Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering what the max i could rev my jdm h22a with a full valvetrain upgrade..titanium valves and valve springs and retainers, block guard and valve seals. From the KMS company on EBAY. IS that a good reliable company? What else would be good to upgrade if i wanted to go around 8500ish? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
Never heard of the company that you're talking about. What is your concern with revving up to 8500? Why do you need to hit that point? Depending on your setup, the motor may stop making power before that point, in which case, there would be no reason to rev that high.

I would say that if you ripped your bottom end apart, had it balanced and blue printed, and got a strong valvetrain, that the motor PROBABLY wouldn't have any problems revving that high... if you need to, that is.

~Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
atm3535 said:
From the KMS company. Is that a good reliable company?
I was also wondering about this as well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no specific reason for that particular rpm..just wondering if i could rev there if i just did the valvetrain. Just want to know my limit. I'm not going to go crazy with turbo with my car so i just wanted to up the redline a little. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
crdcz03 said:
your limit is wherever your car stops making power.
Exactly... say your car stopped making power at 7200 RPM and you rev it all the way up to 8500 RPM in every gear... your car would actually be slower due to the power loss at those points in the powerband, as well as increased danger of having your valves kiss the tops of your pistons due to possible valve float.

Get it on a dyno after you build it and see where you stop making power... shift like... right there or maybe 200 RPM past it.

~Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
u dont determine your redline.

your engine does. Never really heard of any input regarding them. I know there are a few people running their valvetrain, but there is no way in hell that i would their parts in my head.

never been a fan of buying unknown parts of ebay, especially the ones that are detrimental to your motors health.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
KMS claim that your can rev the motor up to 11k rpm with no proplem... but you really don't need to unless you have some rally angressive cams and high comp pistons to help you make some good power at that point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[Buffalo] said:
KMS claim that your can rev the motor up to 11k rpm with no proplem... but you really don't need to unless you have some rally angressive cams and high comp pistons to help you make some good power at that point.
yeah i saw that is what they claim..but i'm not planning on going that high lol so i was actually just wanting to go to 8 so i can use my whole gauge and its not to far past the redline of the jdm h22a of 7800 so thats not too bad. I just wanted to get a full valvetrain upgrade because there making some noise and i figured i'd replace it with so good stuff just to be on the safe side. I'm not going for anything ridiculous like i said. And the KMS is only around 600 for a full valvetrain upgrade. So i don't know. thanks for all the feedback guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
why not just figure out why its making noise.............


are you wanting to rev that high just so you can say you can? i dont get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Isnt redline the point of extreme risk of detonation?? I think the reason it gets risky is b/c of timing. Ignition mostly probably. on OEM engines timing becomes risky of detonation at Red Line. After timing adjustments are made you prob just need parts upgrades to accually make power at those RPMs, prob. utilizing lighter engine components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
TOP END MS said:
Isnt redline the point of extreme risk of detonation?? I think the reason it gets risky is b/c of timing. Ignition mostly probably. on OEM engines timing becomes risky of detonation at Red Line. After timing adjustments are made you prob just need parts upgrades to accually make power at those RPMs, prob. utilizing lighter engine components.
detonation isnt a problem. The head can take the high revving, but a stock, unbalanced bottom end will not take it for long.

i just dont understand why you are wanting to rev this high when you arent going to make power there. Hell i got the same motor, just with really good bolt ons and decent tuning. I only take it to 8k on the tach in 1st. The rest of the time, i shift just beyond the factory redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
Just get a b-series motor, build it up, and then you'll be able to rev it up to 11 or so. But the all mighty H-series doesn't need to rev that high. Take for an example the great Jun Prelude itself, they've set the redline to 8000. That's with JUN internals and everthing!!! And that car is a beast!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
Team_Carnage said:
Just get a b-series motor, build it up, and then you'll be able to rev it up to 11 or so. But the all mighty H-series doesn't need to rev that high. Take for an example the great Jun Prelude itself, they've set the redline to 8000. That's with JUN internals and everthing!!! And that car is a beast!!!
Not to jack the thread, but did anyone ever get specifics on the internals of that motor? Or at least the cam profiles?

~Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok well thanks for all the input about my situation. I will take into consideration all of it. You are right about the redline. I don't really need to go that high but i would like to be able to go to 8 if i wanted to. But thanks again. I just ran my old 240cc injectors from my stock f22 on my jdm h22a which required 345cc injectors and now the valvetrain makes a little too much noise. This is when i didn't know that they were f22 injectors. I was having major problems with sputtering and stalling. So i thought i would replace it and maybe the main bearings. Not sure but i'm hoping the problem will get better once i put the 370cc injectors tuned down to 345cc. I couldn't find 345cc injectors so im going to just tune the 370's down with a vafc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,299 Posts
road.head said:
detonation isnt a problem. The head can take the high revving, but a stock, unbalanced bottom end will not take it for long.

i just dont understand why you are wanting to rev this high when you arent going to make power there. Hell i got the same motor, just with really good bolt ons and decent tuning. I only take it to 8k on the tach in 1st. The rest of the time, i shift just beyond the factory redline.
so your pushing your motor to the limits then. you said your self a balanced bottom wont take much. so this wouldnt be good according to you. :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
Not to jack the thread, but did anyone ever get specifics on the internals of that motor? Or at least the cam profiles?

~Peace
I'll see if I can get them for you.
road.head said:
dude, ur going about things the wrong way. a vafc cant do what you are thinking it can do, "effectively"
Seriously...don't even bother wasting your time w/ a vafc. Get it at least street tuned.
DrivinVtec said:
so your pushing your motor to the limits then. you said your self a balanced bottom wont take much. so this wouldnt be good according to you. :confused
He prob means when he's racing, not everyday driving. Once in a while won't harm the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
i only take mine to 8k on the tach when i am tuning/datalogging and WOT 1st gaear. That way if i ever do happen to overrev it, i am a little safer than most.

not to mention 8k on the tach is really only ~7650
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top