Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Immediate Release
MITSUBISHI OFFICIAL MEDIA STATEMENT

Mitsubishi Motors North America announces today that it is withdrawing from motorsports in 2004 to focus its resources on continuing to grow its brand and build retail sales.

Mitsubishi Motors won both the 2003 Manufacturers and Overall SCCA ProRally Championships. Racing enthusiasts saw the formidable capabilities of the Lancer Evolution which brings a new North American chapter to Mitsubishi’s impressive performance heritage.

Mitsubishi Motors would like to thank drivers David Higgins, Lauchlin O’Sullivan, Daniel Barritt, Christian Edstrom and Mark Williams for their dominating efforts that brought Team Mitsubishi Motor Sports America seven victories out of nine SCCA ProRally events.

Mitsubishi Motors thanks Vermont SportsCar, Xtreme Autos and MEM Racing for their impeccable preparation of the Lancer Evolutions With their skill and leadership, Team Mitsubishi won every event that it finished.

Further, Mitsubishi Motors thanks sponsors Michelin Tire, Mitsubishi Fuso, Infinity Audio, Ralliart, HKS Engines, PIAA, and Motul for their strong support and guidance during our 2003-championship season.

The company looks forward to a time when it can re-enter the motorsports arena.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
divinewisdom said:
i am not surprised.
It must be tough in tight economic times to front a team for a whole season... I'm just wondering if they're going to still back privateer teams w/ some type of factory support. :confused: I would think they'd still have contracts w/ some peeps they'd need to still honor.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Q2 P.C. said:
Fawkin' pussies.They pulled out of the 2003 WRC to R&D a car for 2004.:rolleyes:
Mitsu NA didn't pull out of the 2003 WRC. In fact Mitsu NA was never in the WRC that I know of.;) The announcement was just for the North American branch.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Q2 P.C. said:
Fawkin' pussies.They pulled out of the 2003 WRC to R&D a car for 2004.:rolleyes:

they were in WRC, just not the full season. i didnt make sense that they participate without a major sponsor or a capable driver line up now would it?
they also had an out of spec car. they had been running the evo to old specs for a long time. the tranfer to newer WRC rules was not going smooth.

to me, Mitsu NA should not pull out of SCCA rally, not when they are building a reputation in America. i mean its getting so much more coverage now. many speculate they are afraid of Subaru NA finally running the STI's next year which they havent done. this may prove alot to handle in the open class. Mitsu may want to fall out on top.

what i have seen is that they have put the cars up for sale at some cheap as hell prices. Know a few people with interest in them and have already checked it out. also know of a company that is not at all happy with the situation as they were contracted in the building of several more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
Mitsu NA didn't pull out of the 2003 WRC. In fact Mitsu NA was never in the WRC that I know of.;) The announcement was just for the North American branch.
I'm talking about Mitsu as a whole pulling out of WRC in 2003-obvioulsy it's not Mitsu NA in the WRC, c'mon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.