Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... s I just upgraded to 1g of memory from 512mb, but I don't really notice a difference at all. I don't know if I really should notice a difference either, but I also noticed this...

...I have a skinning program called AstonShell, I also have a plug-in that shows on my desktop that shows how much of my CPU I am using as well as how much memory I am using. Well I am using the same percentage of memory now as I was when I only had 512mb? Shouldn't that percentage be lower now since there is more memory available? Under "My Comp" it says I am running 1g, but how do I know its actually running 1g?

·
Registered
388 Posts
i dunno if i would trust shells to do the math for you. ctrl+alt+del is your friend. it'll say under performance how much memory you have. if you're computer isn't running enough processes to excuse using the entire gig it might just not be using one of the sticks or something.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nathan123 said:
Sounds like you need to play BF2. That'll give your 1024 mb a workout...
Yeah I have been waiting to play that... cept my graphics card isnt big enough right now so... soon though... soon. But it sucks cuz its sitting right there... right in front of me and I can't play it. My buddy let me borrow his to see if my machine would run it before I bought it...

I looked through ctrl-alt-del at performance and I'm running around 300mb for memory... so maybe it is working my skin plug-in just doesnt read it right or something.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Your puter doesn't seem ANY faster?

Make sure it's free of spyware and stuff.

I just upgraded from 1gb to 2gb and it's great...this memory is also a lot better so I the timings are lower and I was able to overclock it to 240mhz on 2.9 volts and it's not hot at all. G-skill :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gurusan said:
Your puter doesn't seem ANY faster?

Make sure it's free of spyware and stuff.
Well... attempting to solve another problem I had I switched to the regular XP theme... not only did it solve the other problem I have, but I can notice a difference in speed also. According to the proccess list the skinning program doesnt use very much memory to run, but apparently it uses enough to slow things down. I checked the forums for the skinning program and there are a couple others with similar problems... so they are working on a solution for the next version... we will see. I cant stand the look of XP, so I have been using this skin and it allows me to costomize shortcuts, add tables, ect. to my desktop which is nice, but its slowing crap down which its supposed to make things work faster... or so they say.

gurusan said:
I just upgraded from 1gb to 2gb and it's great...this memory is also a lot better so I the timings are lower and I was able to overclock it to 240mhz on 2.9 volts and it's not hot at all. G-skill :p
Explain... I kinda understand that, but kinda dont. When it comes to speeds and what-not I havent quite figured that all out yet...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Well yes a skinning program will definitely use more memory because it has to store all those skins in the memory.

I would advise uninstalling the skin program unless you really like it (it sounds like you do).

And explain what? I wouldn't advise overclocking (i don;t even know if your motherboard has the options)........but DDR memory (assuming that's what you have) usually is rated with timings that are a bit complicated to explain(well im too lazy actually here's a link to an article explaining RAM timings)...anyway memory is rated by timings and speed (mhz). Normal pc3200 RAM runs at 200mhz but you can overclock it depending on your motherboard and make it faster...this usually requires putting more voltage in or the RAM won't be stable and your computer won't boot or you'll experience problems.

Anyway....what's your entire setup? If you have a slow computer then memory will help but not if there is another piece of hardware that is creating a bottleneck.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha had to get those userbars ;)

Heres what I have...

E-Machines...(I know I hate it!)
AMD Sempron 2800+
2.00GHz, 1.00Gb RAM DDR PC3200(2x 512 sticks)
MS-7061 v1.2 ATX motherboard

anything else? I have the users manula for the motherboard in .pdf I can send... or just post spots of it if that helps any...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.