest part will be for me to find it, lol. I picked up the OE replacement today at Autozone and rented the socket set. Hopefully all goes well. I read somewhere that if you let your car warm up for awhile its much easier to get them out and you stand less chance of breaking something or screwing up your threads. We'll see, ill let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Piece of cake. It couldn't have been easier. This is definitely a DIY project. Although if I hadn't rented the sockets from the parts store I don't think I would have been able to get a wrench around the sensor. So if anyone is thinking about changing their 02 sensor out Id recommend getting the special sockets. Thanks for all the help HondaMan!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Piece of cake. It couldn't have been easier. This is definitely a DIY project. Although if I hadn't rented the sockets from the parts store I don't think I would have been able to get a wrench around the sensor. So if anyone is thinking about changing their 02 sensor out Id recommend getting the special sockets. Thanks for all the help HondaMan!
No problem :) :number1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just for future reference, if an 02 is ever stuck on and wd 40 or pb blaster won't help go drive the car around for a bit and get it up to operating temp. When you get it home you can blow a fan on it or just wait until it starts to cool off to where it's not melting rubber on your gloves, then put on a jacket and some thick gloves and turn it out while the pipes are still toasty. The metals expand at different rates so it loosens it up a bit.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
fyi if you have to replace the sensor because its bad cut the damn wires and put a wrench over it. jack the car up and use a pipe on the end of the wrench. if you need to reuse the o2 senser you can also use line wrenches. it has a little slot cut out of one of the sides to slide it over a nut that you couldn't use the closed end with

1 - 12 of 12 Posts