·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07/31/2006 11:13:55 PM MDT

Most Japanese cars not made in Japan

By Martin Fackler
The New York Times

TOKYO - Hitting a milestone, Japanese carmakers produced more vehicles abroad than at home for the first time last fiscal year, an industry group announced Monday.
The 12 car- and truckmakers in Japan, which include Toyota, Honda and Nissan, built 10.93 million vehicles at their overseas factories in the year ended March 31, according to a report by the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association. That compares with 10.89 million vehicles that they produced in Japan, the group said.
The milestone indicates that the longtime strategy of Japanese automakers to globalize production is paying off. More important, the trend likely will continue, and analysts say the pace may even be stepped up.
Analysts also said the figures reflected a recent scramble to increase production in China and grab a foothold in the world's fastest-growing major car market as well as their strong sales in the United States, where Toyota, Honda and Nissan have all expanded production.
At the same time, local production helps Japanese carmakers shield their revenue and profits from currency swings and helps them tailor designs to local tastes.
As growth in China and elsewhere in Asia continues, Japanese carmakers are well positioned to move in, and their rapid expansion plans, which bring jobs and tax revenue to the localities, have made Japanese automakers welcome investors in many countries.
Japan's production expansion abroad also reflects how the industry has changed from the 1980s and early 1990s, when Japan's surging auto exports were a source of bitter trade disputes with economic partners like the United States. The first Japanese car plant in the United States

was Honda's factory in Marysville, Ohio, which opened in 1982.
Since then, Japanese production has expanded on every major continent. According to 2005 figures, the most recent breakdown from the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association has 4.08 million vehicles made in the United States, 3.96 million in Asia, 1.55 million in Europe, 645,000 in Latin America, 226,000 in Africa, 135,000 in Australia and 10,500 in the Middle East.
While Japanese companies have been building cars overseas for decades, it is only in the past few years that they have essentially ended their reliance on cars and major car parts exported from Japan.
Analysts said the figures also reflected the robust global demand for fuel-efficient Japanese cars at a time when General Motors and Ford had seen big losses on their North American operations. As companies like Nissan and Honda earn a majority of their sales and profits from overseas markets like the United States, they have been building more cars abroad to be nearer customers, analysts said.
''Japanese carmakers are going where their business is,'' said Koji Endo, an analyst for Credit Suisse First Boston here. ''It's a natural decision, given that their growth these days is all overseas.''

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
yup, and most of that bias is towards where the profits are going, rather than where the car is built.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i think it is our pride, if anything else, that gets in the way in topics like this...

automobile manufacturing is a very important part of our history and culture...
but, it's part of other countries' cultures too...

in sports, in politics, in religion(!?), in money...
we want to be the biggest, the best, the richest at everything...

but when someone else beats us at something that is supposedly ours alone, we get all upset and complain, point fingers, and act the part of sore loser.

do REGULAR people in those competing lands brag and show off how well their country's companies are more successful than american companies or even care where their cars are built? i'd like to think they would be more modest than that...

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
theflipimage said:
i think it is our pride, if anything else, that gets in the way in topics like this...

automobile manufacturing is a very important part of our history and culture...
but, it's part of other countries' cultures too...

in sports, in politics, in religion(!?), in money...
we want to be the biggest, the best, the richest at everything...

but when someone else beats us at something that is supposedly ours alone, we get all upset and complain, point fingers, and act the part of sore loser.

do REGULAR people in those competing lands brag and show off how well their country's companies are more successful than american companies or even care where their cars are built? i'd like to think they would be more modest than that...
personally i think it's more taught, or handed-down hatred; mostly towards the japanese from ww2. i know plenty of relatives that fought in ww2, and still won't buy japanese products.

then there's the whole issue of putting our market in someone else's hands. take china for example. what would happen to our industrial goods (shoes, eletronics, clothes, etc) if we went to war against north korea.

not to make this into a political thread, because that's not what it's about at all, but there's alot more to american pride than what you're getting at. self-preservation is the big one, not ego.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i hear you...

still, it is interesting to see how people abroad feel about our stuff...
when my wife and i go back to japan every year to visit the family, the guys tell me they all wish they had a camaro, corvette, mustang, etc... with dubs(!) :confused...

one thought to ponder...
if you have a gm/ford/daimler brand car being sold in japan, do you guys think people there care whether or not is was made in usa or japan?
this idea would be interesting to study/poll...

just to get the flipped perspective on things, of course... ;)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
theflipimage said:
i hear you...

still, it is interesting to see how people abroad feel about our stuff...
when my wife and i go back to japan every year to visit the family, the guys tell me they all wish they had a camaro, corvette, mustang, etc... with dubs(!) :confused...

one thought to ponder...
if you have a gm/ford/daimler brand car being sold in japan, do you guys think people there care whether or not is was made in usa or japan?
this idea would be interesting to study/poll...

just to get the flipped perspective on things, of course... ;)

Hmm... maybe I should buy a used Mustang and sell it overseas. Maybe I could actually get more than what I paid? Lord knows, they're a dime a dozen over here.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
LevelSevenCivic said:
Hmm... maybe I should buy a used Mustang and sell it overseas. Maybe I could actually get more than what I paid? Lord knows, they're a dime a dozen over here.
you know...
i think you WOULD make a profit selling a cruddy old mustang there...
there is always gonna be a crazy car enthusiast willing to spend a ton of money to restore/drive a car that is unique... ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
marshall mather said:
uhhh, no. where have you ever see a JDM civic sedan or coupe?

the JDM sedan are totally different than the USDM sedan, and coupe are nto availiable in the JDM or UKDM market.

EM1 and FG are USDM bred

EG and EK are true JDM civic (Some where made in canada...EGs were desinged in the UK.)

EP are UKDM civic.

No my ?? was are there any cars that are sold in japan made in the US? Like if honda of japan is at full capacity and needs more civics for japan....Its not like honda couldnt make the RHD civics in ohio and keep them put up till they got put on a boat. They make different cars for different regions in lots of auto plants, no reason it can be done in ohio.

Hold it!.
just found this.

Remember When
1982 - Auto production begins at the Marysville Auto Plant on Nov. 1.
1986 - Production of the Civic Sedan begins at the Marysville Auto Plant.
1988 - Honda of America produces its 1 millionth vehicle, a 1988 Civic Sedan.
.1988 - Honda of America produces the first Accord Coupe for export to Japan.
1989 - The new East Liberty Auto Plant begins production of the Civic on Dec. 18.
1996 - Honda of America's 5 millionth car, a 1997 Accord EX Sedan, is built at the Marysville Auto Plant.
1999 - Marysville Auto Plant produces its 5 millionth Accord
2000 - Honda of America produces the 2 millionth Civic at the East Liberty Auto Plant.

Dam sorry JDM snobs :p .. There are JDM cars made in the US (even back in the day), im sure there are more...ill look if anybody wants me to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
dr_dohc said:
and alot of dumbass ford/gm/dc supporters still argue that you're not supporting the usa at all if you buy yoda/honda/nissan :rolleyes
Yea, that's an understatement. They have pretty viscious attitudes about it too. The wealthy morons actually believe their expensive GM SUV's are made in America, while most of the top selling cars in this country, made under an import banner, are actually built here.

How do stupid people get so much money?

Anyways, I ask these people, what about the American dealership selling those 'imports'. How about the American salesmen? How about the American service crew? They don't deserve an American dollar? They don't deserve to make a living? To feed their families?

·
Registered
205 Posts
blackzc said:
No my ?? was are there any cars that are sold in japan made in the US? Like if honda of japan is at full capacity and needs more civics for japan....Its not like honda couldnt make the RHD civics in ohio and keep them put up till they got put on a boat. They make different cars for different regions in lots of auto plants, no reason it can be done in ohio.

Hold it!.
just found this.

Remember When
1982 - Auto production begins at the Marysville Auto Plant on Nov. 1.
1986 - Production of the Civic Sedan begins at the Marysville Auto Plant.
1988 - Honda of America produces its 1 millionth vehicle, a 1988 Civic Sedan.
.1988 - Honda of America produces the first Accord Coupe for export to Japan.
1989 - The new East Liberty Auto Plant begins production of the Civic on Dec. 18.
1996 - Honda of America's 5 millionth car, a 1997 Accord EX Sedan, is built at the Marysville Auto Plant.
1999 - Marysville Auto Plant produces its 5 millionth Accord
2000 - Honda of America produces the 2 millionth Civic at the East Liberty Auto Plant.

Dam sorry JDM snobs :p .. There are JDM cars made in the US (even back in the day), im sure there are more...ill look if anybody wants me to.
not really news to me, the accord USDM accord in japan is sold under a totally different name. check the honda "inspire" and the MDX as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.