Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
As far as I'm aware the only bonus of using a 6AL is a rev limiter.
but basically any 6 series MSD will have a high output for the ignition, which should increase gas milelage, provide a better burn of fuel in the combustion chamber. in theory it should help with performance, but not a significant amount to notice a big effect.

I'm not to familiar with how good the honda ignition system is, so it might not be a great benifit at all.

· Registered
70 Posts
unless you are running FI then the stock ignition will work fine....also beleive it or not i have been told by several mechanics, most Honda's own techs, that the Honda plug wires will do just as good as any after market wires as well........

· Registered
691 Posts
Even running a moderate amount of boost, you should be ok with the stock Honda ignition. There are a couple of nice things about the MSD ignitions and FI

1. The Soft-Touch Rev limiter: This is better than the stock Honda fuel cut-off. It cuts spark instead of fuel so there isn't a lean condition at the rev limit.
2. The BTM - If you are running boost and don't have a Zdyne or comparible ECU, the BTM is nice because it will allow for you to retard ignition timing based on the amount of boost you are running. If you don't have one of these or the Zdyne, then you just have to crank back the static ignition timing which can result in poor off boost performance.

Chris

· Registered
163 Posts
my brother has the MSD 6Al (w/ rev limiter). Like CRX-YEM said its not much of a big difference. I did notice on throttle increase but other than that I felt more power in the mid range but not alot. Something cool to show your friends, take out the spark wire and grounded to the engine. When its stock you can see a small spark, but with the MSD, you see a significantly bigger ass spark! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.