Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TUTTGART, Germany — Mercedes-Benz will make its brake lights flash as a way to improve driver awareness and reduce rear-ender accidents.

The European Union licensing authority recently approved this technology, and it will now enter production in the S-Class, the carmaker said. Mercedes said it would add the new brake technology to its CL-Class coupe in the near future.

Research by Mercedes-Benz engineers has shown that driver reaction times are shortened by up to 0.2 second if a flashing red warning signal is given instead of the conventional non-flashing brake light during emergency braking.

The studies carried out by the team at Mercedes found that at a speed of 50 mph this reduces the stopping distance by approximately 14.5 feet, and at 62.5 mph by around 18 feet.

Source: edmunds
Wonder if this would work here. We're all used to the regular solid lights and something flashing would probably throw many of us off gaurd...atleast till we got used to it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
i've seen around atlanta, a lot of people have something hooked up the the 3rd brakelight that causes it to flash during braking. it's rather annoying in stop and go traffic, but if you're not really paying attention, like on the freeway, where everyone rides the brakes anyway, it does grab your attention.

·
Registered
238 Posts
LOL...you know how many times a light would flash for those people that like to ride the brake every few seconds. You would be behind a car with an almost constant flashing brake light. I thought Ford was doing this a while back or maybe it was just Fords that I was seeing them on. It's very annoying! :mad

·
Registered
226 Posts
yea i believe ford did that with their lincoln line of cars for sometime...dont think they do it anymore

·
Registered
866 Posts
better idea is to make it where the brightness of the light is determined by the pressure on the pedal. if you're just using the brake to slow down a little, then a dim light. if stopping at a stop light or whatever then your normal brightness, then if you slam on it then that's when it should really flash like crazy. if you see the brake light on the car ahead of you get brighter then that should be a good signal to apply more brakes on your own car. if the light's just lit or off, you can't be for sure how fast that car is decelerating. i dont' know. i always thought that would be a good idea.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've thought about the progressive intensity idea as well...I have even thought about having a little light bar on the back of a car that has a green, yellow, and red LED on it...green when driver is on gas, yellow when coasting, and red when on brakes. You'd also have normal tail lights too...but I think that people would pay close attention to that light bar. Of course it may be too distracting and cause more accidents as well..hahaha.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
brady33 said:
I've thought about the progressive intensity idea as well...I have even thought about having a little light bar on the back of a car that has a green, yellow, and red LED on it...green when driver is on gas, yellow when coasting, and red when on brakes. You'd also have normal tail lights too...but I think that people would pay close attention to that light bar. Of course it may be too distracting and cause more accidents as well..hahaha.
there is no winning :lol

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
the way it needs to work is by speed and how hard you press it down....

doing 80 MPH...you press it and it flashes...

doing 30 MPH, it flashes for a second and goes to normal

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
flashing would get annoying. I like the dim light idea. I also thought of an idea for the people driving in the oncoming traffic. Have a small brake light in front so when the light turns yellow and your gonna make a left turn, you know for sure if they are going to pass it or if they are gonna stop. Those seem to be pretty common accidents and if people knew if the were stopping or going, it would prevent some accidents i would think. Just an idea though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
instead of the conventional non-flashing brake light during emergency braking.
I would assume that it's more pressure based due to that statement. They only flash rapidly if someone slams on their brakes.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
DDR2 said:
better idea is to make it where the brightness of the light is determined by the pressure on the pedal.
I could see this resulting in lawsuits. "It was too dim so I didn't see it and now I'm paralyzed" or "It was dim so I didn't think I needed to brake that hard and now I'm paralyzed" or some other bullshit. You know it would happen.

The flashing would be annoying, and once people got used to it they wouldn't react to it faster anymore.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
how about this.... light braking= regular brake light. hard braking.... laser LED's kick on! the driver behind you has no choice but to slam on the brakes cuz he/she cant see anymore!... its brilliant i tell you! brilliant!

·
Registered
849 Posts
i think thats a damn good idea. especially on the highway when its difficult to judge the speed of the retard that is braking late in front of you. and you might not realize how hard he/she is breaking and you run into them...

but even for rush hour traffic people tend to drift away with thier thoughs and forget about the car thats braking in front of them.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
how much more attention grabbing gimmicks do we need? i mean we already have a freaking red brake light.

lets put a siren on everyones car to go along with the flashing red lights. everytime you step on the brakes, the siren can sound so that everyone around can wake the hell up and stop talking on the phone temporarly while driving.

people drive around the rail road barricade and get hit by a train. so i dont think this will help anyone. probably annoy more than help.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Pray it doesn't cause the person behind you to have a seizure and plow into your back seat...

~Peace

·
Registered
17,562 Posts
brady33 said:
yeah i've thought about the intensity thing.. but your right too many epople coudln't handle it :hehe

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think the tC has it such that the harder you brake, more of the long 3rd brake light lights up. so on regular braking itd be like 3 inches of LEDs and as you brake harder, more parts of it light up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
bmw already has the progressive brakelight idea on their cars

1 - 20 of 32 Posts