Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all I had to do was remove the four rubber bushings from each corner of the shifter plate, and replace them with shorter bolts and washers. It stops all movement that the rubber allowed without any negative side effects. It really made the shifter feel tighter and more solid. It also seems to shift a bit smoother probably due to the lack of "guminess" it had with the rubber bushings.

the bolts i used are M8 1.25 pitch and about an inch long with some washers on each side. It's pretty nifty little mod that I foun out about on H-T.

Just thought I would let you guys know since I have not seen it mentioned on here anywhere.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nslude said:
yes i did it a week ago...worked well untill i installed my short shifter adapter...i found i had to replace the 2 front bushings for the shifter to feel right...did you have any probs???
I have had my Neuspeed SS adapter since Christmas and just did this mod today. I havn't noticed anything negative about it, but maybe I'll put in the front two bushings again to see if it feels any different. describe to me more what you felt was wrong...

The one thing though is that I still have a bit of play in the shifter (I am pretty sure most everyone with a prelude has this-as well as many other cars) but is there any way to get rid of all the play entirely besides buying the forbidden short shifter?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well when i put in into gear it just felt stiff..like it was catching a little.....this was with the boot and console off.......not alot of resistence...but enough to notice...it still would have worked but ii wasnt happy with it...so i put the front bushings back and it seems better...i guess i could have used a couple of washers to bring it back up to the right height....then it would take out some of the slop again.....i m thinking the way to go eventually is the forbidden way...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crdcz03 said:
done it. love it
you removed all the bushings? I did notice like I said that there is still some play in the shifter...do you have this in your car? It seems normal but I like it to be solid. I noticed a few things that could be causing this but failed to find a way to tighten any of those things up.

I'm thinking I'll get some small rubber washers just to help quiet the noise a bit. then i'll see.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I dont know if you are talking about 4th gens or 5th, but taking from the pics, im gonna assume 4th. So i got a 2000 and i just installed the DC Sports adapter. Everything hooked up fine, but when i throw gears, you can notice that the adapter is rubbing on the center consol. Now this doesnt affect the shifts, but you dont want to see you consol moving everytime either. So any ideas whats up with that, or how to fix? Or am i just being a perfectionist?

·
Registered
99 Posts
you will have to trim the plastic from the underside...where 1,3,5 are...top edge ..you will see it ...its the piece that holds the boot in place....cut up to the staples no further...you will know what i mean when you look at it...

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
WillyG said:
you removed all the bushings? I did notice like I said that there is still some play in the shifter...do you have this in your car? It seems normal but I like it to be solid. I noticed a few things that could be causing this but failed to find a way to tighten any of those things up.

I'm thinking I'll get some small rubber washers just to help quiet the noise a bit. then i'll see.
get 4biddens short shifter... no play. zilch

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was considering that, but im feeling lazy with a bunch of dental work numbing my mouth. So maybe when i have some time i will pull the seats out then the consol and then trim that plastic piece. I noticed it when i pulled it out, but figured DC would have taken that into consideration. Thanks again, and aventually, i will he the complete replacement shifter. No doubt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.