Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McLaren officials have signed Juan Pablo Montoya to a contract to drive for the team beginning in 2005. The announcement ends months of speculation about Montoya's Formula One future.

Montoya has driven for Williams since he started in F1 in 2001. Much of the speculation about his future in the sport centered on his being unhappy that he is paid less than teammate Ralf Shchumacher.

"I am thrilled to be joining West McLaren Mercedes," said Montoya in a statement. "The team is consistently a strong world championship contender and has a fantastic heritage. It's a great opportunity for me and I'm really looking forward to the fist time I will be able to drive one of their cars. To join them is an amazing challenge and experience which I plan to fully enjoy."

McLaren will keep Kimi Raikkonen and David Coulthard for next year. Who Montoya's '05 teammate will be is uncertain, but sources said Raikkonen will stay on.

"We want to win races and world championships, and in order to do so we have to plan for the future whilst applying every effort in the short term," said McLaren boss Ron Dennis in a statement. "The opportunity to sign a talent like Juan Pablo was too good to miss, and there is already a considerable amount of anticipation within our team about 2005.

Meanwhile, Jordan Grand Prix has expressed an interest in young Russian driver Vitaly Petrov, on the recommendation of former race driver Vincenzo Sospiri.

Petrov, 19, who might be given an F1 test next month, moved up from his national Formula 1600 class to race for Sospiri's Team Euronova in Italian Formula Renault in 2003, and ran in the Euro 3000 series finale.

Euronova is linked with Supernova, the Jordan junior team in the FIA Formula 3000 series. Jordan hasn't finalized its 2004 line-up. Ralph Firman's contract has run out, and Giancarlo Fisichella has left for Sauber to replace Nick Heidfeld. Jordan is also expected to test Czech Formula 3000 racer Jaroslav Janis while former Toyota F1 racer and Renault test driver Allan McNish is also in the hunt.

autoweek

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Not up to date w/ contract happenings, but isn't Montoya signed w/ Williams for 2004? If so isn't that a major conflict of interest for him to sign w/ another team while he's w/ Williams, even if it's for a period after his current contract has finished?:confused:

Anybody have a claification for me? Thanks!;)

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shiba-Kun said:
Not up to date w/ contract happenings, but isn't Montoya signed w/ Williams for 2004? If so isn't that a major conflict of interest for him to sign w/ another team while he's w/ Williams, even if it's for a period after his current contract has finished?:confused:

Anybody have a claification for me? Thanks!;)
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/

that is correct. juan will finish up his contract with BMW in 2004 and then move to McClaren in 05. i guess the europeans have a different contract or soemthing. beats me. i could never under stand the europeans.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
divinewisdom said:
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/

that is correct. juan will finish up his contract with BMW in 2004 and then move to McClaren in 05. i guess the europeans have a different contract or soemthing. beats me. i could never under stand the europeans.
:confused:
Thanks mang! I just know that it would be considered "tampering" in the US if something like that happened here. I trip out when a coach/managers can't even comment on potential free agents, for fear of being charged w/ some violation or another. Dif. strokes 4 fid. folks I guess.:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
F1 is cut throat.Tampering schampering.

So, essentially in 2004:

Juan is saying F-U to Willliams while continuing to drive for them.

And McLaren is saying F-U to Coulthard while he drives for them.

Both without seeing what 2004 produces.

Ralfie shouldn't be paid more than Juan though, he's got a point.:lol2:

Kimi and Juan--that's gonna be a nice mix, hahaha, oh my god.One guy hardly speaks, the other won't shut up.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Ralf is worth every penny. he is controlled and consistent. atleast you know he most likely will not nd up taking out his teamate to get one spot in a pig headed move that will end up costing many things. including the immediate multi million car damage bound to come after.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
as to this situation. i find it wuite interesting. geuss Montoya isnt enjoying his stay at BMW with Ralf. But how will Montoya get along with Kimi? should be very interesting indeed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well my two favorite drivers are JPM and Kimi. Although i still like Williams BMW. Im going to have to go with Mclaren in 2005. For 2004 im staying with Montoya as my favorite. I think he will take it next year. I think kimi should go to williams and ralf to mclaren. The drivers would be better suited for each other. As far as Juan not making as much, that is true. He only made 3m last year while Ralf made 12m i believe. Ive heard reports that with Endorsements through F1 and salary Michael made close to 50million last year :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.