Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys okay heres what going on...

my idiot brother just messed up my precious integra pretty bad a couple days ago. he hit another freakin car. but no reall bad damages. only a peeled back fender and a messed up rim. and some suspension stuff. i got all the other stuff taken care of. i just need help on the tie rod

okay the tie rod survived the crash....so i took that off.....but the rod that the tie rod connects to is bent......if you know what im talking about, its the rod with the threads on the outer of it, that is also connected to the rack and pinion steering, which has a boot over it. i also took off the boot. oh yah its got a ball joint at the end of it also. or socket joint. what ever it is.

i cant figure out a way to take that rod out.....IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE? it looks like it can be done. but i dont want to attempt it until i get so professional or some experienced advice.......

please any help would greatly be much appreciated.

THANKS alot

ps. i would put a pic of what it looks like but i dont know how to do that....would that be more help than my really really hard to understand explanantion?

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Is it the one on the bottom right...it looks like a rod with a boot at th end of it?

If so you need a ball joint wrench/remover is what you'll needs looks like this:

If you can descrube to me what part or a picture. Ill tell you what tool you need, or if it can be removed

· Registered
2,575 Posts
You should be able to take off the boot and "pop" it with the use of a fork wrench...if there is a nut and pin, just take it out and pop it off.

I forgot the procedure on this one...but Im sure you can take it off.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
I dont know....it just came naturally to me I guess. If you love what your doing, youll educate and learn everything you can...

Ive learned a lot through my brother and other mech's who I came in contact with. It all started when I was pretty young, around 8-10. I just followed my brother when he used to do engine stuff, and it just rubbed on to me I guess.

wierd stuff ehh??:D

· Registered
2,575 Posts
nov0798 said:
no it does not just pop out, it actually thresds in. you will need to remove the boot and then loosen it and unthread it. its thats simple.
Its held by a pin and a nut...a fork is needed to pop it out of place.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Your both right but talking about different ends of the tie rod I believe. The outer joint has a 17mm nut on it and a cotter pin. Pull the pin out sometimes easier said than done and take off the nut. Then I use a ball joint puller to pop the joint out or you can use a fork like in the pic above. If your talking about the inside joint you have to bend back the weird washer thing from the sides of the joint so it is flat then you can unscrew it. The washer is bent around so it won't come loose while driving. Hope this helps.

· Registered
327 Posts
actually you dont even ned a fork to remove the outer one. is all you do is loosen it then with a ball peen hammer with one swift shot hit the steel knuckle that holds it. the joint will pop straight up and no damage to the joint at all. actually if you look at he knuckle there is a little tab on it for this exact purpose.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
nov0798 said:
actually you dont even ned a fork to remove the outer one. is all you do is loosen it then with a ball peen hammer with one swift shot hit the steel knuckle that holds it. the joint will pop straight up and no damage to the joint at all. actually if you look at he knuckle there is a little tab on it for this exact purpose.
Try that with a new joint in there that won't work till you beat the hell out of it. I know what your talking about though I just use the puller I bought for $8 back in the day it has yet to fail me. and nothing gets hit with a hammer except if my car starts being stupid then out comes the BFH!!!

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got it fixed....wel sort of

i got the damn thing out.pain in the asss, messed up a nuckle and a cut from metal sticking out from somewhere.i bought the part today from honda.freakin 65 bucks.but well worth it.i could have gone to a shop and prolly would have gotten ripped off.

for reference: incase someone runs into this.its called a rack end set. thats what honda told me costs 60.99 plus tax. came out to be 65 something. make sure they include the locking ring/ collar

1. remove tie rod end
2. turn steering wheel left or right to ush the end set out more to get more room to work
3. take a screw driver, a clean sharp one...and a hammer
4. start digging and prying the locking collar behind the end set...peeling it back until its flat
5. you wont be able to get all of it just get enough of it.
6. take a 30mm end wrench or a big ass monkey wrench and start turning
7. unscrew it out. THAT should be it.

sorry for the real bad explaination, but thats the best i can do. hope it helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.