Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying this; but am discouraged by the thought of clay barring my Del Sol with the clay bar that soon becomes polluted and tainted by the very contaminants that it is designed to eliminate; such as semi-metalic brake pad dust and metalic particles form railroad tracks . Despite the showtime lubricant to aid in the process I feel that It's sililar to washing my car with a gritty sponge. What do you guys think?

Mothers How To Video - Clay Bar System

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Considering buying this; but am discouraged by the thought of clay barring my Del Sol with the clay bar that soon becomes polluted and tainted by the very contaminants that it is designed to eliminate; such as semi-metalic brake pad dust and metalic particles form railroad tracks . Despite the showtime lubricant to aid in the process I feel that It's sililar to washing my car with a gritty sponge. What do you guys think?
Well, you want to wash the car first before using the clay bar.
I notice that when I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, I pick up large contaminants when I remove the waxy haze, just like you have in that picture.

I do notice the surface is smoother after using clay bar. I've used clay bar once, but I'm not driving a show car and a wax is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

Mothers How To Video - Clay Bar System
Coincidentally I just clayed my 2500 mile 2011 accord! The pain felt a bit rough after a touchless car wash. With low mileage on it(being a few months old) I'd expect the paint to be smooth and soft. Even if I spot wash it by hand I'd still feel it.

Claying the car, when done correctly, leaves the paint feeling like glass. I washed it, then used the exact clay kit you have. The car was like a marshmellow after the clay! SUPER soft..
Then I finished it up with ICE - a liquid powder/residue free wax.

I highly recommended claying.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I washed my car and waxed it. The surface was clean and shiny but felt rough under my fingers. I clay barred the whole car, except for the front bumper which is all ruined from road debris. It turned out smooth, but not any more cleaner or shinier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think clay bar have these problems which you are saying..because I am also using clay bar from couple of year and I use only mother's detailing products.. so never situated any problem like this. I think you don't know how to use clay bar.. I always use that after washing my car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Washing the car should be done first before claying the whole vehicle. Also make sure to use the right clay lube for those clay. Yes clay will pick up dirt and even wax and sealant So that means you should apply a new layer of protection after polishing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts