Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much boost can a JDM B16a 170hp version with the 10.4cr hold safely on stock internals and proper fuel manegement?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
10.4 cr is pretty big. I don't imagine it being able to handle too much pressure before it pops on stock internals. I don't know an exact number, but I can't see it being big.

·
Registered
197 Posts
stock honda's, especially with such i high CR, cant hanlde more than 8psi or so for daily driving.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
im gonna say 10psi without a prob daily driving and 12 maybe 14 absolutely pushing it , depending on the tuning .

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would set it at 7 or 9 daily and 15 to race. Like i said before make sure it is tuned by someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah I dont have the money yet to lower my CR down to the 9:1 range, but I've got that motor with the 10.4:1 and in 2 weeks I'll be running about 7PSI.

·
Registered
624 Posts
With stock compression, I wouldnt go pass 10. Just tune it right with a decent unit. My friend's B16A2 is running 12 psi on stock internals with a tuned AEM EMS with no problems.

·
Registered
302 Posts
thermalfi'd16 said:
With stock compression, I wouldnt go pass 10. Just tune it right with a decent unit. My friend's B16A2 is running 12 psi on stock internals with a tuned AEM EMS with no problems.
Remember, when you drop your CR you are going to lose a lot of your off the line go.

I would rather run 10:1 with a strong engine build to handle the addeed stress. Then you won't feel like a slug before the turbo spools... Especially with the B16

·
Registered
43 Posts
TheTurboDan said:
what size turbo first of all

yup. psi doesn't mean so much... it's the cfm that you need to keep an eye on.
my turbo is a Precision SC63 T3/T04e .60/.63 ar, 63mm wheel. it's the largest T3/T04e they make. i'm KNOW that it puts out more at 8psi than say, an 18g at even twice the psi. my turbo is rated at 700 h.p. the 18g at 400. so you can see where psi doesn't really matter. i could run 25psi if i bolt on an old "junkyard turbo" from a Saab or something.
there are quite a few determinates of how many psi you can run. i kept increasing the boost until i had 300h.p. at the wheels (still on stock internals and using cali pump gas :( ). i didn't care what psi i was at.
just be sure you aren't putting more to the ground than the motor can handle.
also, on my B16a i was doing 300h.p. at the wheels on 100 octane and open downpipe at about 11psi and driving around town on 91 octane at about 9psi, if that helps

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Too bad theres not much people out there with boosted accords for me to gather info from.
How much boost do u guys think i can safely run on an accord f22 non vtec motor using a t3/t4 and the afc dsm setup?

·
Registered
302 Posts
An additional 100 HP can be done pretty safely on the stock engine with good tuning... I would suggest an upgraded fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TheTurboDan said:
Thank you. Boost is completely relative to what the hell it is coming from.

·
Registered
43 Posts
95accordlx said:

....How much boost do u guys think i can safely run on an accord f22 non vtec motor using a t3/t4 and the afc dsm setup?
again:

TheTurboDan said:
it's not "how much boost can i run?" so much as "how much power can my motor handle?". figure out the latter, then add boost accordingly.. haha. accordingly.. kinda punny.

you'll run 8 psi on a big turbo, 15psi on a small one. take your pick. though for a small bump in power like you'll be doing, i'd go smaller so you spool faster. ESPECIALLY for an around town car.

*edit for stupid typo*

·
Registered
20 Posts
thermalfi'd16 said:
HONDATA's better... But I just Think That Cause of What Jason (st00pid) Has Taught Me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Suleman78699 said:
HONDATA's better... But I just Think That Cause of What Jason (st00pid) Has Taught Me.
st00pid from H-T? he's supposed to come down to tune some cars here in cali. anyway....

thermalfi'd16 said:
depends on what size turbo. i was putting down 300 at the wheels at 10-11psi. i would only run 8psi around town to keep it safe. but that is MY turbo setup. if you are running a small turbo and only putting around 280 or so at the wheels with 12psi then you are safe.
as a few people on this thread have noted PSI DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. 8psi or 20 psi is all relative to the size/effeciency of your turbo. without knowing what you are running it is impossible to say how many psi you can run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts