Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
399 Posts
I dont think that it would work. wouldn't you need the GM computer as well? I bet that it would send a signal that the honda computer wouldn't understand, just like the honda map sends a signal that the honda doesn't understand.

you should try.. let me know because I think it is cheesy looking having fish tank valves in the map sensor line..

[email protected]

· Registered
643 Posts
TEMPESTREX said:
Is it possible to use a GM map sensor that reads boost?
Your stock MAPS reads boost up to 11lbs. It is the ECM that throws a CEL if more than 1lb of pressure is detected in the manifold. Like stated above, the GM sensor works and will read boost up to two bar (29.4lbs) the computer can't read anything over 1. Therefore without a computer that reads boost, it is useless.

· Registered
554 Posts
I just got a 3bar map for my crx. I'm using it with the Zdyne stand-alone ecu and 450cc injectors. But, I've been hearing about this AFC hack, and I think it should work. The hack seems to have promising results, and with the 3bar, you can go beyond 10lbs. boost. But yeah, I feel you should get bigger injectors though.

· Registered
37 Posts
twofacedsir said:
I just got a 3bar map for my crx. I'm using it with the Zdyne stand-alone ecu and 450cc injectors. But, I've been hearing about this AFC hack, and I think it should work. The hack seems to have promising results, and with the 3bar, you can go beyond 10lbs. boost. But yeah, I feel you should get bigger injectors though.
It will work w/out the afc tho. The 3bar map sensor cuts 33% off the voltage. So you could just plug in a 3bar map sensor and some 310's and you'd be good to go for up to around 7 psi.

I only mentioned the afc to fine tune it :p

· Registered
643 Posts
SlprTeg said:
Not true. Hook up a 3bar on the stock ecu, throw in some 310cc injectors, bump up your fuel pressure by a few psi and it will run like a stock turbocharged car. The 3bar map sensor cuts 33% off the voltage. So you could just plug in a 3bar map sensor and some 310's and you'd be good to go for up to around 7 psi.

I only mentioned the afc to fine tune it :p
Where did you learn that it cuts 33% voltage ?? Have you ever personally seen it done, what were the results ?? I wasn't aware that it cut voltage. But, now that I think about it, there is a selection in my hondata software for a selection of stock or 3 Bar. I just ran it in my hondata software with the stock MAPS and the 3 bar and the fueling was the same. Wouldn't the fuel calibration be differant if the voltage off the input was 33% less ??

· Registered
171 Posts
well slprteg
I understand what you are trying to say about the voltage, and the computer will read a different voltage, however it will not be enough to make much of a difference. a map sensor operates on 1-5volts, dosent matter if it is 1bar 2bar or 3bar its all depends on how the computer reads that voltage and applies it to the fuel map that is programed to it.
running a 3bar map sensor, will not let you run your car like a factory turbo setup, I dont care what anyone says, it wont work, if you were to add a 3 bar map sensor you could possibly run about 2-3psi boost before the computer would throw a Cell, however you would definetly be running on the lean side. you would be running 2-3lbs of boost when your computer thinks its at WOT running fuel for atmospheric (0 vac.) you cant tell me that is a safe combination for reliability

· Registered
643 Posts
bmilescrx said:
well slprteg
I understand what you are trying to say about the voltage, and the computer will read a different voltage, however it will not be enough to make much of a difference. a map sensor operates on 1-5volts, dosent matter if it is 1bar 2bar or 3bar its all depends on how the computer reads that voltage and applies it to the fuel map that is programed to it.
running a 3bar map sensor, will not let you run your car like a factory turbo setup, I dont care what anyone says, it wont work, if you were to add a 3 bar map sensor you could possibly run about 2-3psi boost before the computer would throw a Cell, however you would definetly be running on the lean side. you would be running 2-3lbs of boost when your computer thinks its at WOT running fuel for atmospheric (0 vac.) you cant tell me that is a safe combination for reliability
I was quick to answer as you Miles, but, after considering it, it is possible. The MAPS input voltage from the ECM is 5 volts, and the output voltage off the MAPS on at atmospheric pressure is about 3 volts. If the output voltage from the MAPS at atmospheric drops to 1.5 volts instead of 3 with stock injectors the calibration will be way off and run lean, but if you have 1.5 volts output with 50% larger injectors the calibration should accurate. And it would enable the ECM to read boost. As you know if the ECM reads more than 3 volts off the MAPS it throws a CEL which normally equals manifold pressure of over 1lb to get over 3volts. But change the MAPS calibration and it won't read 3 at atmopheric. Enabling boost to be had. The drawback is ignition timing maps are stock and aren't accurate to manifold vacuum or pressure. Fueling maps aren't accurate. Personally i wouldn't do it.

· Registered
37 Posts
both a 2 bar's 5v is around 14psi (you will trip a cel b4 this but it should be around here). a 3 bar's 5v is ~28psi.

So as you can see, both have a 5v max, but the 3bar reads more boost, so to fit 28psi in there, it cuts the signal by 33% (2/3 - 1 * -1). So basiclly, just bolting on a 3bar map sensor is like setting your afc for -33.333% across the entire rpm range. So its basiclly a mini-afc hack :) cheaper too, heh.

· Registered
37 Posts
bmilescrx said:
well slprteg
LOL, my afc hack is at -35%! And i'm running 450's. So you are telling me if i drop it down to -33% (if i could) that i would only be able to boost 2-3psi ;)

I think you may be able to get awy with some mitsu 360's (they come on the 3000gt's) and a 3bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.