Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an automatic civic and i want to change it over to a manual, i know i could do this once i do the engine swap for more money but id rather do it now and get it out of the way. So my question is what all would i have to do to change it over and what cost am i looking at? obviously im new to learning all this so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It will be alot cheaper to do the auto to manual conversion while doing a swap. Will you be doing the conversion yourself? I wouldn't recommend it unless you are mechanically inclined. To pay a shop to do it, cost will be 600-1500 depending on how much you can get a manual transmission for.

I did the conversion in my car, it was like 1100 total and that included tranny, labor, misc parts, a new clutch, transmission seals, ecu. I paid a shop to do it.

Parts you will need: pedals, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, shifter, clutch, flywheel, shift linkage, 5spd ecu, and a tranny.

other notes i can think of now; you will need to have a manual tranny mount welded in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
igo4bmx said:
5th gens need manual tranny mount welded in
6th gens don't
and my friend got it done with labor and all parts for 700 bucks... and no porbles for the past two years
oh yeah that's what i meant...I forgot, about the 6th gens...I have a 5th gen, so I was referring to my car, I had to get the tranny mount welded. Also no problems with my car either.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My 91 is auto right now and my B16 is manual. What do I need to do when I swap it to convert? Do I need new pedals?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
HBracer said:
My 91 is auto right now and my B16 is manual. What do I need to do when I swap it to convert? Do I need new pedals?
doing the swap in a 4th gen is much easier than 5+ generations because it's a cable tranny and doesn't require all of the hydraulic horseshit. you need the tranny, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch cable, shifter assembly, brake gas and clutch pedal assembly, manual tranny mount and that's all i can think of right now

·
Registered
407 Posts
whitecivicR said:
junk yards can be your best friend for parts if you are doing a manual conversion
And if your lucky like me, the only junkyard in the capital of Wisconsin doesnt let you even set foot into the yard let alone take your own parts off cars because of bullshit liability shit. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts