Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which games do you think really helped influence the games of today? In any genre, no matter how old...

I say DOOM was pretty damn influential, it helped to move along the 3D Shooter genre, which almost dominated the pc market for a very long time, and in some ways, still does...

okay, so what do you people think?

· Registered
883 Posts
no doubt doom, street fighter, mortal kombat(is it still around??), i'm not big on the rpg scene other than final fantasy but i would think that influenced alot... Gran Turismo, as far as racing simulators the game itself was a revolution

· Registered
5,502 Posts
Still, I think Street Fighter 2 single handedly brought back gaming to a cool new era. So many games have been influenced by it's engine it's almost crazy! I can remember waiting 15 - 20 minutes in line just to play at my local arcade....quarters lined up all over the place!!

Capcom, Nintendo, and Konami are my favorite gaming companies....oh yeah, and Technos and SNK!

JesseCrx

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Duke Nukem was a big game way back when.

Also Wolfenstein 3D was a game that was very influential, even for DOOM.

Now I just play return to castle wolfenstein on the net. That game is badass.

· Registered
283 Posts
That's it!

I was trying to think of the name.

Virtua Fighter for 3D fighters
Wolfenstein 3D for first person shooters,
Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy for RPGs
Kung-Fu the grandpappy of side fighters (remember with the two control sticks, that's classic still!)
this led to Street

anyone remember the original Street Fighter when it went through that fad with the two huge rubber buttons that you smashed with your fist to do moves?

Come on I can't be the only one, it was mid 80s.

What was that driving simulator called in the arcade? Stunt Racer or something with the hardcore polygon graphics. San Fran Rush was good too.

· Registered
5,502 Posts
Yes, I remember the Street Fighter 1 cabinet with 2 big rubber buttons(which would end up ripping anyways) and slamming away at the buttons. I beat the game only once. Usually Joe, or Sagat would kill me!! I would struggle to get fireballs out too.

I have the entire history of Street Fighter on my import DVD of Street Fighter the Animated Movie. Talks about everything from Street Fighter 1 all the way to Super Street Fighter 2 X Grand Master Challenge.

I was such a junkie I now own my import Street Fighter 2 Japanese cabinet! I ought to take pics of my game rooms so you can see just how sick I am :D

And yes, I remember Karate Champ....everytime I see that game I think of that scene in Bloodsport....

"Aren't you a little young for full contact??"
"Aren't you a little old for video games??" :D

JesseCrx

· Registered
16 Posts
-Dragon Warrior was THE first console rpg and its formula is used in basically all console rpgs.
-wolfenstein3d cuz it basically invented the genre
-quake1 cuz it revolutionized 3d graphics
-doom had multiplayer
-stunt driver was fuckin cool as hell! anyone here play or better yet have the pc version, still on the hard drive on my old computer.

· Registered
18 Posts
Shinning Force I on the Genesis was the most influential for me, still playing it on my PC.

Now, if only they would make games like that on your PS2 ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.