Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what the best swap would be into a 88 crx. my goal is somewhere around 250-350 hp turbo or supercharged with nitrous (the real goal is to beat a 99 mustang GT with 350 HP told a friend he would shit his pants when my little crx beat his big bad mustang). mainly for drag but some road racing would be pretty cool. any info, parts lists, links, personal experience would be great thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Mustang GT?

350 hp?
Would that run low 14's high 13's?

I'd say b16 with bolt ons, cams, and tuning would beat that...
GSR swap + bolt ons for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
haha no offense but a stang w/ 350hp is going to be in the 12s, my buddy has about 315 to the wheels and is pullin a 12.5 on street tires and lowering springs for suspension, personally i like the GSR swap it have surprised alot of stangs and any cars in general but it is a bitch of a swap to do but if u get turbo the gsr and run high enough boost on stock interals u can reach 12's and 11's with a good suspension and driver. beware to be where u want to be is going to cost u alot of $$$...good luck

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
oh I guess I was wrong....always thought the 99 stangs were slow, but I've never ridden in one

Well then...yeah the easiest way would be turbo

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Well, here are you reality options considering you don't have a budget, and your really really serious that you want to spend alot of money to beat a mustang in a drag race (which otherwise could have been spent in a different car...):

1. K20(RSX-S or Integra-R) swap. Build the engine and then do turbo. Thats one easy as hell thing to say, but its going to take some money and mechanical(sp?) knowledge to do.

2. K24 (TSX) swap...if this is even possible, and then turbo it. I don't know if there is a turbo kit IN PRODUCTION for the TSX, but its worth a look I guess... if you do this swap that is.

3. LS/VTEC or CR/Vtec (LS block(CRV) / DOHC Vtec head.) This swap will give you a really good powerband. Again, it will take alot of machineing(sp?) and mechanical knowledge to do.

4. b18b turbo
b18c turbo
b16a/b turbo

5. d16z6 (yes this sounds funny) but there is a guy that was feature car on teamrice.org that was running mid 12's with a nice ass d16z6 setup.

Besided doing the engine swap you will want to get rid of anything not neccary for comfortable daily driving. ie: interior, passenger seat, A/C.

Replace sheet metal with fiberglass or carbon fiber parts wherever you can.

Lightweight wheels, sticky sticky tires. Also get a nice suspension set up, some people might say drop the car and make sure it is even. There right in dropping the car, but what you want to do is make sure the front sits lower than the back so that the weigh of the car will be on the drive wheels.

I'm sure somebody will contradict me, or add on, but thats the beauty of Honda :).

Hope I helped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive seen 99 stang gt's in low low 14's bone stock and cobra's around a 12.5-9 with good driving, if its 350 crank ur lookn at around 300-315 at the wheels which will run u a mid to high 12 depending on as always...tires, driver, weight, suspension

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
njn63 said:
The 03 Cobra's were quoted at 390hp and run 12.9. What body style is your friend's mustang? The 99's were boats.

Also, was that 350hp at the wheels or just some stupid figure he threw out? The 99 GT's have 260hp stock and run low 14's if i remember right.
:stupid Unless your buddys Stang is quite modded, I don't think it'll be too hard to beat him with a swapped CR-X.

·
Registered
12 Posts
theres a guy i know with an 04 cobra, he pulled a best of 12.5 totally stock(still with stickers on windows,this is just his daily driver he has a 10second 5.0 as well so i know he can drive...point is it doesnt mean a thing how much horsepower u hav,its worthless unless u can put it the ground and are able to drive it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, this is the driver of the mustang, my car is an 03 with stock internals and stock heads, i have every bolt on you can buy, plus a good set of cams and unbelieveable tuning software. My car went 13.2xx @110mph with that set up, stock suspension and bald street tires on 17" 03 Cobra wheels and NO tune. With a tune, drag suspension and new tires and mild weight reduction my car went [email protected] w/ a 1.7xx 60ft. 99+ mustangs are not boats, they are definately short on horsepower but they have torque, my car currently puts down 298rwhp and 317rwtq. 03 Cobras weigh more than a GT too boot, so you cant really compare there times to a GT, also Cobras have IRS which kills there launches. Today i took a ride in a EK civic with a built GS-R w/ a T3/T4Oe and it honestly didnt feel nearly as fast as my car, I have never had a problem beating any honda and i hang out with a lot of honda guys, i dont feel hondas are a bad car im just on here to help out and say its goin to take more than a swap to take a 350hp GT out, if hes makin that kind of power it sounds like hes got a blower runnin around 7lbs of boost on a safe tune, good luck taking him out. This season i plan on puttin my car on the bottle which should put me easily in the 11s. Once again good luck, a swap and a turbo should get you there. peace.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
^ Multiple personalities eh?

This is what I'd do, I'd get a B18A1, which is OBD0 so that's not an issue, stroke it to 2.0L, and then turbocharge it with a decent sized snail. You could do the same thing with a B18C too. Not too big on the turbo though, I wouldn't want a lot of lag. Then, I'd take my newly fast car, and enjoy some spirited driving, and forget all about beating any mustangs, because in the end it's no big deal. :)

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
HAHA, good job njn63. I say a K20 swap or a H22 swap with some internals could hang with this "mustang" lol, who cares anyways, in the end the guy with the rex has bought a car and got it running 12's using under $9k, the mustang can't say that (don't know true price, like 35,000 for a new 03 cobra.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys thanks alot for all the replies my friend with the mustang has alot of stuff done (tranny, shorter gears, head work, and some weight reduction his dyno slip says 335 Hp but that was a while before he did some more stuff so that is why i said 350. im not looking to beat him right away because i am currently working one my 92 accord which is getting a complete engine with forged internals, sleaved, a very nice turbo setup and alot of weight reduction (its a freagin boat) i am all for the (it doesnt matter if he beats me because i paid 700 bucks for the car, maybe 3 grand and i will be in the 12's he paid 15 grand and he is in the 12's/11's i will take the extra 10 grand anyday over a mustang. again thanks guys

·
Registered
540 Posts
abr3u said:
This season i plan on puttin my car on the bottle which should put me easily in the 11s. Once again good luck, a swap and a turbo should get you there. peace.
well i dont know if its "your" car or not but in ur sig it says u ran 14flat with a gsr and bolts.....personally u need to learn to drive first then maybe u can actually use the money spent in ur car

edit: wait hold im confused....ur the gt driver...well then ur friend needs to learn how to drive...thats a horrible fuckin time

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a gsr with header, intake and exhuast and i pulled a [email protected]s wrong with that???? would u lik to run me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry...there 2 pieces so i refure to them as headers my bad ill watch how i speak about these things in the future...i have a HEADER, intake and exhaust

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
nocsyn said:
well i dont know if its "your" car or not but in ur sig it says u ran 14flat with a gsr and bolts.....personally u need to learn to drive first then maybe u can actually use the money spent in ur car

edit: wait hold im confused....ur the gt driver...well then ur friend needs to learn how to drive...thats a horrible fuckin time
wtf are you talking about? 14 flat with bolt on's is very good. hard to believe though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
14in VW Rabbit wheels with BFG T/A Drag Radials

1 - 20 of 21 Posts