Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my car recently smell mildews, kind of old cigarette smell when i turn on the a/c. i changed the airfilter last week but still smells. is this normal because i smoke inside the car?or something wrong with my car?i got check engine light on.thanks. :D

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
it can also be a moldy/dirty/old a/c filter that can be cleaned by a professional... costs around $100, i beleive

·
Registered
747 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
it can also be a moldy/dirty/old a/c filter that can be cleaned by a professional... costs around $100, i beleive
what year accord? the newer ones come with cabin filters that can be changed. most likely it's you smoking in the car that's causing the smell. i quit last year, steam cleaned the interior and i could still smell it 6 months later. it's next to impossible to get rid of cig smoke... especially in leather...

·
Registered
413 Posts
my dad drives my car every once in a while and it still smells...you can have it cleaned at the dealerships for a bill or somethin...I read somewhere that part of the reason it smells is because we dont turn off the A/C when we turn off our cars...it leaves the vents open or closed or something and then i guess air comes in and does something to make it stink or somethin...I dont know if this is true or not but im just gonna try to remember to turn off my A/C before I turn off my engine.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i believe the mildew smell is corrilated to not turning off the a/c in this way:
the filter collects dust and water, and when not shut off for the proper amount of time (i've always heard 2 blocks or so...dont know if its true) then the water will sit there with the dust, and viola, stank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.