Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
honda/acura ignition systems are very good from the factory.
people that get MSD ignitions to go along with their i/h/e mods are just wasting their money on the aftermarket ignition.

unless you have a naturally aspirated motor with a compression of more than
11:1 you DONT need an msd setup.

even with a basic turbo or supercharger kit you dont need the MSD setup as long as you dont run insane ammounts of boost.
in most cases just some aftermarket wires (ngk, magnecore) and a set of plugs that are one/two ranges colder will do just fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
this is a common misconception in the Honda world ^^^

yes the factory setup is great and performs great.

but there is room for improvement. as much not from direct power increase,(which is usually where the typical honda enthusiast snubs there nose up)
but easier cold starts, increased gas miliage, a bit of increased throttle response, also lower emmisions will result.

MSD makes good parts and if you need them, they work well.

As such, things like the MSD coil's are a good cheap(er) replacement than brand new factory option if you have older chassis cars that can sometimes suffer from coil and ignitor failure such as my 89 crx did.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
4dr said:
As such, things like the MSD coil's are a good cheap(er) replacement than brand new factory option if you have older chassis cars that can sometimes suffer from coil and ignitor failure such as my 89 crx did.

thats true. but if its not broken dont fix it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Its funny, the DOHC guys (not saying that you are or not) just referenceing,

but anyways the DOHC guys are usually the ones touting the stock honda ignition and never to stray away from OEM and all that...

while about 90% of anyone running faster than 14's on our SOHC site are utilizing MSD ignition parts in one form or another... especially those on nitrous. Could they run the stock ignition, yes. But theres defintly a reason why they dont.

hint: most of those guys are old bow tie or ford v8 tuning guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts