Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the newb. I recently got a 00 civic si. I want to do a turbo, but right now I just want to do some smaller motor mods I can afford. Im looking at getting Skunk2 stage 2 cams and Skunk2 valvetrain components, Skunk2 intake manifold and exhaust. I know that when I go turbo I will lose my V2 CAI and header. I want to know what mods I can do that will work well NA and turboed. Do you know what I mean. Like for exhaust what size piping should I do that will increase my performance now and work good when I get my turbo? I dont want to spend money on mods that I will have to get rid of or that will decrease my performance when I get turboed. So please throw me some info or suggestions that will help. Also anyone know from trial and error and experience what are good inexspensive turbo kits. Im looking at a Greddy kit but they are pretty spendy. Im not looking at building a racer or anything, but I would like to be close to 300hp because Im goin alot with looks on this car, body kit, shaved everything, air cylinders, etc. I want to be able to look good and back that look up if you catch my drift. I already have a 240sx that im working on more for the playing around racing scene. Thanks for the help. Email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
ok, well where to start...

as far as mods... you want serious power, like 300+? you're talking about pulling the motor and doing a build... not hard and definately worth it, but a fair amount of work...

the exhaust problem is this...
turbos provide some muffling and demand lots of exhaust flow... with an exhaust that open on a non-turbo car you will be loud. really loud. stopped by the police loud. and with an exhaust designed for na, you will not make the power with the turbo that you could with a turbo exhaust, so if i was you i would save my money and put all this stuff on as a bunch so that it all works together

good luck and welcome

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
do not get skunk2 stg 2 cams if you plan to turbo. those are NA cams and will not work very well with a turbo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What cams should I do? Also I live in Montana so we dont have to worry about cops, unless we are speeding or a DUI. I have 93 240sx coupe with a Apexi N1 exhaust with 3 inch piping that is loud as frigging hell and the cops here just don t care. There are ******* inbreads driving their big ass trucks with out fenders or a box, windsheild smashed, no mud flaps, one headlight sitting ten feet in the air with 15 damn gund hanging in there duct tapped window and theyt dont get bothered. Its kind of a luxury. Im just going to be patient and wait out the couple of months and buy the turbo kit. I just had a baby boy 3 months ago, so I have to spoil him now. Thanks guys

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
If you don't plan on building the motor then I'd say lower your goals to about 250 or so whp....as far as cams...ITR cams would be nice...

But air cylinders??? wtf? I wouldn't want to ride in a turbo civic on air cylinders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever driving on air cylinders? They are actually a pretty nice ride, not like the bag struts which bouch like my old body dropped bagged toyota truck. Like I said, I have a 240sx for playing around in. My civic is more for the pratice of body fabrication. But after I actually notice any kind of power out of my civic I might change my mind, but I doubt it. I love rear wheel drive. The only reason I own this Si Civic is because I got such a good deal on it. I just got rid of my 93 Lude with a 97 H22a swap in it. It had some headwork and cams on it and it felt like twice the power of my civic. I would love to trade my Si for a accord with a h22a or maybe even a h23. My civic is a litlle small for me and I do not like the interior of my Si at all. Its a little too plain. Anyways im not going to be doing 100 mph powersliding around a corner in my civic, I just want to be able to smoke those ******** in their muscle cars that get 5 miles to the gallon and the other rich punks in my town with APC shit on there civics. All the kids here think if they get a 20 dollar short ram in take and a 15 dollar bolt on noise maker tip that their car is fast, and they beat the shit out of their cars. I dont want to spend alot of money and time on my body kit and then go drive down the road ten feet and throw it all away on the first bump in the road. With air cylinders I can adjust my ride height and get a little more clearance. I have a s15 conversion on my 240sx and spent alot of money on my bomex kit for it and it is beat to hell. Do you know what I mean. Its just for fun! I love cars and if I were rich I wouldnt have a 350,000 dollar bentley I would have a 100,000 dollar honda, or whatever. We all have different likes and I support you guys all the and give you full props for what you are doing, so dont kill my air cylinder vibe. :) Ive always dropped everything to the ground and then I drive it in 3 feet of snow in Montana. I think it is some kind of disease I have. DROPPED AT BIRTH!!

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
if i were you i wouldnt touch a thing under the hood untill you're ready to go turbo. spend whatever you got to spend on looks, suspension but dont do any hp mods. it will be a waste of time and money if you try to mod now but later on go turbo.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
If you want to raise and lower the car I suggest a good set of full coilovers.

modded civics are supposed to handle like they're on rails, and I hardly think air cylinders would work at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im telling you Im not going to go out and beat the shit out of my civic, thats what I got my 240sx for. My civic is more for looks and for me to educate my self better on fiberglass and fabrication. Im hopefully going to Wyoming Tech soon for body, paint and upholstery. I have adjustable coil overs on it now and Im not going to get out of my car and turn them up and down everytime I pull into a parking lot. I live in Kalispell, MT, so I know most people think its just cows and sheep and dirt roads, but its actually not, I live in a tourist town and its pretty big and Im origanally from southern Cali, and Ive lived in Hawaii, Virginia, and Seattle, WA too. But I am one of the very few import fans here that take it seriously. And every time I bring a new kind of style here kids start following like mad. I used to be big into mini trucks, ever since I had my 3 inch body dropped and bagged toyota here there are more and more all the time from all ages. I know once I introduce air cylinders here I will be selling them and installing them like mad. My freind introduced me to 240sx which I thought were ugly at first but with a little love they are awesome cars and there are more and more rolling around town. Im just glad I found this forum page for ?s, because living here I dont have fellow importers for answers. Its nice to talk to people about this stuff that have already experienced what Im planning on doing. So I just want to thank all of you guys for your input, positive and negative. Im a pretty open person to others ideas. I give props to anyone that is putting their time and quality effort into this sport or hobby. Even if what they are doing is ugly or bad looking to me, because thats just my opinion and everyone has different likes and styles. I just like to help others out if I can, even the the other groups like the muscle cars. But if any of them have attitude problems because they think their better, than forget them. There is no real reason to be a jerk to the other scenes or groups. And if any of you are wondering, Im 23 years old and have felt this way since I was like 17. I learned that attitude crap just makes things worse fast. Anyways enough of my peace preaching equality crap, just keep it real and fun people, because thats what its about. Right? Until next time, Nate and his Nuts(I dont know why I got that nickname)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts