Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you're not one of them. I know there was rumors over peeps getting banned for using a beta version of Forza. But this seems to be on a much larger scale.

Microsoft Bans Up to One Million Users From Xbox Live

By Daniel Ionescu - Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:45AM EST

Microsoft has banned as many as one million users who hacked their Xbox 360 consoles to play pirated games from the company's Xbox Live service in a bid to counter piracy. The move triggered an avalanche of cheap "chipped" Xbox 360 consoles for sale on Craigslist and a public outcry from users is expected.

The ban from the Xbox Live service is reported to affect anywhere between 600,000 to one million Xbox 360 users who altered their console in order to play games downloaded illegally from the Internet. Microsoft says that this violates the Xbox Live terms of use, and consequently access to the service has been cut.

The launch of the widely expected Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 game for the Xbox 360 probably is what triggered Microsoft's move. Illegal copies of the game have reportedly showed up on various download sites, days before its official release.

Microsoft says the Xbox Live online gaming service serves more than 20 million users worldwide. The Redmond giant added that modifying the Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, hence voiding the warranty and resulting in a ban from the online gaming service.

Microsoft also reassured those who purchased a genuine copy of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 game and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360 that no action will be taken against them. But many are out of luck, as one Xbox 360 gamer explains his ordeal of being cut off from the Xbox Live service in a BBC report. He also explains how he saved almost $1,000 by playing illegal games on his hacked console.

A banned Xbox 360 console from the Xbox Live service does not render the console useless though. Users can play games, but the online multiplayer service will not be available to them. The only way to get back using the service is to purchase a new Xbox 360 console, without any modifications to it.

Following this ban, a large number of modded Xbox 360 consoles are being put up for sale on sites such as Craigslist. The average price for such a console is now around $90, much under the normal market price of around $200. Precaution when buying such a console is advised, as Microsoft warned that anyone who accidentally purchased a modded Xbox 360 console would not receive any help or compensation from the company.

It is yet to be seen whether the mass of banned Xbox 360 owners will migrate to competing gaming consoles, such as Sony's PlayStation 3.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Glad I bought all my crap. I've been giving my name to other people so they can download my arcade games till I buy another 360.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i got banned last wednesday i believe for playing ncaa 10. apparently they did a huge sweep, and caught a ton of people. the burned disks rotate like 1% different from an authentic game, and thats how they did it i guess... it sucks though...

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
i got banned last wednesday i believe for playing ncaa 10. apparently they did a huge sweep, and caught a ton of people. the burned disks rotate like 1% different from an authentic game, and thats how they did it i guess... it sucks though...
Where did you hear that? :rolleyes Maybe that's one way... but I'm pretty sure they can simply detect a modified 360 from the Live service itself. There would be software and possibly even hardware differences between a modded and factory console. Also, many pirated games are downloaded and played straight from the HDD, it's part of the modification. In which case no disc would even be necessary. ;)

I don't condone this though. I've bought two 360's and neither has ever been modded. And I always buy my games! :number1

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where did you hear that? :rolleyes Maybe that's one way... but I'm pretty sure they can simply detect a modified 360 from the Live service itself. There would be software and possibly even hardware differences between a modded and factory console. Also, many pirated games are downloaded and played straight from the HDD, it's part of the modification. In which case no disc would even be necessary. ;)

I don't condone this though. I've bought two 360's and neither has ever been modded. And I always buy my games! :number1
idk its something my genius friend said hes really good with technical shit. yeah i know people dont condone it but im 17 with a car and a life, i cant be spending 60 bucks on new games. although now i have to shell out 150 for the new box and modern warfare 2... it was worth it though

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think the $60 is steep for new games, but that's why I hold off a few months and buy used, or just leave the buying of new games to a select group. I didn't even buy mw2 for a console, just got it for PC. It was a good choice. Instant internet, way better aiming, etc...

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
60 bucks is not steep for new games

the price has stayed the same for over a decade. in reality, gaems are gettting cheaper if you think of it. inflation hasnt changed it :dunno:

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
60 bucks is not steep for new games

the price has stayed the same for over a decade. in reality, gaems are gettting cheaper if you think of it. inflation hasnt changed it :dunno:
werd. i remember buying Mortal Combat 2 when i was like 10 with my birthday monies. $50

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I don't think I ever bought SNES or NES games when I was little, I think I might have owned 2 games, and then my friends and my games would always wind up at eachother's houses. I had the original Mortal Kombat(s) as well. I don't remember how much it costed, but I do remember buying N64 games and they were generally $40.00, but then the really good ones were $60.00, like DOnkey Kong, and Starfox 64, etc... then the cheap ones would be like a Tony Hawk game or something. That was back when if you got $20 for your birthday it meant something, felt like the richest person alive... now I throw $20 everywhere and it's meaningless amount of money.:cry

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't think I ever bought SNES or NES games when I was little, I think I might have owned 2 games, and then my friends and my games would always wind up at eachother's houses. I had the original Mortal Kombat(s) as well. I don't remember how much it costed, but I do remember buying N64 games and they were generally $40.00, but then the really good ones were $60.00, like DOnkey Kong, and Starfox 64, etc... then the cheap ones would be like a Tony Hawk game or something. That was back when if you got $20 for your birthday it meant something, felt like the richest person alive... now I throw $20 everywhere and it's meaningless amount of money.:cry
i wish i could say i do that...

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I saved up my money for ages to buy a master system2 it had Alex the Kid built in and took ages to save for another game.
Now thats when games were games!
+Starfox64 rocked!

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
I would not even cry if video games jumped up to 100 bucks a piece. considering past pricing, current technologies, and teh depth of detail being used, higher prices would fit right in

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
I would not even cry if video games jumped up to 100 bucks a piece. considering past pricing, current technologies, and teh depth of detail being used, higher prices would fit right in
I don't think anyone would cry, everyone would be majorily pissed. Games I think are the only thing where I can actually warrant paying the high price for. Movies at 11 bucks and 12 bucks a piece, I are way over priced, and dvds and blu rays for so much right now are also expensive and I see as too over priced. But if games went up to 100 tomorrow, I don't think anyone would buy them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thts true my xbox is modded and ihave shyt load of burned games thts wat they get for playin live with those games/ im still not banned :p

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
+Starfox 64 came with the fuckin rumble pack thing. So awesome. My friends used to come over and we'd just replay the first level over and over (doing multiple paths) and I'd hand them the controller if they weren't playing when a boss exploded "WOAH ITS SHAKING!!!" :D

I don't know about $100 for a video game... I can get a lot of stuff for $100. I think $60 is fair right now. I also buy a lot of used games, so I don't pay that much to begin with. Only games I ever bought on launch day was Super Smash Brothers (original), Fable II, and COD MW2.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
You're part of the problem.
how so?

he bought the console, he can do whatever he wants with it

this is why when I was big in console games, I had my modded xbox and a stock xbox.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts