Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEST PART FOR YOUR MONEY, i got mine for a 2001 prelude, i had a DC ceramic 4-2-1 and its ten times better ( yes i know DC sucks) , its looks just like the DC but built better, the bracket that breaks on the DC is beeffer the welds are better and it sounds great, as for the gains between the two i could not feel any, but still a gain over stock. the BEST thing about it is i only paid $85 dollars ( thats including Shipping) on Ebay, yes thats right $85, let me know if you need more info on it. :bounce

·
Registered
101 Posts
i got the stainless steel model because i couldnt find any megan racing header on ebay. i ordered directly through megan racing for 150 shipped. here are some pics, i will be swapping my motor soon!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Looks pretty nice. I would probably try this over the DC. Also costs helps with that choice. Cant beat that for 150. The shots on the ports were kinda dark. How are the welds.... You could probably also smooth those things up some.

The rest looks pretty good.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i got the same deal as wantaprelude... 150 shipped, ss 4-2-1 headers. really good looks, good top end gains, and a nice satisfying sound. id give them a 9/10... id buy them again for sure :clap

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
where did you guys get it for 150? also, they only make ceramic headers for my LS/GS motor. which is better, ceramic or ss? they do make a stainless header for the integra, but it's the GS-R model. would that fit on my LS/GS motor??

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
our garage used to sell megan's products....let's just say they're not that good. our cost on the header was $50 and we had some crazy markups. also our strut bars from them were like $12 and we'd markup to $40 or so.

don't forget also for us cali people....if a cop sees this and there's no CARB exemption plaque, then get ready to pay an expensive trip to the state ref

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
98Vtec said:
good thing to go by
exactly

like what it says in my sig: there are three things to tuning - power, price and reliability....you're only allowed to have two

·
Registered
123 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
exactly

like what it says in my sig: there are three things to tuning - power, price and reliability....you're only allowed to have two
nice sig :D... beside dc any other headers got carb exempt? cuz cali's laws sux ass...and like flyracerx asked...any differ between SS and ceremic?

:D thz

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I believe Apex-i and Greddy headers are CARB exempt also

SS is more durable. The Ceramics have a ceramic coating over less durable metal, but ceramic acts as an insulator to keep more heat in the header and away from your engine/ac/radiator/intake. but the Ceramic can scrape off and exposed metal will rust.
SS looks a lot cooler too IMO

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got a Megan SS 4-2-1 header installed on my 97 Base Prelude, as well as other three 02 Civic Si. After 6 months, I am still very satisfied with the sound and the power gain. You will definitely feel the power after 3k rpm.(so strong and smooth).
Very high quality and problem free. I highly recommend it~ :clap

Probably you guys will say "Go for the best/name brand or something like that", but Megan header has the best value ratio. Compared with DC or Greedy, which costs you more than $450+, I paid only $160 including installation. (If you think Greddy header is more expensive because of its quality and high costs to produce, then you are wrong. You are just paying for the CARB exempt and "intangible good will")

Presume:

$450 Greddy gains 25whp - $18 per whp
$900 Mugen gains 35whp - $25 per whp
$110 Megan gains 7whp. - $15 per whp.

though there's less hp gain, for the money of investment and return, I will go for Megan.

Cost FYI:
The reseller price if you have a reseller permit (My bro checked it for me)

SS - $90-100
Ceramic - $45-50
(Most of them are made in China, but some of them are made in Taiwan)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
That's great info...thanks

However:
adr said:
Presume:

$450 Greddy gains 25whp - $18 per whp
$900 Mugen gains 35whp - $25 per whp
$110 Megan gains 7whp. - $15 per whp.
That's a bit ambitious. you might see 3-5 hp at the wheels with any one of these headers.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Yeah those gains sound a bit off.

I would guess something like this.

MEGAN: 6-7hp
Greddy: 9-12hp
Mugen: 10-15hp.

But thats just my guess. I doubt we will ever see anyone truly complete a good header test. Unless it was myself and I dont think I have anywhere near the funds nor time to go out and buy these headers and test them all on my car.

But man , that would = some great reading comparisons for a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I just can't see there being a huge difference between these brands. I also fail to see how any of these headers could singlehandedly add double digits to the wheels.
All it's doing is streamlining flow, but that only goes as far as your cat, or your pipe, or your muffler...whichever causes the bottleneck.
Plus it's a percentage gain that also depends on the inefficiency of the OEM system.
So a crappy restrictive civic might see 8% = 8hp
but an S2000 might only see 4% over an already fairly open system...
but 4% of ~225whp is 9hp...a smaller relative gain but more horses overall. Confusing, and misleading results.

So everyone gets different gains, and nobody can fully attribute their gains to that one product because their starting points and test conditions vary.

It looks like I"ll be buying a header on Friday cause my OEM downpipe has a shattered inner wall. I'm buying a DC because it will fit and it's CARB certified. My engine will sound cooler and flow more freely. I won't get a ticket. If I get some more oomph all the better but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I must admit the Megan got my attention for a bit here because stainless=tits and the price is right....but all in all if they can't guarantee the fit and they're not carb certified I'll pay the extra price for the sure thing with DC.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts