Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mobil1 Synthetic Vs Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil: Comparison and Review.

The car it will be tested on is a 93 Honda Prelude VTEC / h22a1 usdm motor.

I will be doing a couple of tests on these two oils to see how they perform against each other. I will probably add to the list of oils or compile a full tech page on this later.

But heres a good read to start you off.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have begun the testing already. So far the visual tests have gone great. The amsoil is still golden and hasnt gone down in level yet.

I still have lots of miles to log, but this is a great sign. I will be participating in an autox next week. So that will proove to be a great test.

Will keep you updated. :tu

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
good switch?

im currenttly using amsoil 0-30 and amsoil oil filter but because im fed up of ordering thru online i'm swithing to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 and also mobil 1 oil filter. what do you think? because amsoil is 100 synthetic do you think (compare to other brand... penziol,castrol etc) mobil comes closer to amsoil.? and also how good is mobil 1 filter. i know your using mobil as you mentioned in one of your thread before.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hey is it good the Mobil 1 extended synthethic blend???cuz i bought it but i havent change the oil yet but is it good cuz im burnin oil

·
Registered
68 Posts
having yet to complete an oil change on my honda yet i cant elaborate on this particular thread BUT, Having had lots of experience with mobil 1 in the past it caused nothing but drama. Having used it in my 400hp supra and in my 350hp subaru and expecting good results only to be let down eg: evaporating oil is not good oil so a switch to motul was performed. end of problems. im acually trialing castrol formular R 10w-60 at the mo, gives good all round performace and with this oil being the only change a friend made to his 600hp wrx it stoped shitting bigend bearings.
My 5c.
Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you love your engine use amsoil used amsoil on our stock si for 3 years changed pistons out and still had stock cross hatches in walls 75k on the engine

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was wandering if you guys get fuchs oil?
There is a couple of honda only tuning shops here in NZ that swear by thy 10w-30 one.. I cant remember exactly which one it was but im going to give it a go, the motul is bloody expensive. Gonna use fram filter.
Oil change this week sometime, finally :clap

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oil

Amsoil is really good stuff. I also found that royal purple seems to work well, yet you can special order it through NAPA for $5 a quart instead of $7.50 or so. Be careful as only 0-30 German Castrol Syntec is real synthetic, the rest of the syntec line is just hydrocracked group 3 oil.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I forgot to complete the comparison and really didnt get a fair test. But burn off , it seems amsoil and mobil1 suffer the same fate.

I do think ive found a major reason or cause or better yet, driving habit that burns off oil more and thats highway running at wot. This seems to blow by the most.

Other than that they seem they could both fair well...possibly the amsoil would last longer but I also used a amsoil filter which is larger so it was filtering better at first.

After it burned off quite a bit and I did fork the dough for more amsoil as I kinda felt it was just as bad as mobil , just more exspensive.

Another thing is mobil1 came out with a extended life oil and I have a feeling this is going to be similiar to amsoil. Which also says like 15,000 miles. But I went and changed it at 3-4,000. It was dark like any other oil change of mine.

I put in mobil1 and think im going to try royal purple next and then this new german oil Ive seen show up at advanced discount auto parts.

I also went and got another amsoil filter and darn the thing costed 17 and I was about to leave the store at that price , but gave it a shot. Its a different filter this time...not sure if amsoil changed there filters or if this is simply another style of their filters. Was too busy to really give a damn when installing it so didnt really read it.

All in all I cant say I notice much difference from one oil to the next. Ill keep playing around. Also this time I added in a friction modifier...well see how that goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think the best motor oil for your d16z6 is

Proline lol i use to buy mobil 1 synthethic and it was very expensive and everthing but i did the same work as proline. I love proline cause is chepear and it leaves the VALVE cover clean '' idk much about motor oils but i was wandering wut wus good for my d16z6

1 - 14 of 14 Posts