Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
For those of you that have both GTA & MGS. How do they stack up? Which do you like better & why?:confused

I know GTA is a sandbox & MGS is a linear action game, but both are superstar series for Sony so I'm curious to see how they both lived up to their expectations.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
For those of you that have both GTA & MGS. How do they stack up? Which do you like better & why?:confused

I know GTA is a sandbox & MGS is a linear action game, but both are superstar series for Sony so I'm curious to see how they both lived up to their expectations.
MGS4 hands down.

GTA was a good game, but in my eyes, it failed terribly to deliver. It was fun for the first week, but the rest of the time, it felt like I was going through the motions, race this car, steal this, kill this guy, go pick up so and so. Nothing about the game felt like it belonged together between the scattered bits of narrative.

That, and Niko is a poorly developed character, they start out with an amazing background and so many cool concepts, and then it just falls off the mark once you hit the second island and it's clear they have no desire to develop him any further than someone rising to the top.

MGS4, on the other hand, explores so many different situations of stealth *spoilers follow*

For instance, in Act 1 you're in an all out Warzone, then Act 2 is old school tracking, classic military stuff (following foot prints, trampled grass, paying attention to the animals around you, etc). Then you move on to Act 3 which is a spy story all the way (even though drawn out). Act 4....blows your mind. Then you've got the HUGE amounts of fan service and obvious devotion from Kojima Productions, ever bit of the game reeks of dedication and effort.

I don't know, I don't think there's any competition between the two, for me.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Didn't you feel a bit nostalgic in Act 4?:confused I sure did. Even the last cutscene had me going there for a second. I had to laugh afterwards. (What the guy fighting Snake had to say...:ninja)

· Registered
6,012 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 Becomes Fastest Selling PS3 Game in Japan

Metal Gear Solid 4 Becomes Fastest Selling PS3 Game in Japan
Konami's latest Metal Gear is approaching 500k sold in Japan and has helped boost PS3 sales as well. In the U.K. the impact was "minimal," however, according to Chart-Track.
by James Brightman on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4 is making its presence felt in the land of the rising sun. According to Famitsu, the latest adventure with Solid Snake sold through 476,334 copies in its first few days on the market in Japan. The anticipated software also gave the PS3 hardware a much needed boost, bringing PS3 sales up from a lowly 9,169 units for the week ended June 1 to 77,208 units for the most recent week.

MGS4 also rose to number one on the U.K. charts, according to Chart-Track, but the game was still 14,000 units short of the opening weekend figure recorded by Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 in 2002. MGS4 is now the second fastest-selling PS3 title in the U.K. after Grand Theft Auto IV.

Despite this, however, the game doesn't appear to have helped PS3 hardware in the region. Chart-Track director Dorian Bloch told GI.biz, "There's not a lot to say about it – it had minimal impact really. Units were up by seven percent."

We likely won't have an indicator of MGS4's success in the U.S. until The NPD Group releases its June sales data next month (unless Konami issues a press release).

Thanks to Joystiq for the tip.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
I really find it silly to say it had 'minimal' impact based on the week prior or month priors numbers. It's kind of hard to say there was no impact, when you don't know what the sales would have been without it. That's like saying that the PS3 would have sold the exact same amount it sold last week / month without MGS4.

But, those are the internet crazies for you.

Shiba - Yea, I felt really nostalgic. So great.

· Registered
6,012 Posts
Europe: Metal Gear Solid 4 Sells One Million Copies First Week
Fans have come out of the woodwork to experience Solid Snake's final mission. Europeans and the Japanese have fully embraced the game, snapping up hundreds of thousands of copies during its first week of availability.
by David Radd on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH today announced that sales of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots have exceeded one million units in the first week. The publisher shipped over one million copies of the game to retailers across Europe, with Metal Gear Solid 4 topping several sales charts. 25,000 limited edition copies of Metal Gear Solid 4, which included a 'Making Of' Blu-Ray, soundtrack CD and an Old Snake action figure, sold out almost as soon as they became available.

"The Metal Gear Solid series has again proved its huge potential, and we are delighted with the fantastic response the game has enjoyed at retail," commented Martin Schneider, Sales and Marketing Director Germany for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. "MGS4 is nothing short of a masterpiece – an epic conclusion to the Solid Snake story. We are extremely pleased with the positive feedback we have received from retail and consumers alike, and will keep satisfying their needs with updates to the game's 'Extra' option, and via new content to Metal Gear Online."

Metal Gear Solid 4 sold nearly 500,000 copies its first week of availability in Japan. To find out more about the game's promotional campaign, please read GameDaily BIZ's Ad Watch.

· Registered
6,012 Posts
I really find it silly to say it had 'minimal' impact based on the week prior or month priors numbers. It's kind of hard to say there was no impact, when you don't know what the sales would have been without it. That's like saying that the PS3 would have sold the exact same amount it sold last week / month without MGS4.

But, those are the internet crazies for you.

Shiba - Yea, I felt really nostalgic. So great.
That quote was taken from the Chart Track Director... not an internet crazy. And I'm sure it was simply in contrast to the degree in which MGS4 was expected to move hardware.

Same thing happened with GTA4 though, so who cares. :)

· Registered
6,012 Posts

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
On the KojiPro podcast Kojima Production officially announced trophy support. Plus they said you can now install MGS4 onto your PS3. I thought it was kinda cool watching Snake smoke, but it did drag on a bit too long at times.

Yeah trophies!! Yipee install!!:w00tz

One thing... trophies aren't attainable with previously saved game files. So you'll have to play the game again to achieve the awards.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Update for trophy support is now available here in the US. Over here in California it's a little after 6:30am and I'm doing the 517MB download right now.

"Snake...? SNAKE!?!?":ninja

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.