Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im putting together a d16y6 with a 16y8 with /i/h/e port and polish head,zex cam, 7lb flywheel, obx intake manifold, gude 70mm thottle body and d16a1 (zc p29)pistons and rods, i need some tips on what else i should do and not to do whe building a high compression engine?

which rods are better to use d16a1 or d16y6 ? do i have to change stuff like water pump and oil pump ? rings ? the block is in good condition only has 70,000 miles on it

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
mclean987 said:
im putting together a d16y6 with a 16y8 with /i/h/e port and polish head,zex cam, 7lb flywheel, obx intake manifold, gude 70mm thottle body and d16a1 (zc p29)pistons and rods, i need some tips on what else i should do and not to do whe building a high compression engine?

which rods are better to use d16a1 or d16y6 ? do i have to change stuff like water pump and oil pump ? rings ? the block is in good condition only has 70,000 miles on it
Well, what is your horsepower goal? Depending upon that, you should consider whether or not your want to use OEM new/used rods and pistons.

Clearances, you'll want to be on the slightly looser side of the factory specs. Make sure your oil pump is in sound condition. Hondabond is the best thing since tits on women. Replace the water pump, a new one really is not that expensive. Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com for your bearings...you'll easily save yourself over 40 bucks doing it that was as opposed to going to your neighborhood Honda Dealership. If you go with aftermarket pistons, make sure you go at least .25 mm over, and have your cylinders bored and honed to fit. Invest in some ARP head studs since you should be replacing your integral fasteners anyways.

Other than that...that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: mini me monster

-=Zeqs=- said:
Well, what is your horsepower goal? Depending upon that, you should consider whether or not your want to use OEM new/used rods and pistons.

Clearances, you'll want to be on the slightly looser side of the factory specs. Make sure your oil pump is in sound condition. Hondabond is the best thing since tits on women. Replace the water pump, a new one really is not that expensive. Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com for your bearings...you'll easily save yourself over 40 bucks doing it that was as opposed to going to your neighborhood Honda Dealership. If you go with aftermarket pistons, make sure you go at least .25 mm over, and have your cylinders bored and honed to fit. Invest in some ARP head studs since you should be replacing your integral fasteners anyways.

i wanna get like atleast 180hp natural aspirated from my minime setup is that likely ?what is hondabond ? so should i buy water pump and oil pump at hondaautomotiveparts.com aswell ? i already have zc p29 pistons and rods

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

-=Zeqs=- said:

how much do the head studs go for ? how are they different from the honda bolts ?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Re: Re: mini me monster

mclean987 said:
how much do the head studs go for ? how are they different from the honda bolts ?
i believe the head studs will go for somewhere in the 50-100 pricerange (yeah, thats kinda big, but i cant remember the price off the top of my head). the stud is threaded on both ends, instead of being a normal bolt. one end screws into the block, the head goes on top, then a bolt is then attached to the other end of the stud.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Re: Re: Re: mini me monster

mclean987 said:
i wanna get like atleast 180hp natural aspirated from my minime setup is that likely ?what is hondabond ? so should i buy water pump and oil pump at hondaautomotiveparts.com aswell ? i already have zc p29 pistons and rods

You will need a large cam, and one hell of a compression ratio. Call adems auto in crestview flroida, they build some inane SOHC's. 1-850-683-DYNO

·
Registered
434 Posts
What EXACTLY is wrong with the OBX intake manifold compared to let's say.....the venom one.....please be specific. We all know thw research and development isn't there, but other than that?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
typically poorer quality in the materials and manufactore process. often obx stuff is a copy of a good design so it can be fixed up to work better than it would right out of the box.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I found this on d-series.org.....hope this helps.

Originally posted by Rabbid Racing from the d-series.org forum

Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:06 pm
I personally have been running one for few weeks and all I can say is good things. for one, its much lighter then stock, its got a great fit to it and welds are excellent. improvements are throughout the power band.

Y8 doesn't even compare

many made a stupid comment without actually trying one out or seeing one in person. just cause its OBX doesn't always mean its crap ( most cases its true).

Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:57 am Post subject:
ok the manifold came today.....it looks ok but the ports where they meet the flange was a lil crappy...i had to do some heavy grinding to make it all match then i smooth'd it out..so now its 100% and tomorrow i'll let ya'll kno how the installation goes and IF there is any increase in power

Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:28 pm Post subject:
ok i installed the manifold today...there were a number of problems installing it...

#1 it doesnt clear the master cylinder i had to bang it in a lil...maybe because i have an ex with abs and my master cylinder is a lil bigger than the normal one

#2 it doenst come with ANY instructions, bolts nothing just 2 new gaskets...u have to extend a number of hoses and u should get a fpr with the return neck bent to the left....i think it comes on 90-91 integras..u have to extend the hose from the pcv box to the manifold and the hose from the TB to the IAC

#3 There is no room to bolt down the manifold at the flange....the welds and the big ports get in the way i had to do some major grinding to make it work...

#4 When u get it u will have to grind away at the ports right at the flange because they are not even

i cant think of any more problems i will let yall kno how it feels later im goin to sleep..lol
I repeat this is coming from another source but I was curious just as you guys were so here.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
mclean987 said:

obx is crap, why did you get a zex cam? Those are meant to accompany their nitrous systems, if you dont plan on getting nitrous then you could of got something better for prolly bout the same price. why the hell do u have a 70mm TB, that is huge and way overkill. I hope you dont plan on having this as a daily driver because your going to have a lot of fun with that flywheel.

·
Registered
434 Posts

DaWickedOne said:
I hope you dont plan on having this as a daily driver because your going to have a lot of fun with that flywheel.
What do you say that, I was gonna get an 8lb one, why is that bad for a daily driver?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
ripzone said:
dont worrie about thr flywheel it just drop out of range faster its not hard to ajust to
....riiiight, lets see him try to go up a decent hill, That is a little extreme for daily use..you would be fine with a 12lb.

·
Registered
434 Posts
DaWickedOne said:
....riiiight, lets see him try to go up a decent hill, That is a little extreme for daily use..you would be fine with a 12lb.
Does a lighter flywheel decrease TQ? What does it do? Don't leave me in the dark!:mad

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a lighter flywheel decreases tq but increases acceleration, i was gonna put on a 7lb but i want a heavier one now because my friend installed one on his d16y8 and he says it feels worse, maybe he doesnt have enough tq to push it ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
mclean987 said:
a lighter flywheel decreases tq but increases acceleration, i was gonna put on a 7lb but i want a heavier one now because my friend installed one on his d16y8 and he says it feels worse, maybe he doesnt have enough tq to push it ?
I thought TQ is acceleration?

·
Registered
103 Posts
....riiiight, lets see him try to go up a decent hill

Explain how a light flywheel makes it harder to go up a hill ?!?!?!?

and no a light flywheel does not decrease tq . why would it ? your just removing some rotational mass wich helps the engine rev it doesnt increse it either just helps the engine make better use of what its got you just have to get use to it cuz it drop out faster but if you want to be conservative well then go with a 12 lbs one

but ive been drivin on a 7.5 for 6 months now and wouldnt go back to stock or a 12 lbs one guess its a question of feling and how serious you r about moding your engine

1 - 20 of 33 Posts