Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MMC asking around for buyer of U.S. operations

Struggling Japanese automaker Mitsubishi Motors Corp. is quietly seeking a buyer for its U.S. operations, implying the company intends to leave the world's biggest car market, the Asian Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Mitsubishi Motors' new president, Osamu Masuko, traveled to Detroit in January to begin talks with potential buyers during the North American International Auto Show, the business daily said, citing people familiar with the matter.

Masuko was accompanied by Yasushi Ando, head of Tokyo-based investment fund Phoenix Capital Co., which holds a 21.2 percent stake in Mitsubishi Motors, the sources were quoted as saying.

Masuko and Ando met privately with several industry executives, including representatives from U.S. private equity fund Ripplewood Holdings LLC, the paper said.

Ripplewood did not show much interest in Mitsubishi Motors' U.S. operations, the sources were quoted as saying.

The talks mainly focused on Mitsubishi Motors' assembly plant in Normal, Ill., and its North American sales unit in southern California, the paper said.

If Mitsubishi Motors withdraws from the U.S. market, it would be the first major foreign automaker to do so in more than a decade, according to the daily. French auto manufacturers PSA Peugeot-Citroen SA and Renault SA, and Japanese automaker Daihatsu Motor Co. pulled out in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Source: Japan Times
Not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,608 Posts
hmmm... interesting....

but what cars are mitsu really offering?

accord, altima camry > galant
rsx, wrx > eclipse
GM and import suvs > montero
civic, sentra, corrolla > lancer
and ofcourse
STi > evo hahahahah jk.. the evo is a great car but STi, and EVOs alike.. they don't have a lot of buyers willing to dish out 30k for these cars unless you are an enthusiasts.

they really have no cars working for their favor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't. Their lineup is very weak except for the limited production (5k units a year) EVO which seems like an attractive buy and class leader. The rest of their vehicles have zero pull. The new 260hp Eclipse looked like a homerun for them till they hampered it down with FWD :bh and they have the audacity to tote it as some sort of 350z competitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
if they just put some power in the lancer and beefed up the suspension, i think it would sell pretty well. but they would have to redesign the front fascia, that shit is fugly. i think they should use the evo front evo front end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
jreese said:
I dont think beefing up the lancer would sell it....honda , nissan and toyota have shit on lock...
how much $ is a new lancer going for? i assume its pretty close to the corolla and civic, right?
now lets say they bumped up the power to say 150 hp and made it handle decently. if they took away that front end (it just kills it for me) then i would take that over the civic or corolla. i think the overall look and the back of the lancer looks pretty good. and reliability isnt that much of an issue now cus mitsu will just pay for everything that breaks in 10 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
putting more power and making their cars sportier wont' save mitsu alone. sure that may help in our eyes (enthusiasts) but you have to remember, we're the minority. mitsu has a huge identity crisis. when you think of honda or toyota, the words - reilable, fuel efficient, and quality come to mind. nissan has the wonderful VQ engines, fresh styling, and that notable exhaust note of cars like the 350z, G35c and FX. subaru has the awd image in their favor. even mazda has something going for them being the youthful "zoom zoom zoom" company you know? but where's mitsu? what reminds people of mitsubishi? nothing that comes to my mind cept some girl dancing to techno music in the passenger seat of one of their cars. haha. sad that i remember the girl and song but not the car that she was in. i concur with the consensus, i wouldn't miss mitsubishi if they pull out of the US market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
druuuu said:
how much $ is a new lancer going for? i assume its pretty close to the corolla and civic, right?
now lets say they bumped up the power to say 150 hp and made it handle decently.
You mean like the lancer ralliart?

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/MMS...mID=156&DestinationServlet=Self&1109224515467

Fat lot of luck that did them.

And the new eclipse, how much does it weigh, I heard that 0-60 times are still 8+ seconds. It must be quite a porker if that's all it can muster with 260hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
DDR2 said:
putting more power and making their cars sportier wont' save mitsu alone. sure that may help in our eyes (enthusiasts) but you have to remember, we're the minority. mitsu has a huge identity crisis. when you think of honda or toyota, the words - reilable, fuel efficient, and quality come to mind. nissan has the wonderful VQ engines, fresh styling, and that notable exhaust note of cars like the 350z, G35c and FX. subaru has the awd image in their favor. even mazda has something going for them being the youthful "zoom zoom zoom" company you know? but where's mitsu? what reminds people of mitsubishi? nothing that comes to my mind cept some girl dancing to techno music in the passenger seat of one of their cars. haha. sad that i remember the girl and song but not the car that she was in. i concur with the consensus, i wouldn't miss mitsubishi if they pull out of the US market.
Damn dude.. you hit the motherfucking nail on the head.. you must be some motherfucking marketing type guy or just plain smart.. good post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
aimlesspee said:
Damn dude.. you hit the motherfucking nail on the head.. you must be some motherfucking marketing type guy or just plain smart.. good post

haha, glad my degree in marketing is finally being put to good use :clap lol.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top