Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Mini-Me timing and fuel

849 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kommon_sense 
#1 ·
I just bought an 89 Civic Si with a mini-me swap done. It's a D16 block mated to a y8 head from a 96 EX, so I've got SOHC VTEC going on my Field's VTEC controller. Anyway...
The previous owner has the timing retarded quite a bit, I want to say its around 12-14 degrees BTDC versus the stock 16-20 (??) I just want to know if anybody that has this setup know where I oughta put it, if I should change it at all. He said he retarded it for anti-detonation reasons.

Also, Should I tweak the fuel curve numbers? If so, how so?

I have VTEC setup to engage at 5000, is this good?

Thanks, all help IS appreciated!

#2 ·
19-20 btdc if your on 91 or better octane.

your on your own with tuning the fields, ive never used it.

however that thing actualy works, just remember that with the cam change the fuel and ignition need changed in order to take advantage of the Vtec Lobes.

#3 ·
I would say stay around 12-14deg with the y8 head. Reason for this is the curved dividers in the intake ports in the y8 head are there to promote swirl which aids in combustion. I believe that this is one of the reasons why stock timing on a y8 is 12deg btdc, but stock timing on a z6 is 16deg btdc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.