Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Does mounting a sub inverted (so that the magnet is outside, and the sub is firing into the exclosure) make a difference in sound? Also, I was told that if I do mount subs inverted, i have to change the polarity of how they are fired? Is this tru?

Sag

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
you'll free up about .15 cubic feet of space. not sure if you'll be able to hear that kind of difference.

as for polarity, it depends. some people like the way their sub sounds inverted even without changing the polarity. if u have an amp with a phase controller, just switch it to 180 instead of 0 and see how it sounds. its all up to you if u want to change it or not.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i've only been able to hear the difference one time. It was a really small box for some 12" diamond M5s. i inverted them when i first built the box, but later on i put them in with the magnets inside the box. When the subs were in the regular way they wouldn't get very deep, and they wouldn't get loud at all. basically the magnets and baskets took up enough space inside the box that it made a great difference in the air space so the box was way too small. when i inverted them again the subs sounded crisp, clean, and deep again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it make a difference if polyfill was added to the enclosure when the subs are invertly mounted and fired in???

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
k67p67 said:
Are you sure about that? Polyfill should make the enclosure "seem" larger.
noo..he asked if the effects of polyfill will still be the same if polyfill was added when the sub is inverted. so polyfill should do the same even if the sub was inverted:D

·
Registered
739 Posts
GSteg said:
noo..he asked if the effects of polyfill will still be the same if polyfill was added when the sub is inverted. so polyfill should do the same even if the sub was inverted:D
Right. Right. I didn't read it closely enough.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Question?

Does it matter about the size (volume) of the enclosure when firing subs inverted? The enclosure is also ported.....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Then yes it does matter how much of a difference the cone space gives you. the inverted subwoofer will give you not only the extra space from the sub, but also the area between the top of the box, and the center of the cone of the woofer. some companies give you that spec on how much extra you will gain.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mightymouse said:
Question?

Does it matter about the size (volume) of the enclosure when firing subs inverted? The enclosure is also ported.....
Yes, because you're chaning the size of the enclosure (it's bigger because the motor assembly and basket isn't taking up any space inside). So the tuning will be different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts