Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Its supposed to handle decently.
MT raced the GTO in the Silver State Classic, and were able to take all of the bends at 105mph without a problem.

Granted it doesnt handle like a ferrari, but it not like old GTO eather...it should hold its own.

BTW: I dont get why they talk about punishing rides from american sports cars. My 240 is a lot more harsh than my Z28 in the bumps. Granted the 240 handles better, but not *that* much better. It certainly is a lot more understeer prone.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
it looks to much like an old grand am, they coulda redone the front end, but real nice car, like the 6 spd manual option!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
oh no, americans are making faster cars than us...hahahhaa...wonder when honda is going to bring a v6/8 350hp out...hehehe....ahh well....not my style of a car like...but i'll drive it!..

·
Registered
306 Posts
the american made car is 5.7liter pushing 350hp 365tq.
so about 62hp rounded up per liter.
compared to Honda's NSX 3.2 liter with 290hp
it's about 90hp per liter rounded down,
so....if a japanese company actually too the time to put effort into making a V8 engine, it would probably just destory american cars yet again

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
JonnyGoBOOM said:
a japanese company actually too the time to put effort into making a V8 engine, it would probably just destory american cars yet again

hahhaha "werd"...

·
Registered
264 Posts
JonnyGoBOOM said:
so....if a japanese company actually too the time to put effort into making a V8 engine, it would probably just destory american cars yet again
If you are going to look at it that way then why don't you use the old 2.0 litre S2000 with 240 hp. Thats 120 hp to the litre. Just a bit more than the NSX.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
uhmm....those big engines also see much more torque in the ranges that we see the most during regular driving. not everyone is a hardcore racer, and they'll want that low-mid range torque to pass up traffic without having to downshift. it's a question of practicality....however it isn't my style, i'm not gonna hate on a car.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
JonnyGoBOOM said:

ok your a dumbass...but ill help you...then you can archive this so shit like this doesnt happen anymore (realllllly doubt it)

add boltons to a nsx or s2k and get what...10whp?
add boltons to a ls1 and get over 50whp( and tq)

if you know anything about engineering/dynamics youd know that the bigger the engine, the heavier the internals, and more engine friction...which means (for all you rejects) that the larger the engine, the harder it is to make HP per L #'s high..

(oh and for bragging sake there are a few 1500+whp 3.8L GM motors out there..thats 395WHP per liter)

thank you:blahblah:

·
Registered
417 Posts
JonnyGoBOOM said:
Just STFU you ricer.
Let me use a little of your logic. Honda has the F20b which makes 120hp per liter.
So lets assume they made a 5.7L engine that had 120hp/liter. It would have 684hp and 510tq.
However the F20b gets worse gas milage allready than the LS1. So if honda made a 5.7L engine, it wouldnt even get 10mpg on the highway.

At any rate, sure the NSX makes a lot of hp per liter...but it still isnt as fast as a Corvette which costs a lot less, and eats less gas despite its larger "american" engine.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
njn63 said:
this is the stat that i think is kinda a sad comment on the GTO:

1/4 mile: 13.5
Skidpad: 63.0 mph

2004 S2000 (2.2L)
1/4 mile: 13.8
Skidpad: 69.0 mph

And we all know that 3 tenths can be lost by not knowing how to drive the car easily, so we're going to be seeing stories of the GTO getting smoked by the new S2000? Maybe. Then again, start modding the GTO and see what happens...
did you know when the ls1 camaro/ta came out they tested it at a 13.8? then got it down to a 12.8? 13.8 is THE BEST a stock s2k has run..give it time and the 13.5 will ATLEAST drop to 13.1..also..the GTO has 2 more seats, and 1000 more pounds

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why are you even comparing an s2000 and a GTO. They are totally different cars for different people. The stupid HP per litre arguement to talk up hondas after they are beat is played out and a ricer move. They could make that motor with alot of power if they want. But then cost would go up, and you would sacrifice mid and lower end power. With ported heads, cam, and bolt ons you can easily get the GTO to 470bhp thats almost 83hp per litre, which is good for a 5.7litre pushrod motor. Not to mention you will still have a crap load or tq. Your never going to get an S2000 to even 300hp N/A and still be streetable. Dont bash a car just because its american and faster then a honda.

And the 2.2litre S2000 doesnt have more hp, just 10ft/lbs more tq, and more power under the curve then the 2.0, but teh same peak hp.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
DontRevMe said:
ok your a dumbass...but ill help you...then you can archive this so shit like this doesnt happen anymore (realllllly doubt it)

add boltons to a nsx or s2k and get what...10whp?
add boltons to a ls1 and get over 50whp( and tq)

if you know anything about engineering/dynamics youd know that the bigger the engine, the heavier the internals, and more engine friction...which means (for all you rejects) that the larger the engine, the harder it is to make HP per L #'s high..

(oh and for bragging sake there are a few 1500+whp 3.8L GM motors out there..thats 395WHP per liter)

thank you:blahblah:
Dont get me wrong I'm a lover of all cars. Two of my best friends growing up drove old muscle cars (71 El Camino SS, 89 Trans Am GTA). But almost any car can be tuned to extreme hp, it just costs more with some then others.

If people want a car to tear up the 1/4 mile and money is their first priority; of course they're not going to run out and buy a NSX. They'll most likely buy a old muscle car and build up a small block.

Building a 1500 hp GM isn't an bolt on task, and your not gunna get there with no turbos and/or special fuels.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Dolby109 said:
Just STFU you ricer.
Let me use a little of your logic. Honda has the F20b which makes 120hp per liter.
So lets assume they made a 5.7L engine that had 120hp/liter. It would have 684hp and 510tq.
However the F20b gets worse gas milage allready than the LS1. So if honda made a 5.7L engine, it wouldnt even get 10mpg on the highway.

At any rate, sure the NSX makes a lot of hp per liter...but it still isnt as fast as a Corvette which costs a lot less, and eats less gas despite its larger "american" engine.
The NSX debuted in 1990 the current vette in 1997. That's a long time in car years. Also, there are more aspects to a car then hp. In '99 Car and Driver hired Mario Andretti to determine the best handling cars in the US and he declaed the NSX second only to the brand new Porsche Carrera 4. The epa's mpg is determined by NHTSA’s CAFE values, EPA’s unadjusted dynamometer values, and EPA’s adjusted on-road values. I believe they include revving the car to the redline before switching gears in the dynamometer test (correct me if im wrong). The S2000's mpg goes down the crapper once it gets up to 8300 rpm, but if driven below the vtec switch point and with gears rowed more sensibly it would probably get better mpg, no? Does any1 out there own a S2000 that can comment on mpg when driven in a everyday way? There are also different rules for calculating mpg for domestics and imports. If a passenger car's cost of the content isn't 75% or more U.S. or Canadian in origin it's considered an import. If not, it is considered a domestic. This isn't a problem with most hondas because a large amout are now built in the US using 90% domestic steel. The S2000s' and NSXs' (built at the Takanezawa plant in Tochigi Japan) extensive use of aluminum-alloy classifies them as imports. Does anybody happen to know how they calculate them differently, im still fuzzy on that subject?

Anyway, yes the vette is a awesome bang for the buck, but it's like apples and oranges with the NSX. Front vs. mid engine. Normal vs. long rev band. Low end vs high end power. Pushrod vs. DOHC. It all brings me back to the main point; the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" has been proved wrong time and time again. As technology gets better less and less energy is lost on heat and engine friction = more power for the same gas.

At any rate, sure the NSX makes a lot of hp per liter...but it still isnt as fast as a Corvette which costs a lot less, and eats less gas despite its larger "american" engine. [/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Car and Driver

The Verdict
Pontiac GTO

Highs: Corvette sound and power, Euro ride and handling, acceptable price.

Lows: Iffy build quality, tiny trunk, styling that makes you say, "So what?"

The Verdict: The Aussie GTO isn't perfect, but don't look a gift goat in the mouth.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts