Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need a quick answer (if that's possible). Just about to order the MSD Digital 6 ignition, or perhaps the Digital SCI, and just wanted to know which coil would work best?
The car is a 92 vtec, with the "usual" mods, plus 80 jets of direct port nitrous.
Any advice welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
510 Posts
they are both the same thing according to everyone else i've talked to, one just has a prettier box.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
get the blaster SS coil. it's the recommended one for the application. it's the one i'm running with my digital 6+. go for it!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
buy my digital 6+!!!!! i believe the digital series requires the HVC coil. PM me if you're interested. i ran nitrous with it and it works great. as soon as the nitrous is activated, the 6+ retards the timing. plus it has a 2 stage rev limiter which will help you with consistent launches.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben - thanks mate, I'll look into that one. I actually thought the HVC was the recommended one like road_head said. But if you're running the SS, then I'm sure I can trust your first hand experience! :)
road_head - I'd offer you some for yours, but as I'm in the UK, it's probably easier for me to get a new one over here.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
trust me, you don't need the HVC. i don't have my msd catalog here right now, but i think that HVC might be recommended for the domestics, or something. i think it starts for high vibration or something, which is just for applications where there is high vibration? man i dont know, i'm half asleep right now and i can't think. the HVC might be the recommended coil for the digital 6+ but the SS coil is the recommended coil for the prelude with the digital 6+. i talked to the people at either summit or msd about it when i made mj purchase.

peace

·
Registered
814 Posts
ive got the hvc with my digi6... it might be a bit of overkill, but it is the one recommended with the ignition... the hvc can be installed sideways, or even upside down, i do not know if this is the case with the ss

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'll see what prices I can get in the UK. Although I'm well prepared for bending over, grabbing my ankles, and getting seriously screwed! Prices in the UK are simply outrageous. :mad:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
altered4 is totally right. go download the instruction manual and it says it in there. i had the blaster 3 coil on my car. when i was taking it out the other day, i pulled the plug wire out of it and the coil's terminal pulled out on me.

demonlude, go to this website to see how to install it. it installs exactly as the 6AL does. good luck, you'll like it!!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
the ss coil can be installed in any position as well. i'm tellin you, get the SS coil. is it the shipping that you're gonna get screwed on? i remember i had to ship a valve cover to the UK and UPS wanted $125. i ended up sending it USPS for like $40ish. where are you ordering your parts from?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well firstly I'd get screwed on shipping, then I'd get screwed on import duties and import vat when it gets to the UK. This is aproximately 27% on the value of the goods + the shipping.
I can try and locate someone in the UK, but UK companies tend to charge serious amounts of money for tuning products, as they ultimately have to import them from the States. For example, the AEM CAI that I recently bought cost £200 which is roughly $320 :eek:
Where did you get yours from, and how much did it cost before shipping?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, I've had some prices for the Digital 6+ and the Digital SCI+ From what I've heard, you guys say to get the Digital 6+ because the SCI is exactly the same unit, but it's more bucks. However, the prices I'm getting in the UK show that it's cheaper for me to get the SCI Digital + (about $55 cheaper). So before I go ordering, is there anything the Digital 6+ does that the Digital SCI+ DOESN'T do?
Just wanted to clear this in my head before I order a lower "performing" product. From what I see on the MSD website, the SCI has an adjustable stage retard, whereas the Digital 6+ has a single stage retard. But the SCI doesn't mention the stard retard facility (which from what I've heard is best shut off anyway!)
Thanks again, and sorry if I'm boring anyone! :p

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
the digital 6+ and the SCI+ are the same thing, with different paint. msd tried marketing the sci series ignitions towards import owners and they all have higher prices. if you want, i can ship you a digital 6+ if you pay for it. i can claim the value of the goods to be less than what it actually is, and it shouldn't cost that much for you... i think it would be around $30 to ship it on my end, I'm not sure how much it would cost once it's in the UK. the digital 6+ ignitions are about $300 shipped from www.summitracing.com (shipped to the states). let me know if you want my help with any of this, my contact info is in my sig.

Ben

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help Ben. I've got a few prices, and it's going to work out at roughly £290 delivered to my door by a UK company. (This is approximately $490). Your offer is much appreciated, but by the time it's come into the country etc, I wouldn't be saving that much money. Plus if anything goes wrong with the ignition once it's fitted, I will have some good comeback with the UK company that I order from.
Thanks again anyway.
It's a bitch living in the UK!! :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts