Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The only Megan product I have purchased was front and rear strut bars for my teg, they were loosely adjustable, and did not fit correctly.

when it comes to the headers, the only knowledge I have is from the DYNO sheets, which are mostly comparable to DC performance gains, for the price, I think Megan headers are worth it, but the fact remains that you get what you pay for, and that holds true, they obviously cant be compaired to Comptech, TODA, Mugen, or Hotshot, if they where that good, every company would have to reduce their price to $130 also. IMO Megan needs to save up some more money, invest it into some higher quality production equipment, get all of their products legalised in all 50 states, and begin to prove themselves in the racing world, and Im not just talking about D1.
Im not saying that they will never be a large competetor in the performance market, but its going to be a while before I have enough confidence in Megan to buy another product from them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
all the experience ive had with megan products have been top notch and would recommend them again

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought and installed a set of Megan 4-2-1 stainless steel headers for my 98 prelude. I got them off ebay for $150 and also some thermotech heat wrap another for $40. I bought these headers mostly because of the low price to performance gains ratio and the 1-year warranty they came with.

The installation was fairly easy, it just took some muscle to get the old headers off. I bought 2"x50' heat wrap, it was plenty I still had about 14' left over. Before I put the new headers on, I cleaned the mating surface on the exhaust port by sanding off the exhaust residue. The new headers fit perfectly and Megan sent new gaskets so I didn't have to reuse the old ones.

As for performance, I could feel a difference in the mid-range rpms. I could also tell a big difference in the sound, especially when I hit vtec.
Overall, I was impressed by the value of these headers and would recommend them to anyone in the market for headers who doesn't want to spend $500+

Here's a picture of the finished product...

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
just thought I'd throw in an update. I've had my Megan 4-2-1 on for about a year now. It has thousands of miles on it, and has been to the track MANY MANY times.

All the welds have held, no cracks, no rust, no ANYTHING. Still looks brand new (except for the change in color) Inspected it when I took it off the otherday.

So HUGE A+! For the Megan header. Especially for how hard I have beat on this car at the track/road ect...

·
Registered
27 Posts
under8seconds said:
So people from the old garage (which according to you was 4 years ago) are coming back NOW for a header cause their old one was "shit"? Something doesn't fit... a lot of the stories (Wholesale Price, Accord Driver...) don't seem to fit.

Sometimes people just sound bitter about things it seems.

So far people who have posted on this thread who ACTUALLY OWN and/or have tried the headers seem to like them. And so far, correct me if I'm wrong there's one person who claims to have experience with them says they are "shit"?
I REALLY think this guy who worked in this shop, bought a megan and had a problem with it, or just threw on a used FREE one from "the shop" and HE had problems with it, which would explain the biased opinions on megan........ Just what I think ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
ok i got a 96 civic dx nd i was lookin at gettin megan headers and i was gon get a test pipe will that give me good Hp gain and make my car sound nice i have a aftermarket exhuast. the megan header is goin to be like 160$ shipped on ebay how much u tihnk for installation. my friend said that the cat was int he header can anyone calirfy that thanks!!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
sounds like your friend is a retard

if your cat was in the header, it wouldn't be called a cat, nor would you be able to replace the cat with a test pipe :lol

what he MIGHT be thinking of is that there is an o2 bung on most headers instead of the cat. He may be thinking that because of that o2 sensor that the header has the cat built on/in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
civic dx 96 said:
ok i got a 96 civic dx nd i was lookin at gettin megan headers and i was gon get a test pipe will that give me good Hp gain and make my car sound nice i have a aftermarket exhuast. the megan header is goin to be like 160$ shipped on ebay how much u tihnk for installation. my friend said that the cat was int he header can anyone calirfy that thanks!!
Actually I think he means you have a Close-Coupled Catalytic Converter, so it's actually a Manifold-Cat-Downpipe setup. If you replace that using one of our headers then the Header will end up replacing that entire setup and it will end up bolting right to your Mid-Pipe and completely eliminate your Catalytic Converter... I think that's what he's sayin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyways I saw the post on the MEGAN RACING being crap so I decided to join in.

I own one, it was damaged by someone who bottomed it out on a lowered car. Sucks for him and me, but I got it for a fair price.

Besides the massive dents in the A-Pipe the header is in one peice and well constructed. I decided to install it on My Accord.

After already building a mock up of a 4-1 I wanted I figured I would try out a 4-2-1. I still don't have the pipe bender to make the final version of any of my headers.

The big hooplah is weather or not to make the 4-2-1 a 180 degree collector or a 360 degree collector.

Makes me wish I had a CBR 929 Taitanium collecotr...
It actually changes between

Sequential Pairing 180* 1 & 2 . 3 & 4
and
Non-Sequential 360* 1 & 4 . 2 & 3

Sequential and Non-Sequential is a term I see used by SMSP when refering to their headers, while 180 and 360 seem to be used by the domestic tuning crowd.

BTW the CBR exhaust valve does not shift the power from low to hign rpms by increasing backpressure it's not a restrictor you don't want backpressure and I'm sure this valve was not designed to make more power by adding it.
The valve shift the power from high to low RPM by actually switching between 180 and 360 collector so backpressure should be the same since the orrifice is the same, the pairing is what changes.

180 VS 360 ( I notticed I have the pairs swapped in the first image but you get the idea)

Anyways so I got the megan as a test the sequential vs non-sequential, the primaries were longer then the DC or Pacesetter Available for the A20 but not as long as I was planning for my own custom 4-2-1.
I would use the same prim/sec pipe diameters as the Megan. keeping my collector 2" and see which one I liked more, though it wont be a fair comparison between 180 and 360 becuase the change in pipe length.

The Megan header awaits a BMC Racing A20 exhaust flange and more modification to get the cylinder #1&4 pipes to allign with the A20 spacing.

BTw the crappy welds are mine :) go mig go!

I dissagree about the post where someone said headers are supposed to bleed off heat. Header wrap does help and coatings on the inside and out even more. I've only personally used header wrap.

:number1 to the guy who wrapped his header.

jprelude98 said:

Combustion would be most efficient if none of the heat energy was wasted/transfered to the head or the block or the valves...
if instead all that heat energy was used only to expand the gasses to move the piston.. probably why you find performance coatings on intake valves and tops of pistons, to reduce heat transfer.

Also be warrned, there are MEGAN knock off headers sold on e-bay. They are not the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ultra, you really sound like an idiot. I was just looking for peoples opinion on this header, because it sounds like a nice product, and I stumbled across this forum. I am usually on Team-integra.net but w/e. You cannot base your opinion on headers like mugen and smsp. Those headers are based on completly different designs. IE full out race motors and people who want to make big power and track there car often. The people who are looking at megan headers are the kind that would also look at DC or Greddy for example. Your basically getting the DC stainless steal design minus carb legality. There designs are for mild power gains at a good price. Now for people in Cali its a big issue but for other people its not. For me I live in NJ so my cars probably gonna get stolen before I have inspection again :mad , so its really not a problem for me. I've had the DC sports header and for 3/4 the price of my cat back, it really isnt worth 300$ (very mild gains, not good fitament actually, not going to buy from them again) I am going to grab the megan when I get my next paycheck, because I believe they make good stuff. What they were 4 years ago is not what they are today. They are a small company starting to get big so they need to sell as much as possible, so they are going to have to sell cheap. I am sure DC didnt start out selling there headers at 300+. And you cant compare to OBX. OBX is an ebay brand, megan is a relativley new company that is proving to be very reputable.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
LightningTeg said:
Ultra, you really sound like an idiot. I was just looking for peoples opinion on this header, because it sounds like a nice product, and I stumbled across this forum. I am usually on Team-integra.net but w/e. You cannot base your opinion on headers like mugen and smsp. Those headers are based on completly different designs. IE full out race motors and people who want to make big power and track there car often. The people who are looking at megan headers are the kind that would also look at DC or Greddy for example. Your basically getting the DC stainless steal design minus carb legality. There designs are for mild power gains at a good price. Now for people in Cali its a big issue but for other people its not. For me I live in NJ so my cars probably gonna get stolen before I have inspection again :mad , so its really not a problem for me. I've had the DC sports header and for 3/4 the price of my cat back, it really isnt worth 300$ (very mild gains, not good fitament actually, not going to buy from them again) I am going to grab the megan when I get my next paycheck, because I believe they make good stuff. What they were 4 years ago is not what they are today. They are a small company starting to get big so they need to sell as much as possible, so they are going to have to sell cheap. I am sure DC didnt start out selling there headers at 300+. And you cant compare to OBX. OBX is an ebay brand, megan is a relativley new company that is proving to be very reputable.
i'm sorry, i sound like an idiot? how do i sound like an idiot for stating facts? the megan header is for the ricer crowd who wants to add "bling" by saying "ooOooOo i have a header." hell, that's what all their parts do. no performance value. performance guys stay away from megan because their shit BREAKS under hard conditions. shit, even one of their strut bars broke when some tiny asian chick leaned on our display at my old garage! for the performance enthusiast, this is a problem. i would never recommend megan to anyone because of this. i build strictly for performance and offer advice in the same manner. this is a performance forum, not a bling forum. if you check the tech forums, megan is NEVER on our list of performance products. 80% of the people who modify hondas are in it for bling purposes only and really don't know much about manufacturing methods or performance value, so obviously there's going to be an overwhelming positive response for a cheap bling. and ever since i can remember, my wholesale on a dc header was never less than $150 and i've been selling parts for a loooooong time. so no, DC wasn't cheap back then either.

and before you go to other forums and call someone an idiot, you better check their history.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
i agree with ultra, but everyone starts small.. i think the company can grow

ultra have you seen their full coilovers, my friend in an si has some.. they ride and handle sooooo nicely and he hasnt had any problems with them yet

now im not saying go out and buy them, but everyone has to start some where.. thats all im saying

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
StreetRacin101 said:
Does anyone have any proof of their Megan headers having failures?
we have some in the accord forum.

i've stated my experiences with them at my garage.

other members have expressed their dislike for a crappy brand from their track experiences.

not a header, but a megan product

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought Megan Headers for my 96 F22b1 accord and they are very good quality. The people at Megan even replaced without question the top part of the header which happened to get dented during shipping. I also have the Apexi WS2 catback and I couldn't be happier with my setup. It's as quit as stock at idle/cruise, but growls when you punch it. Massive power increase all across the board, especially low end. For just under $180 for brand new headers shipped to my door, I would definitely do the same again. I highly recommend Megan headers to anyone that doesn't want to spend twice the money on something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I got mine to and it fit perfect. Same gains as with the DC sports as far as the butt dyno can tell. We'll see if it stands the test of time. Oh and I read in Import tuner they are starting to use Megan racing products so I am sure they cant be that shitty.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
1) a good racing header will not do anything for your bottom end. in fact it would hurt it.

2) a street header is designed for mid range duty, but still affects low end.

3) megan is still crap in my book and always will be

4) who are import tuner's target audience? minimum wage earning teenagers. think about it.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.