Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, yea i know there is a Ford Mustang guy on a Honda Forum. But i am currently lookin a a 1984 Honda CRX. The guy wants $400 for it.

IM lookin for a second car to drive to work to save gas. This mustang is killin me in gas. But i wanna keep it for a play car.

THe CRX needs a Tranny, its a 5 speed but he said the tranny blew out on the 5th gear end.

The car has a D16a1 motor swap in it. What tranny would i need to fit it up to it.

How much do you guys think a tranny would cost.

THis is what it has

stock d16a1
new clutch 12k mi ago

Body:
Needs work but solid
have unbroken door covers
3 spare fenders
1 or 2 spare rocker covers
added an 87' hatch, rear wiper (it works), and spoiler
Choice of 14in 1gen integra rims or 13" stock steelies
spare door glass

interior:
changed cluster to an si and add VSS to it. ( not throwing any codes)
White face gauges.
87' Si door panels.
Complete SI interior for the rear just not installed. Currently has a blue interior painted black.
1gen integra console and armrest
rear speaker mounts and covers.
2-3 extra clusters
1 1gen integra cluster.

So my question is would it be a good buy, How much would a tranny be to replace it. Are they hard to replace. I used to work in a tranny shop for about 3-4 months but never did a front wheel drive 5 speed. All were Autos.

· Registered
874 Posts
i dont think i would buy it just because i love my car, and im not a big fan of the 80"s edition...but hey, you are driving a mustang, time to upgrade.lol:hug

· Registered
20,101 Posts
i dont think i would buy it just because i love my car, and im not a big fan of the 80"s edition...but hey, you are driving a mustang, time to upgrade.lol:hug
I'll let that slide since he is driving a v6 :p

the d16a1 was in 1986-89 Acura Integras, so you'd have to find one of those to get your transmission.

I want to say any d series trans will work but i'm not 100% positive on that, but check ebay and see if there are any over there

I would offer the guy $250

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not upgrading lol. Im keepin the Stang for a weekend play car. Rear wheel drive cars are fun. But i want to try a Honda now. Yea dont here that from every stang driver lol. But i used to own a VW Jetta and a Dodge Neon. Always wanted a Early 90's Civic Hatch. BUt cant find them cheap here. And i saw this CRX for pretty cheap. Its in decent shape. Needs paint but i can paint it my self. I just got out of Vo Tec for Auto Collision Repair.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
Im not upgrading lol. Im keepin the Stang for a weekend play car. Rear wheel drive cars are fun. But i want to try a Honda now. Yea dont here that from every stang driver lol. But i used to own a VW Jetta and a Dodge Neon. Always wanted a Early 90's Civic Hatch. BUt cant find them cheap here. And i saw this CRX for pretty cheap. Its in decent shape. Needs paint but i can paint it my self. I just got out of Vo Tec for Auto Collision Repair.
if your really looking for something to keep for a while i would get a 2nd gen crx

· Registered
10,346 Posts
86-89 integra trannies, also found true BROWN top dohc ZC trannies bolted up, but are alot more rare then the d16a1 trannies.

Look through ebay and craigslist, post up a few wanted to buys on craigslist and a couple honda forums. Youll find one eventually.

Good luck :btu

· Registered
487 Posts
a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) the 1st gen CRXs are old (lol) no seriously though depending on the miles use your own judgment on leaks and what not.
2) do you have any intentions of doing any kind of modifications?
3) the 1st gen crxs are also not as supported with atermarket parts dont get me wrong you can find aftermarket parts for them but the 2nd gen is a better platform for aftermarket upgrades
4) if you are just looking for a car to get you to and from work for cheap i think it would be a pretty good buy how are the tires a good set of tires is worth at least 150-200 dollars alone. the tranny should be very easy to change its just a simple R&R and it shouldnt be that hard to find one. i have an 88 HF tranny i would give you FREE if you just get it out of my garage. if you arent planning on driving on the highway and your just staying in town i would just say drive it till it wont drive anymore then change it. do some research and weigh out your options. in my personal opinion i would probably do it try to talk him down though cause 9 times out of 10 people ask for more than what they expect to get.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) the 1st gen CRXs are old (lol) no seriously though depending on the miles use your own judgment on leaks and what not.
2) do you have any intentions of doing any kind of modifications?
3) the 1st gen crxs are also not as supported with atermarket parts dont get me wrong you can find aftermarket parts for them but the 2nd gen is a better platform for aftermarket upgrades
4) if you are just looking for a car to get you to and from work for cheap i think it would be a pretty good buy how are the tires a good set of tires is worth at least 150-200 dollars alone. the tranny should be very easy to change its just a simple R&R and it shouldnt be that hard to find one. i have an 88 HF tranny i would give you FREE if you just get it out of my garage. if you arent planning on driving on the highway and your just staying in town i would just say drive it till it wont drive anymore then change it. do some research and weigh out your options. in my personal opinion i would probably do it try to talk him down though cause 9 times out of 10 people ask for more than what they expect to get.
where do you live, i'll take that transmission if you live close by

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He orignally wanted $500 but he said he would take $400. I cant drive it how it sits now. He said the tranny cracked on the 5th gear end . its a 5 speed. Are 2nd gen crx's hard to come buy. Are they still pretty cheap. I cant find any around here. This is my first ive seen. but 1st gen. I want somethin i can get good gas milage and mod. I like modding things just this Mustang is expensive on parts lol.

· Registered
487 Posts
it just depends where you are located. you can check out crx community there are alot of guys on there that are selling crxs mostly second gen some stock for pretty cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.