Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i finally wanted to get into bikes

Learned the class cost 225 since im over 21, ok no problem i can afford that.

I wanted to start out with a old CBR 92-95, Ok not too expensive

Check a quote for insurance, 2K, OK WTF that cost more then my car insurance.

I have to be rich in order to ride a bike -_-

Since im a new bike rider at age 24, is it just too late? Or is it never too late?

I don't know i really want to ride a bike but the insurance alone cost more then the bike, is it worth it?

I got a quote for full coverage btw, Including Medical Payment for Uninsured Motorist.

Any suggestings to bring down the price? Or Should i just give up?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My suggestions:

1) Don't look at a 600cc SS (any year) as a first bike. Look into a Kawai 250r, 500r, Suzuki SV650 as a first bike, used one of those bikes is better. Insurance will be less, guarenteed.

2) State Farm, IMO, has the best insurance rates for bikes. (Only if you have an existing car policy with them) a 600cc SS bike is only $400 a year for me.

3) It's never too late to experience the joys of two wheel travel!

4) Definatly get gear.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! :number1 I don't want a 250cc bike the least is 500cc or 600cc because i plan to learn for a while before i jump onto a brand new bike.

I don't have state farm and 400 dollars?

What kind of coverage? Full Coverage or Liability Only? and since i will be a brand new driver, its going to be expensive >.<

Yes gear is always a must, iv'e learned that it suppose to be a daily ritual, although i see some people riding in T-Shirts :eek

Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Integravtr said:
Thanks for the info! :number1 I don't want a 250cc bike the least is 500cc or 600cc because i plan to learn for a while before i jump onto a brand new bike.

I don't have state farm and 400 dollars?

What kind of coverage? Full Coverage or Liability Only? and since i will be a brand new driver, its going to be expensive >.<

Yes gear is always a must, iv'e learned that it suppose to be a daily ritual, although i see some people riding in T-Shirts :eek

Any more suggestions?
the 500r from Kawi does 13.5sec 1/4 (as fast as a Mustang GT in most cases)
I'm sure that'll be plenty of fast for a season or two.

Full coverage. They don't take into consideration how experienced you are. Only concern for them is engine size. a 1000cc SS is ~$600 full coverage/year for me.

I'd look into getting a policy from State Farm if you have a car.

Most states also require you to have full coverage if you finance the bike. Liability only drops insurance even more. (I think it would be ~$250 if I went liability only)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have full coverage with State Farm also. My car is with another company. I did some research and I was suprised to find out that State Farm had the lowest motorcycle rates. Progressive and Dairy Land were the champs when I first started riding street bikes. For some reason some State Farm agents don't want to be bothered with you if you don't have your car insured with State Farm. There are definitely State Farm agents that will insure you without your car since I'm proof. It's is a bit less with your car also but it's not unusual for an insurance company to give you a multi-vehicle discount. Check the local motorcycle dealers to find a State Farm agent or call around.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hondacura said:
I have full coverage with State Farm also. My car is with another company. I did some research and I was suprised to find out that State Farm had the lowest motorcycle rates. Progressive and Dairy Land were the champs when I first started riding street bikes. For some reason some State Farm agents don't want to be bothered with you if you don't have your car insured with State Farm. There are definitely State Farm agents that will insure you without your car since I'm proof. It's is a bit less with your car also but it's not unusual for an insurance company to give you a multi-vehicle discount. Check the local motorcycle dealers to find a State Farm agent or call around.
I got a quote from progessive for about 2k per year :eek

How active are you motorcycle enthusiasts at SHO? If not too active, got any suggestions for a Bike forum? You can PM me.

Thanks for the responses :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Integravtr said:
Ok so i finally wanted to get into bikes

Learned the class cost 225 since im over 21, ok no problem i can afford that.

I wanted to start out with a old CBR 92-95, Ok not too expensive

Check a quote for insurance, 2K, OK WTF that cost more then my car insurance.

I have to be rich in order to ride a bike -_-

Since im a new bike rider at age 24, is it just too late? Or is it never too late?

I don't know i really want to ride a bike but the insurance alone cost more then the bike, is it worth it?

I got a quote for full coverage btw, Including Medical Payment for Uninsured Motorist.

Any suggestings to bring down the price? Or Should i just give up?

If you havent found insurance by advice is try to shop for insurance online. I checked on the net found it to be easier to go online when shopping for insurance. The place I went to is http://www.insurancepaylite.com They were able to give a quote that was acceptable to me in the speediest time. Anyways hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You need to realize that liability insurance is quite a bit cheaper than full coverage. Especially if you have any moving violations in the past 3 yrs. Also with every insurance company I have come across the longer you are with them the cheaper it is. If your calling around and asking for quotes from places you are not insured through you are going to be rated very high, especially if you have no current insurance at all. Expect to pay out the ass for a while if you start with a new company. Another thing that helps, atleast in MN, is if you take the advanced riders class. It helps to drop insurance in MN a little bit, I dont know how much though.

You stated that $2k/yr was high... which it is decently high... $166/mo. I'm looking at about $2,400/yr right now through Progressive, but thats a new policy. I havent called my agent yet through Farmers but it probably wont be much better for full coverage, I dont have the greatest driving record right now, and Farmers is near the top for highest rates. But I have multi-car discount, longevity discount, and family disount so hopefully that will help out some. I finally got my car dropped to $2,940/yr it was at $4,200/yr for full coverage... try paying that.

I'm actually off to the bank in a few minutes to look at getting a loan for a 99 CBR600F4. Buddy of mine is moving to AZ so he needs to sell it so I can get it for dirt. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
civic_x_95 said:
You need to realize that liability insurance is quite a bit cheaper than full coverage. Especially if you have any moving violations in the past 3 yrs. Also with every insurance company I have come across the longer you are with them the cheaper it is. If your calling around and asking for quotes from places you are not insured through you are going to be rated very high, especially if you have no current insurance at all. Expect to pay out the ass for a while if you start with a new company. Another thing that helps, atleast in MN, is if you take the advanced riders class. It helps to drop insurance in MN a little bit, I dont know how much though.

You stated that $2k/yr was high... which it is decently high... $166/mo. I'm looking at about $2,400/yr right now through Progressive, but thats a new policy. I havent called my agent yet through Farmers but it probably wont be much better for full coverage, I dont have the greatest driving record right now, and Farmers is near the top for highest rates. But I have multi-car discount, longevity discount, and family disount so hopefully that will help out some. I finally got my car dropped to $2,940/yr it was at $4,200/yr for full coverage... try paying that.

I'm actually off to the bank in a few minutes to look at getting a loan for a 99 CBR600F4. Buddy of mine is moving to AZ so he needs to sell it so I can get it for dirt. Wish me luck!
Good Luck!

Yeah it is a bit high, I've considered a Ninja 250 as a starter bike because thats what most people tell me its the most fun and best bike to start with, maybe insurance will be cheaper for that bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.