Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I got pulled over for the infamous "27151 Modified Exhaust" ticket.:hehe

Let me get this straight. I could do the "fix and comply" route and reattach my OEM exhaust and take it to a CHP/Sheriff's station for them to sign off on it. But what are the options for going to a referee station and taking the decible noise test? Does my correctible violation even allow for this?:confused

Hahaha! The a week later I got pulled over again for the same thing. Showed the po-po man my ticket & he chukcled and let me go. Catch-n-release FTW!:number1

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
from what i understand..if you go to the ref and test and comply..then you show that to the court and you're good..otherwise its a matter of the stock exhaust going back on to get signed off

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
happened to me when i had my accord. got a "fix it" ticket for it, so i had my mechanic print me out and sign a BS invoice saying he put in a new cat and silencer :hehe

worked like a charm when i had to go back to prove that it was "fixed".

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Like I said, I'm not sure regarding the ref test...You honestly dont even have to fix anything..it jsut costs you more..but if you do put the oem one back on, get it siged off, and go pay the court..it will cost you 10 bucks

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
move to ga and you wouldn't have that problem .....
Georgia Code - Motor Vehicles & Traffic - Title 40, Section 40-8-71

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale any muffler which causes excessive or unusual noise or annoying smoke or any muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device for use on a motor vehicle or for any person to use, to sell, or to offer for sale any motor vehicle equipped with any such muffler, muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

every state has exhaust laws..so you could have this problem anywhere

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
For me, when i got a fix it ticket/ exhaust ticket/ no smog test ticket, all i did was show a that i shipped my car out of the state of Cali, and paid the $10 court fee. I wanted to try and fight it, since my car was registered in PA, with PA plates. I forgot where i read it, but, If my car is registered out of state, and i'm stationed in CA (military), that my vechical is excempt from Smog testing.

And the funny part is, the reason the cop pulled me over in the first place was cause i didn't have a front license plate. PA only gives you the rear. And he wrote that on my ticket too. I hate Cali.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Georgia Code - Motor Vehicles & Traffic - Title 40, Section 40-8-71

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale any muffler which causes excessive or unusual noise or annoying smoke or any muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device for use on a motor vehicle or for any person to use, to sell, or to offer for sale any motor vehicle equipped with any such muffler, muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

every state has exhaust laws..so you could have this problem anywhere
every state has exhaust laws but they only enforce them on imports. how many harley's and v8's with straight pipes do we see running around and cops don't bat an eye. put a fart can on a civic and they act like it's nine eleven

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
yeah, the pulled me over for a loud exhaust too. But I told him my system does not exceed MI decimal laws, I know it does not for a fact.

So, I took his name, badge # went to the po po station the next day, proved my innocence and they let me go, tho they were all kinda a pissed about it

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
smart man. same shit happens here in west virginia. even in pa a cop pulled me over not because my exhaust was too loud, but because he said my muffler was too big :confused. i was like "i was unaware there were size restrictions on mufflers" and no my car doesn't exceed 95 db's at or before 2500 rpms.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
every state has exhaust laws but they only enforce them on imports. how many harley's and v8's with straight pipes do we see running around and cops don't bat an eye. put a fart can on a civic and they act like it's nine eleven
I have a problem with the vtwin motorcycles not getting stopped..But I dont so much have a problem with the 8's not getting stopped because 90% of the time they arnt loud...the problem with the import is that they are small displacement so they hare a higher pitch and raspy sounding. I think I have honestly seen one v8 in my lifetime that was way too loud.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For me, when i got a fix it ticket/ exhaust ticket/ no smog test ticket, all i did was show a that i shipped my car out of the state of Cali, and paid the $10 court fee. I wanted to try and fight it, since my car was registered in PA, with PA plates. I forgot where i read it, but, If my car is registered out of state, and i'm stationed in CA (military), that my vechical is excempt from Smog testing.

And the funny part is, the reason the cop pulled me over in the first place was cause i didn't have a front license plate. PA only gives you the rear. And he wrote that on my ticket too. I hate Cali.
same shit with the license plate happened to me. i had just gotten the car 4 days prior and I still had the temporary tag on. hah. asshole still game me the repair/fix it ticket so i put a mount on the front with a piece of cardboard with a smiley face on it. police dept wasnt too amused by it but the shit got signed off either way.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
same shit with the license plate happened to me. i had just gotten the car 4 days prior and I still had the temporary tag on. hah. asshole still game me the repair/fix it ticket so i put a mount on the front with a piece of cardboard with a smiley face on it. police dept wasnt too amused by it but the shit got signed off either way.
thats actualyl pretty funny

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
I have a problem with the vtwin motorcycles not getting stopped..But I dont so much have a problem with the 8's not getting stopped because 90% of the time they arnt loud...the problem with the import is that they are small displacement so they hare a higher pitch and raspy sounding. I think I have honestly seen one v8 in my lifetime that was way too loud.
i understand the hondas with open exhausts getting pulled over but a civic with a catback gets a ticket while a rusted out ford truck with stacks gets a head knod. my car is nowhere near as loud as either vehicle mentioned yet a cop stopped me and said my muffer was "too big" :confused :lmao i didn't know what to say but try not to smirk

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
i understand the hondas with open exhausts getting pulled over but a civic with a catback gets a ticket while a rusted out ford truck with stacks gets a head knod. my car is nowhere near as loud as either vehicle mentioned yet a cop stopped me and said my muffer was "too big" :confused :lmao i didn't know what to say but try not to smirk
yea i hear ya..I have been there..i jsut shine it on

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the lowdown on what happens in SoCal. Or at least my experiences of what took place...

1. Do not go to a CHP or Sherrif's station for a visual inspection!! You will be mocked and derided by the fine officers of our state.:( Both the officers and deputies I respectfully encountered, somewhat pretended not to know of what I was inquiring about!! It was like divining tea leafs or something to get them to give me the correct info. (Officer/deputy: "Oh, so that is what you're asking about! Why didn't you say so sooner!?!? *smirk smirk!*:() And I was not asking patrol officers but public asisstance officers based at the stations to deal with the citizens of their region.:(

2. Call 1-800-622-7733 to set up an appiontment with a state referee station. The two closest to me were at El Camino city college (Torrance) and LA Trade Tech (near USC off of the 110 fwy in Los Angeles).

3. When you go to the ref. make sure you have your: registration, citation, & driver's lic. The guys at the ref. station said that the majority of cars who's owners elect to try to pass the decibel test with their aftermarket catbacks FAIL!! So keep that in mind as you weigh your options. Overall it's about a 5-10 minute procedure if all goes well & you're the only car there. They'll also ask you to pop your hood and will visually inspect your engine bay. For example they looked at, and jotted down the CARB numbers off of my intake and header. Luckily I was in compliance with the laws in that regard and I had no worries.

4. Once you've been signed off by the refs. head off to the court that's listed on your citation. Again, when you go to court make sure you have your CDL, original citation, documents from the ref. station (sticker and paperwork), etc. You might be able to send the paperwork in via USPS but I don't have the details on that method. Supposedly Tuesday afternoon are the slowest day of the week at the courthouse. Don't ask me why, but I inquired and was given that info. by a couple baliffs.

Once I went to court I was lucky enough to be spied out by a traffic court judge. He was able to pull my citation number and have it assigned to his courtroom. I was out of there in under an hour. People who were there before me were still waiting in the line for the clerk's window when I left the building.:p Also make sure to bring a lot of quarters!!! The judge actually did me a solid and gave me $0.25 to run out and jam into my meter.

The ref. station was free of charge, and the citation was dismissed by the judge ($0.00) so basically I lost no money, but I did take a day off of work to get everything taken care of.:(

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Here's the lowdown on what happens in SoCal. Or at least my experiences of what took place...

1. Do not go to a CHP or Sherrif's station for a visual inspection!! You will be mocked and derided by the fine officers of our state.:( Both the officers and deputies I respectfully encountered, somewhat pretended not to know of what I was inquiring about!! It was like divining tea leafs or something to get them to give me the correct info. (Officer/deputy: "Oh, so that is what you're asking about! Why didn't you say so sooner!?!? *smirk smirk!*:() And I was not asking patrol officers but public asisstance officers based at the stations to deal with the citizens of their region.:(

2. Call 1-800-622-7733 to set up an appiontment with a state referee station. The two closest to me were at El Camino city college (Torrance) and LA Trade Tech (near USC off of the 110 fwy in Los Angeles).

3. When you go to the ref. make sure you have your: registration, citation, & driver's lic. The guys at the ref. station said that the majority of cars who's owners elect to try to pass the decibel test with their aftermarket catbacks FAIL!! So keep that in mind as you weigh your options. Overall it's about a 5-10 minute procedure if all goes well & you're the only car there. They'll also ask you to pop your hood and will visually inspect your engine bay. For example they looked at, and jotted down the CARB numbers off of my intake and header. Luckily I was in compliance with the laws in that regard and I had no worries.

4. Once you've been signed off by the refs. head off to the court that's listed on your citation. Again, when you go to court make sure you have your CDL, original citation, documents from the ref. station (sticker and paperwork), etc. You might be able to send the paperwork in via USPS but I don't have the details on that method. Supposedly Tuesday afternoon are the slowest day of the week at the courthouse. Don't ask me why, but I inquired and was given that info. by a couple baliffs.

Once I went to court I was lucky enough to be spied out by a traffic court judge. He was able to pull my citation number and have it assigned to his courtroom. I was out of there in under an hour. People who were there before me were still waiting in the line for the clerk's window when I left the building.:p Also make sure to bring a lot of quarters!!! The judge actually did me a solid and gave me $0.25 to run out and jam into my meter.

The ref. station was free of charge, and the citation was dismissed by the judge ($0.00) so basically I lost no money, but I did take a day off of work to get everything taken care of.:(
I've always wondered what the number was for the ref testing...sticky time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.