Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey right now AMD has NOTHING that peforms ever remotely close to these.

I purchase from whoever provides the product with the most bang for the buck...and when Conroe is released it will be Intel. Nothing compares.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
gurusan said:
Hey right now AMD has NOTHING that peforms ever remotely close to these.

I purchase from whoever provides the product with the most bang for the buck...and when Conroe is released it will be Intel. Nothing compares.
I agree TOTALLY. I have been known to be a pretty big AMD fan in the past... but that's only because they were BETTER. And I do emphasize the WERE. Conroe is a HUGE step up from anything AMD has out, or will have out until the next real architecture upgrade. They need to move it, or I may actually buy an Intel system for the first time in ~6 years. I can only resist that kind of performance for so long....

Reactions: gurusan

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup I was an AMD fanboy ONLY because they offered the best performance. Now that Intel is on top why stay with something incredibly slower..I mean the gap between AM2 and Conroe is just so large it's ridiculous.

AM2 pretty much has no significant benefits over socket 939 other than the use of DDR-2 memory. Whoopee....Intel has been offering DDR-2 Support for over a year.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
until the am2's come out, there's nothing to tout about. all the tests have been done with intels new stuff vs amd's current top of the line that is overclocked.

while amd is known to handle overclocking well, this is in no way representative of what might be the am2's specs. the only advantage i see right now, is that intel will get the jump on amd by releasing the conroe chip in q3 of this year.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's proof.

Socket AM2 5000+ overclocked to 2.8ghz....about 32.4 seconds...That's only a few seconds difference than my 3200+ socket 939 OCd to 2.4ghz

Now here...Conroe at 2.4ghz (clocked 400mhz less than the AM2)...it gets 21.2 seconds. That is a considerable Difference.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
gurusan said:
Umm the AM2's have been out since Monday and they are nothing special.
Exactly. My buddy got one in yesterday (against my recommendation), and the damn thing is about 3% faster than a 939 at the same core clock... and that's with supposedly WAY higher bandwidth memory. It's the SAME CHIP, with a few minor tweaks for DDR2 support. Until AMD pops out the next TRUE architecture upgrade (K8L), they're gonna have their ass handed to them. Conroe >>> AM2. And I currently own a Socket 939 Opteron 165, which has run faster than THE fastest $1k+ AM2 processor.

On a side note, Intel having DDR2 for over a year longer than AMD is a VERY smart move on AMD's part. It's not that they didn't have the tech to do it... they have for a LONG time. It's just not smart business for them to try and introduce a new standard to the market. Intel can force the new platform's prices WAY down (which it did) at their own expense... AMD really doesn't have the capital/name to drive the market in the same way. They would be crushed. I would expect the shift to DDR3 to happen in much the same way.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
gurusan said:
Umm the AM2's have been out since Monday and they are nothing special.
whoops, meant the k8l... was just reading about am2's earlier today... i got confused :eek:

on a side note, what's 5ghz? they conroes are going to be released starting at 3ghz with lower end models being released later with higher end models (so i heard at least... don't know why you would introduce starting with the middle). so where did you 5ghz figure come from?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
gurusan said:
Here's proof.

Socket AM2 5000+ overclocked to 2.8ghz....about 32.4 seconds...That's only a few seconds difference than my 3200+ socket 939 OCd to 2.4ghz
That's because SuperPi is only a single threaded program. When I turn the fan down and run mine at 2.3 ghz, it takes about 34 seconds. And CPU utilization is stuck at 50% the entire time. When I had the water block hooked up and ran 2.85 ghz, it only took 30.

IISaiNtII said:
whoops, meant the k8l... was just reading about am2's earlier today... i got confused :eek:

on a side note, what's 5ghz? they conroes are going to be released starting at 3ghz with lower end models being released later with higher end models (so i heard at least... don't know why you would introduce starting with the middle). so where did you 5ghz figure come from?
Somebody has gotten ahold of a Core Duo 2 and overclocked the shit out of it. The fact that 5ghz has been hit on PRE-RELEASE hardware makes it all the more insane. Once the manufacturing process is improved in the coming months, you will see it getting better and better.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 5ghz was overclocked from stock. But even the 1.8ghz conroes are in the mid 20s on superpi.

And yeah the k8l might be something neato...quad core and such...Except it's only 65nm..which is what conroe is now....so they are releasing it way too late...shortly afterward Intel is going to release their nextgen which will be 45nm transistors! bajeesus. Intel has recently pulled ahead of AMD and AMD will have to pull somethin seriously impressive out of their ass to get in front of Intel again.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And yeah as far as I know the current superpi world record for AMD is 20secs, it was a 4.2Ghz FX-57 on liquid nitrogen cooling.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
how about pricing on the conroe? Intel is usually way too expensive :noo

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
joeyl said:
how about pricing on the conroe? Intel is usually way too expensive :noo
I can almost guarantee that the top of the line will be no more expensive than the fastest AMD FX.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Intel is usually less expensive than AMD...not sure what you're talking about.

209 to 530...The Extreme edition is 999.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
gurusan said:
Intel is usually less expensive than AMD...not sure what you're talking about.
Only on the extreme top end. Until Conroe, Intel hasn't touched AMD in useful price/performance... well, ever, really.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.