Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i recently took off my power steering pump on my integra,

shortly afterward i started having problems with the rack making noise and jerking the wheel and what not,

anyway i was told by one of my mechanic's that often the stock gsr power steering rack is used in some 92-95 civic when converting to power steering,

So, my is would the 92-95 manuel rack off the civic work on the integra??

i mean its reasonable to assume so,

but i wanna make sure its actually been done before.

any feed back is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Jesse

· Registered
10,346 Posts
crossmember and steering rack, not just the rack. wont bolt straight up. you may also have to switch the shaft joint as well.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Search on this sight, there is a writeup I believe of someone removing del sol powersteering and having to install teh civic crossmember and manual rack in its place, and then something was said about the steering shaft not working, and they had to mix it up a lil to make it work

· Registered
10,346 Posts

· Registered
10,346 Posts
BTW thats going over keeping the PS rack and looping the lines and adding a breather, allows fluid to be contained, and the breather aprt allows better turning, its possible your simply not getting any fluid on there.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
OK I got a PM just now from someone I asked on a different forum, he said that the EG crossmember and rack will bolt up, You will also need to find an EG rack bushing, I will find a diagram after this post.

He did not clarify if the integra steering SHAFT will mate with the civic steering BOX. I would assume you can switch up between the two sets and make it work, maybe just a simple U joint swap. he did say its absolutely possible with just the parts between the 2 assemblies, so no extra parts beyond having to get the EG bushing.

Reactions: acuradriva

· Registered
10,346 Posts

· Registered
8,144 Posts
BTW thats going over keeping the PS rack and looping the lines and adding a breather, allows fluid to be contained, and the breather aprt allows better turning, its possible your simply not getting any fluid on there.
That's what I did and I love it - no problems either.

The problem with fitting a manual Civic rack, beyond the cost and labor it requires, is that you will have a very slow steering ratio. The manual racks have slow steering ratio (have to turn the wheel a lot to get the same change of direction that you get by turning the Integra wheel a little) in order to reduce the steering effort. Unless you weigh 130lbs and have tiny arm muscles, I'd highly recommend at least trying the loop/breather method on your stock steering rack first.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thanks guys! i totally didn't expect you to jump on this so quickly and go out of the way to go to other forums and help me out!

Thanks a million!

I'm getting a new axle in on thursday, i'm gonna swap it out and hopefully get rid of the steering clicking! :)

Also i'll try the loop before i go buy another rack, to see if i can remedy the problem,

also where the heck could i get the breather?? i was just gonna run the oil through the cooler out in front but i just sold my power steering pump and line that goes directly to the rack like 3-4 weeks ago so i gotta find another nipple that'll screw into my rack :/ lol

got in a little over my head i think,

lol oh well i'll hit up a few wreckin yards to see if i can find my parts! :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I did and I love it - no problems either.

The problem with fitting a manual Civic rack, beyond the cost and labor it requires, is that you will have a very slow steering ratio. The manual racks have slow steering ratio (have to turn the wheel a lot to get the same change of direction that you get by turning the Integra wheel a little) in order to reduce the steering effort. Unless you weigh 130lbs and have tiny arm muscles, I'd highly recommend at least trying the loop/breather method on your stock steering rack first.
would you happen to have any pictures of the breather and cost info and maybe where i could find one?

i know of one breather, but i don't see how it could work when your looping the line back in the steering rack :/

also send me some pics of your caR! I LOVE IT!:D

· Registered
10,346 Posts
The breather is just a "T" in the line somewhere, and its empty of fluid.

As for the statement of the wheel turns, that is incorrect. It is slower steering, but its very similar, I think off the top of my head its a full turn extra from lock to lock, which isnt too bad. Noticable yes,. but not too bad.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The breather is just a "T" in the line somewhere, and its empty of fluid.

As for the statement of the wheel turns, that is incorrect. It is slower steering, but its very similar, I think off the top of my head its a full turn extra from lock to lock, which isnt too bad. Noticable yes,. but not too bad.
how am i supposed to keep fluid out of it though?? i mean i get the whole "T" idea b ut fluids are still gonna get in there unless there is some kinda block at the "t" at least thats what i would think,,,

I could be wrong , lol wouldn't be the first time, and probably won't be the last time:)

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Rack, 2 hose connections, instead of a loop, you have an "T", its open to allow the fluid to go into the empty hose. Its needs to be long enough that fluid can go in there without getting out. You dont block it, what purpose is it there for then? Ha ha

· Registered
10,346 Posts
the idea is so whenj you turn the wheel, and it moves the fluid around, it doesn get compressed by being in a closed loo[p. Having an extra hose to be pushed into without getting out, that makes it easier to turn, and you dont damage anything from trying to force the liquid to compress.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
would you happen to have any pictures of the breather and cost info and maybe where i could find one?

i know of one breather, but i don't see how it could work when your looping the line back in the steering rack :/

also send me some pics of your caR! I LOVE IT!:D
mattliston is correct. I bought a kit from user "Padawan" on H-T, but you can easily make one for less money, it's simple. You empty out some of the fluid (but not all, need to maintain lubrication).

For the steering ratio, IMO I disagree, one full lock or close to it is a big difference to me. When I drive a manual-rack Civic I feel like I'm playing one of those old-school arcade video games where the steering wheel keeps going round and round. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it because I autocross, where constantly spinning the wheel is annoying and gets in the way of driving, but it does bother me. For strictly street driving I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

As for pics of the car, check my website: 1998 Acura Integra LS - Daily Driver/Auto-X | Win races on Sunday, drive to work on Monday
I should have pics of my new ride on there after this weekend :D

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mattliston is correct. I bought a kit from user "Padawan" on H-T, but you can easily make one for less money, it's simple. You empty out some of the fluid (but not all, need to maintain lubrication).

I should have pics of my new ride on there after this weekend :D

what new ride??\\

and i'm pretty sure just about all the fluid is out allready,,,, lol i got some honda power steering fluid though, i just don't know how to get it into the rack really :/ lol

also is there a place that sells these kits that i has pics so i could get a good idea of hose lengths and stuff?

i guess i can remove the rest of my power steering cooler lines too now:)

make the bay look a little cleaner even though they weigh almost nothing so weight loss isn't really an issue..

maybe .5 lbs? lol

· Registered
8,144 Posts
what new ride??\

and i'm pretty sure just about all the fluid is out allready,,,, lol i got some honda power steering fluid though, i just don't know how to get it into the rack really :/ lol

also is there a place that sells these kits that i has pics so i could get a good idea of hose lengths and stuff?

i guess i can remove the rest of my power steering cooler lines too now:)

make the bay look a little cleaner even though they weigh almost nothing so weight loss isn't really an issue..

maybe .5 lbs? lol
Look up that user "Padawan" on H-T. There should still be a thread of his there where he is selling the kits, or at least people who have installed them - he sold dozens of them. To add fluid, you add it to the power steering fluid reservoir - look around the engine bay and it should be obvious.

You can remove more than just the lines once you install a kit. The pump and everything put together weigh 16lbs and it does make your bay a lot cleaner. See my site for some pics.

New ride is an '01 BMW M5 :D Picking it up on Saturday and driving it back to Seattle from San Fran. I still plan to use the Integra for errands/auto-x, too good of a car to let go!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look up that user "Padawan" on H-T. There should still be a thread of his there where he is selling the kits, or at least people who have installed them - he sold dozens of them. To add fluid, you add it to the power steering fluid reservoir - look around the engine bay and it should be obvious.

You can remove more than just the lines once you install a kit. The pump and everything put together weigh 16lbs and it does make your bay a lot cleaner. See my site for some pics.

New ride is an '01 BMW M5 :D Picking it up on Saturday and driving it back to Seattle from San Fran. I still plan to use the Integra for errands/auto-x, too good of a car to let go!

thats just it, i sold the resivor with the powersteering pump and feed lines...

· Registered
10,346 Posts
So... how do you have fluid in there if you dont have any lines? Fluid needs to be in there, otherwise that rack will disintegrate dude.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.