Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. Guys. I just had my 2 days off work, and was doing some, work on my car.. I pulled the valve cover, and was setting, chcecking my valve clearances.. Now, The way I usually do this is by pulling off the, distrbutor cap, and by viewing, what, cylinder, the Rotor, is facing.. And then checking the clearances on that, cyclinder..

Anyways, Finished all that work, and Some other various stuff.. My racing seats cam via the fed ex, man, and Did alot of work on the car. Tonight, I said, Ok, Lets go for a ride, It wont start.. check the obviousl, plug wires, anythign forgeton. the motor turns over, But there was no spark at the plugs, ..

Pull the distributor cap.. It smelled a bit of buringin. I stumbled around for about an hour confused. Changin Caps, and Wires. and Rotors.. Still no spark.. Then I realized. That small, spring, which sits inside the Pointed end of the coil, and buts up agains the cap, was not there. When I originally put it back together, I must have forgot it. I couldnt find, it anywhere. So I made another one out of some thin wire, to spec. Still no go..

I checked my clymer, manual, and did a rsistance test, on the ignition coil. The one from positive to negative, read as supposed to, however. There was no reading at all from the coil end, where the spring goes, to the poitive lead. So.. I guess I fried the coil?

Without the spring, in there, it may have been arching, over the gap, untill it died? Shit. I guess you have to be very careful, has this happened to anyone? or Do you think its something else.? I am going to search for a new coil tommorw. Have to call work again, for the day off with car troubles. haha wont be the first.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
very simlar thing happened to me a week ago after i did a tune up. i started it when i was finished, let it run, then it just shut off and wouldnt crank. we used a voltmeter to determine the dist. was gettin proper power, but no spark was showing.
we determined it was the Ignition Control Module(ICM), inside the dizzy. you can have it tested i believe at a local auto parts store. the new ICM was like 150, but 170 for a new distributor(icm comes with distributor) so i just went ahead and replaced the whole damn distributor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed It.. I went to Car quest, they had a new stock coil, for 120.00 ...

I said screw that, went to the wreckers, the man said i could have one for 15.00, So i went to the yeard. But every single honda, already has the distributer stolen from it..

I went to the local perfomance shop, as I rembered you could put a performance coil, on with the right cap. They had the civic, external cap there, and a blaster, coil, for 110.00. Sold..

Brought it home, Installed, and runs stronger than ever. The MSD coil seems to keep the engine from fading at high RPMS, or It could be the valve ajustment kicking in a bit too, Either way.. Back on the road.

Lesson learned, Dont forget that small spring in the distributor, cap, Or it will cost, you an ignition coil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, i have a problem with my coil... i took it off put it back on an now it doesn't work??? my friend said i have to get the timing rite anyone know how to get it rite???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.