Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
2.2L integra said:
anybody know where to buy a megan header for a good price?
ebay or www.ebstores.us, eb stores is on ebay too, make an offer about 15 bucks below what their buy now price is and youll get it.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
why? megan is a shitty product. i know because i used to sell them at my old garage. they are not meant for performance at all. just the "hey guys, i have a header on my car" -((bling)) factor. if you can call a poorly made header "bling"

spend your money on something worth while that will actually GIVE performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
no performance at all? i've been reading around and people have been saying that they have good customer service and there header gives decent hp gains. Also what size are there collector?

but UltraMagneticAL if megan isnt good, what would u recommend below 350?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
why? megan is a shitty product. i know because i used to sell them at my old garage. they are not meant for performance at all. just the "hey guys, i have a header on my car" -((bling)) factor. if you can call a poorly made header "bling"

spend your money on something worth while that will actually GIVE performance.
this is true compared to a 99-00 civic headers, but a megan one pice 4-2-1 compared to a stock dx stile practicly LOG stile header it WILL boost performance no matter what you say man.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
they do not give any good gains. and they are very cheaply made. i know because i used to sell them. their shit would always break when put out in track conditions. maybe for all the ricers and wannabe racers out there, megan is a good product. but if you want something GOOD performance and quality wise, then look to spend a good deal of money.

http://sms-products.com/Headers.html

there are three things to tuning: power, price, and reliability...you're only allowed to have two.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
another thing to help in ultra's case...

does megan racing actively participate in any REAL motorsports?
and i'm not talking about just the vendor midway at drag races and car shows...

like enkei's latest ads ask, "if racing is in your name, shouldn't you?"

the good stuff costs a lot for a reason...

many of them have been proven in ENDURANCE road racing...
hence the cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Megan Racing hasn't done a car show in well over a year. There are 4 Drift cars that are used every week. (350Z, S14, S13 x2). There are several Track cars such as the S2000, Evo8, Mini Cooper S, Sentra SE-R. Megan Racing also works in conjunction with such companies as Enjuku Racing, Jasper Racing, Drift Alliance and Drift Association with product development, sponsorships and competitions. So yeah.. there's a lot of racing going on.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Well... I wanna throw a question out there...

Megan Racing or DC Sports? I do NOT have tons of cash to throw around, and DC would be about as expensive as I would ever like to go on headers.

I've owned DC sports headers for a 91 integra with crap for gains and performance. And I know Ultra is anti-megan, but is there anyone else who has experienced BOTH (MR and DC) headers to tell which felt better on the butt dyno?? lol

Megan being about half the price of DC... and considering my expereince with DC am hesitant to purchase either one.

I can't afford greddy or sms or mugen... :( even if I could, I can't see myself spending that much on this car lol it's a daily driver

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
they do not give any good gains. and they are very cheaply made. i know because i used to sell them. their shit would always break when put out in track conditions. maybe for all the ricers and wannabe racers out there, megan is a good product. but if you want something GOOD performance and quality wise, then look to spend a good deal of money.

http://sms-products.com/Headers.html

there are three things to tuning: power, price, and reliability...you're only allowed to have two.
thats the most retarded thing ive heard.. people who dont want to spend 500 bucks for headers on a daily driver is a ricer now?? most people on here arent trying to reach 350whp all motor so they go with something that will give them noticable gains for a decent price. i have the megan headers and the megan cat back exhaust and everyone who's heard my car says thats one of the best sounding exhausts on a civic. and i felt a gain. it wasnt huge, but its a bolt on for cryin out loud. dont profile because people dont have shitloads of money to spend on a 800 buck headers. some people are on a low budget or just think its not wise to put down that much money on a daily driver.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
if you put a header on for the "bling" value, you're a ricer. megan = "bling" just to say you have a header....there is no great performance bang from it. 1 or 2 hp difference on the dyno can be accounted to weather or even dyno error.

i've got a daily driven mr2 and i spent $500 on my header.

my h22 accord had a $450 header from hotshot.

both gave considerable gains and lasted a very long time. there's a difference between building cheap and building smart. both these headers that i've used are high-mid-range quality/performance headers....i could have opted to spend twice as much for a better setup, but that was more than what i was looking for.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
ultra, can you give us some technical reasons megan is bad? I mean, what were some of the problems you came in contact with, honestly....

Also, would you go with DC Sports over Megan? (I can get a DC header for my car for about $300 shipped)

What's wrong with DC these days?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
the biggest issue is the manufacturing process. that's where a lot of flaws in the metalic structure surface...and that's why megan is so cheap...

performance-wise, they just don't give great gains. for the price of a megan header, you can do something more productive w/ your money....like have it sit in a savings account (which i never recommend because banks rip customers off up the ass)....but that is more productive than having megan products.

there's nothing really wrong w/ DC. it's a decent quality header. although broke people...or people who don't know any better....or people who follow the bandwagon...will say otherwise. it's just not my favorite because they don't give fat gains...although it's great because of the street legality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
the biggest issue is the manufacturing process. that's where a lot of flaws in the metalic structure surface...and that's why megan is so cheap...

performance-wise, they just don't give great gains. for the price of a megan header, you can do something more productive w/ your money....like have it sit in a savings account (which i never recommend because banks rip customers off up the ass)....but that is more productive than having megan products.

there's nothing really wrong w/ DC. it's a decent quality header. although broke people...or people who don't know any better....or people who follow the bandwagon...will say otherwise. it's just not my favorite because they don't give fat gains...although it's great because of the street legality.

That's the reason? That's the grand reason? "The Metallic Structure Surface"? Seriously?!

The headers are made of T-304 Stainless Steel, put a magnet to them, it won't stick. It's heat treated and then polished... not coated or chromed over. You use stainless to prevent corrosion, you can't go too thick or you have too much surface area and then you start to bleed energy. Remember that the purpose of headers is to transfer energy (heat) away from your engine. Too thin, and then they crack and split... which has never happened without some outside force such as impact or bottoming out.

Tuning wise, your engine fires off one cylinder at a time, if the primaries are unequal in length then each exhaust "pulse" runs the risk of interrupting or slowing down the flow of another "pulse". The primaries are larger than stock which also helps the flow of gasses, but not too large as that may slow down the velocity... remember pressure increases, velocity decreases and vice-versa.

Once you are as close to equal length as possible, then you can tune to where in the powerband you want your gains to be by the length of the primaries.

And that's the basic design principles of the headers we manufacture. If it's a D16 then we keep it more mid-range. If it's a B-Series VTEC motor then we keep it more towards the high-end with the 4-1 Headers.

I hope that I have offered a more thorough explanation of my case in point than "The Metallic Surface Structure".

Before you start talking like you know... you better know... and you better have the experience to know what you know, or else what's the point of talking like you know? Tuning doesn't go to the highest bidder... it goes to the smartest tuner.

As for this Daily-Driven MR2, I heard about you. I heard about your Accord when you were in HS. I'm not very impressed.... at all. If anyone has any intelligent questions or comments as well as inquiries, please feel free to message me. If you have some undetermined piss-off at Megan Racing to justify spending too much on car parts... I strongly suggest you stop wasting your time. I can play this game just as long as anyone.... and I can back up every word I say/type day in and day out.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Under8... just out of curiousity, does megan stamp the headers carb exempt?? And if not... will they ever? I am curious because I don't know how strict they are in texas.. I just had my inspection done a few days ago and they didnt look, but a few times before that, they didnt pass me because of an 'aftermarket intake' which was AEM and CARB legal...(i ended up going to a different shop and passed, lol)

And also, can you maybe compare to another header?? Or maybe have a dyno sheet with these on them?? Just curious as I am debating between these and DC Sports.

Thanks! :tu

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
i was trying to keep things simple, but okay, if you wanna get in depth here goes...

in the manufacturing process, there are different ways to treat the metal. a cheap process (which gives cheap products) will undermine the quality of the metal. it gets down into the atomic level of how the metal crystal structures are put together. the manufacturing process of the metal determines this. i don't know where you're sourcing your metals from, but they are crap metals. now i'm not a mechanical or manufacturing engineer, but i know enough from the classes that i had to take as an electrical.

when we gave megan products a chance to prove themselves, 7 out of 10 would crack under real racing conditions...and that's not w/ them bottoming out. same w/ their braces. i had a model come into our garage to do a shoot and guess what? the braces bent when she leaned on our display.

go ahead and praise your own product, but i've tested and retested and had customers come back to me furious that i gave this crap to them. in the end, that's where it counts. as a third party w/ my only interest in my clients, i can tell everyone to stay away from megan because of our track record w/ them...it sucks

edit: also you need to learn to get into context. by surface it meant "to come to light" not the actual metalic surface. it goes deeper than the surface

oh and i don't think megan will ever have the carb legality without having to increase their price. even if they did, it's still a crappy product. what do i have to loose if i don't sell any megan products? nothing. if someone from megan comes here and tries to praise his product, its cuz they have everything to loose.

and there have been enough cases documented throughout the forums saying that megan stuff sucks. do i have to keep preaching about it? no. but i do to help save others from going down that road.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
go ahead and praise your own product, but i've tested and retested and had customers come back to me furious that i gave this crap to them. in the end, that's where it counts. as a third party w/ my only interest in my clients, i can tell everyone to stay away from megan because of our track record w/ them...it sucks
your the only one ive ever heard complain about megan

EDIT: when was the last time you actually delt with megan stuff?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
domscivic said:
your the only one ive ever heard complain about megan

EDIT: when was the last time you actually delt with megan stuff?
you gotta look around. there have been enough.

just last week i had to replace someone's megan header.

i haven't sold a megan product for 3 years now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The_Producer said:
Under8... just out of curiousity, does megan stamp the headers carb exempt?? And if not... will they ever? I am curious because I don't know how strict they are in texas.. I just had my inspection done a few days ago and they didnt look, but a few times before that, they didnt pass me because of an 'aftermarket intake' which was AEM and CARB legal...(i ended up going to a different shop and passed, lol)

And also, can you maybe compare to another header?? Or maybe have a dyno sheet with these on them?? Just curious as I am debating between these and DC Sports.

Thanks! :tu
We are currently going through the CARB Excemption process with the Air Resources Board. We're going to start with the D16 header because it's the one we sell the most and then move on to other models. The models which replace a Close-Coupled Catalytic Converter will not be CARB Excempt because we don't plan on manufacturing Catalytic Converters. We just have to get things squared away for the process though because it's a $2,000.00 Smog Check that we have to go through.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.