Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

· Registered
6,012 Posts
IGN (the real IGN, aka U.S.), gave MGS4 a 10. :wow

Should make tha_con happy! :giggle :hug

IGN said:
Closing Comments
Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned rest, Snake. You've earned it. We salute you.

IGN Ratings for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

10 Presentation
A story worthy of a feature length film, with action that keeps you engaged from the second you hit the start button 'til the final credits roll.

10 Graphics

Incredibly detailed and visually breathtaking, with amazing camera angles, MGS4 is one of the most beautiful titles ever made.

10 Sound

Haunting melodies, the re-introduction of classic themes via iPod, and perfect line delivery by actors -- this is an aural delight from start to finish.

10 Gameplay

Not only does MGS4 include new gameplay mechanics, it shatters the mold of what's expected from the series. Stealth, action, or balanced play: the choice is yours in how you explore this MGS world.

10 Lasting Appeal

There are dozens of secrets and Easter Eggs, along with tons of ways to approach any combat situation. Plus, when you're done with the single player, MGO will keep you engaged for weeks on end.

Masterful OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)

· Registered
6,058 Posts
I am, they included MGO. Score doesn't matter, they reviewed the ENTIRE game.

GJ IGN.

BTW, it's rumored the game did 600K first day in Japan, which includes the Limited Edition PS3, and the Special and Regular editions. It does not, however, include the "Welcome Bundles", so it *could* be more, but who knows.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
BTW, it's rumored the game did 600K first day in Japan, which includes the Limited Edition PS3, and the Special and Regular editions. It does not, however, include the "Welcome Bundles", so it *could* be more, but who knows.
In Japan?:confused

The Japanese PS3 crowd must have been dying for a new game. I didn't hink MGS would do that well in Japan. At least not on the first day.:eek2

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Let's see... I'll try to only talk about things that have been seen in the already released trailers, etc.

Right now I'm still on the Middle East stage. I haven't put too much time into the game yet. For those of you that have gotten MGS4 I've already encountered Drebin 893 and I'm up the street from watching Johnny and his "full moon" problems.:hehe

The octocamo is a pretty cool feature, especially if you liked the camo choosing options from MGS3.

I'm still struggling with toggling Old Snake's POV and some of the movements, but getting into the game itself is pretty simple.

BTW: I'd suggest watching the "Mission Briefing" segments. The first one was roughly 15 minutes but they do explain alot of info. that players might find useful as they get into the role of being Old Snake.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Danman wanted a quick rundown and what I thought about MGS4. This is what I e-mailed to him:

I played a bit of MGS4. The learning curve has been pretty steep for
me.

The buttons on the PS3 controller have multiple uses depending on what
Snake is doing. Learning all of my options and being able to use them in
a seemless manner has been my downfall. Especially manipulating the amera angles, and navigating around/against obstacles. But if you've
played any of the previous MGS games then you can jump in and
successfully progress through the game. I don't think MGS:4 is so
different that MGS vets would be too dumdfounded by this version.

So far the game balance seems very good to me. I can totally see where
you could play a sneaking game and try to get by using your wits alone.
But then again, both weapons and ammo are plentiful enough that I've not
felt that a major fire fight isn't a survivable proposition. You can
most definitely tailor your gameplay to your own personal tastes.

If you've seen the trailers then I can say that you'll see them again
during the course of the game. While playing I've already seen the
trailer with Snake in the back of the truck, gekkos chasing Snake up a
building, gaining the MK II, meeting the arms dealer Drebin, etc.
There's additional scenes and dialogue in the game not shown in the
internet trailers, so that keeps them feeling fresh and interesting.

As far as the basics of graphic detail, sound effects, etc. I'd
personally rank them on par or higher in each category with the best of
PS3 games.

Now I can't wait to see if Killzone can raise the bar even higher then
MGS4!

· Registered
6,012 Posts
I picked up the 80BG MGS4 bundle today. Sold my 60GB off to my parents/brothers, haven't had time to play the game yet though. I'm pumped for my Dual Shock 3 as well. :p

Edit: Funny story, I went into GameStop to cancel my reserve on MGS4, and I told them the reason was because I wanted to pick up the 80GB bundle instead. They told me it wasn't a good idea because the 80GB bundle would be 'very limited,' and that their store was only getting two of them. I canceled anyways, and went into my store the next day (Best Buy), to find a stack of about 15 80GB MGS4 bundles. Best part is it came with a free strategy guide, and I picked up the MGS4 headset as well. :D

· Registered
6,058 Posts
Well, hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I can tell you, if you can get past the controls (I dont' think they are that bad, very easy to use, IMO) then you'll love the gameplay.

The other hurdle you'll have to jump is story, but the game does an AMAZING job of running through the story and retells it so you won't be too lost, I'm pretty surprised by that.

There will be *long* cutscenes though. Not 90 minutes long, but I'm not joking when I say they can clock in around 30 minutes, but the really long ones are spread pretty far apart.

Welp, hope you enjoy it, I know it's fucking blowing my socks off, going to run through it again on Big Boss Hard, then on The Boss Extreme.

*runs off to watch Resistance 2 footage*

· Registered
6,012 Posts
Well, hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I can tell you, if you can get past the controls (I dont' think they are that bad, very easy to use, IMO) then you'll love the gameplay.

The other hurdle you'll have to jump is story, but the game does an AMAZING job of running through the story and retells it so you won't be too lost, I'm pretty surprised by that.

There will be *long* cutscenes though. Not 90 minutes long, but I'm not joking when I say they can clock in around 30 minutes, but the really long ones are spread pretty far apart.

Welp, hope you enjoy it, I know it's fucking blowing my socks off, going to run through it again on Big Boss Hard, then on The Boss Extreme.

*runs off to watch Resistance 2 footage*
I was actually going to ask you about that... if I'm only through the first MGS, should I beat 2 and 3 before I move on to 4?

· Registered
6,058 Posts
I was actually going to ask you about that... if I'm only through the first MGS, should I beat 2 and 3 before I move on to 4?

Beating 2 and 3 will give you a 'better' understanding, but honestly, if you just watch the Gametrailers "retrospective' videos, you'll be more than fine, because the game will explain a lot of other things.

· Registered
6,012 Posts
Beating 2 and 3 will give you a 'better' understanding, but honestly, if you just watch the Gametrailers "retrospective' videos, you'll be more than fine, because the game will explain a lot of other things.
Thank you, sir. :number1

· Registered
6,012 Posts
If you need a quick rundown of background info, I can probably give you a time line detailed enough to explain the 1st 3 games, in a few paragraphs.
PM me please. :) Or post it if you want?

I did watch the pre-order video as well (the one that came with the MGO Beta).

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I think that the game does a pretty good job at filling in the backstory for those who haven't played the previous games, or maybe haven't played them in awhile.

Right now I'm past the 15 hour mark. For those who have the game... I've cleared the first section of "Act 4".

*** VAGUE SPOILER BELOW!!! ***

It took me a hecka lotta tried to beat the first boss character! It must have been the 8th - 10th try! But the 2nd boss... One try, no prob.! The balance between the two encounters didn't seem comparitively equal to me. As long as I didn't run out of DP to buy more ammo, the 2nd boss was gonna be a piece-o-cake.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Half way through, for the second time. So far, 0 Continues, 0 Alerts, 0 Kills, 2 Recovery items used.

Stealth and Bandanna, here I come!
Where are you at? Act 3?:confused I shed a single tear at the end of it.:cry

BTW: Should we start up a "Spoiler" thread where we can discuss things in a more specific manner, or should we just go like we have been for a little while more? What do you peeps think?:confused

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.